Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sanctioned psykers
Closed Thread
Old 11 Aug 2006, 20:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Sanctioned psykers

I'm considering adding some to my IG force but I have a few questions first

1. Phsysic powers , I know you roll a dice to decide which one however I don't understand whether you select a power at the start of each turn or if you select a power at the start of game and can only use that power and only use it once, can someone explain

2. What are your opinions on this unit?

thanks in advance

Rapouc

Dark Vault Games for quality service at a minimum discount of 10% off GW prices. Free Delivery on orders over 50! Great Service , I highly recommend them.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 23:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Sanctioned psykers

Heya,

I'll just drop a brief bit to get you started, hopefully someone else who uses them extensively can give you a proper low down.

1) You roll a dice before the game starts. The codex unfortunately doesn't tell you anything (that is, unless I'm hopelessly blind here). That roll is your power for the game. This looks like the same thing as minor psychic power charts of other races. You get a random power by rolling it before the game begins. It's possible to get no power too, on a 1. Every other roll gives you an option. Obviously, the more Psykers you have, the more changes you get to have a little bit of everything.

2) Personally, I like them. But like most things, too much can be too much. I know they're used to sneak in Honorificas, which is shady at best, but it's there. They're not too expensive, really. So that's not so bad. Their powers are either useless, or very useful. For example, the extension of the officer's leadership radius is pretty nice. The other powers generally are very hit or miss. One thing to play close attention to is that he only has leadership 8. You will not always pass the psychic test. Also, a single peril of the warp attack will pretty much kill him instantly. Now, they could be really cool for adding them as attached advisers to platoon squads, but you have to have a ton of advisers to truly achieve that. A minimum of about 2 or 3 before you finally get to attach them to normal squads. That's pretty annoying. Otherwise, it would be nice to add that leaderhip 8 character for his cost, to normal infantry squads. So if you took a full list of 5 psykers, yes, you could probably pull that off. Unfortunately, you cannot ever get them to join conscripts (that would be completely wonderful, though impossible). When you do roll your powers, a roll of 2 is your best option (in an officer squad). Remember, his BS value is low. So even if you got the Lightning Arc skill, he will only hit on a 5+. That's really poor even if it does have D6 shots. Still though, it's better than the other powers which basically require you to be in a situation where normal guardsmen would probably be dead anyways. Though the psychic ward can be very useful, fighting armies with psychic powers. Definitely do not by a force weapon for them. In fact, don't buy anything for them at all. If you really were to buy anything, it should probably only be, at best, carapace armor if you were attached to a unit of storm troopers, as a means to maintain majority armor saves and possibly a surveyor. But really, you should leave the armory alone for these guys.

Fun unit. Not overly effective truly unless you get lucky with your psychic power rolls and depending which unit each one was attached to. For example, it's completely worthless if you rolled the Telepathic Order while attached to a squad of Storm Troopers or an Infantry Squad of some kind. So keep that in mind. You will often have all kinds of odd conflicts of use.

Cheers!
Old 12 Aug 2006, 00:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Definitely do not by a force weapon for them. In fact, don't buy anything for them at all. If you really were to buy anything, it should probably only be, at best, carapace armor if you were attached to a unit of storm troopers, as a means to maintain majority armor saves and possibly a surveyor. But really, you should leave the armory alone for these guys.
I thought one of the sneaky things to do with a Psyker was to give him a Honorifica and a force weapon... basically turning him into a HSO thats packing a Force Weapon. Considering how truly little I know about the IG that could be grossly wrong.
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 12 Aug 2006, 01:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgue
I thought one of the sneaky things to do with a Psyker was to give him a Honorifica and a force weapon... basically turning him into a HSO thats packing a Force Weapon. Considering how truly little I know about the IG that could be grossly wrong.
It is the one sneaky thing that people use them for, but honestly, why go through all those points and trouble for that? Unless you're specifically needing that force weapon to kill something that will require a 5 or 6 to wound, it's just a high priced "chance." If you need assault support that bad, you've got ally options and things like Rough Riders really. And anything that dangerous and that beefy that would call for a force weapon's ability, well, honestly better of hosing it with shooting attacks.

You're quite right about what it does.
The question is, if it's honestly worth it to you (on top of already having your original HQ).

Cheers!
Old 12 Aug 2006, 17:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

the thing is that a lot o people know about this trick so if the psyker is WYSIWYG with any frm of wepon chances ae he's got honourifica,

I know one player who gives it to his vet sergeant from abasic gaurd squad as no-one expects it,

giving him the honours alsogive him a higher Ld as well,

My psyker is taking the honours mainly because of the background
Old 13 Aug 2006, 16:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Chugmuffin

I HATE psykers!!!!!!! The fact that the powers that you use are random is what I don't like about them. Say you're standing next to an immmoblised enemy tank for 5 turns and in those 5 turns you roll: 1, 3, 1, 2, 5 and on that 5 you roll a 1 after passing the psychic test, now you must wait until you roll another 5 to try to glance or penetrate the vehicle.
- Wargamer...
Old 13 Aug 2006, 17:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugmuffin
I HATE psykers!!!!!!! The fact that the powers that you use are random is what I don't like about them. Say you're standing next to an immmoblised enemy tank for 5 turns and in those 5 turns you roll: 1, 3, 1, 2, 5 and on that 5 you roll a 1 after passing the psychic test, now you must wait until you roll another 5 to try to glance or penetrate the vehicle.
You don't roll for your power each turn, you only roll once before the game. Your psyker is stuck with that power for the whole game.
Old 13 Aug 2006, 18:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That's the reason we get them for such a low price. They are pretty fluffy, but rather useless in the average game. What I know some people do is they roll the dice for their psykers all at once and then assign the psykers to the squads depending on their power. Most of them however have a HI on one and attach this one to their command squad come hell or high water.

Chimeras Forever!
Old 13 Aug 2006, 20:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

i think psykers are dumb except for fluff. they cant hit, they die easy, they have some random ineffective power that you will try to use, causing more harm than good getting it to bear. fluff. either that or the honorifica/force weapon if you want a command squad that is at best MEDIOCRE at assault. lotsa points for that route and not much return on your investment. you only get 1 honors in an army, and it is far better used on a hardened veterans sergeant with a powerfist. the psyker added to a command section is 1 extra wound of slightly improved meat and he is priced accordingly.

biggest problem i have w psykers is the doctrine slot they take up. some of the more useful doctrines like sharpshoot, light inf, stroops, iron discipline etc will have to take a backseat just so a couple of these losers can get on the field
Closed Thread