Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Leman Russ's Are they really worth it?
Old 11 Aug 2006, 09:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Leman Russ's Are they really worth it?

The standard IG tank (Leman Russ or LR's) just does not seem to add up to me!!!! I usually take two of these tanks armed with Battle Cannon (BC) and three Heavy bolters. But my enemies always, ALWAYS have an easy answer, be they space marines with Lascannons, Tau with Rail guns, or Eldar with bright Lances!!!!!

My ususal army list is 1500pts with two platoons of three squads, two LR's, and different squads depending on the enemy.

My LR's usually scatter on the Battle Cannons and the Heavy Bolters either miss or can't wound or get saved by all the "F"ing power armour.

I have only had a few battles where my LR's actually do something,

In most of my battles my guard infantry, YES GUARD INFANTRY, actually kill most of the enemy with their heavy weapons.

I do not see why the leman Russ is so feared by non-Guard players, everybody always seems to have an answer to the high armour

Granted I may be just venting I am an old Chaos and Smurf player but I have been playing 40K for a long time. My new IG army is the first Static army I have ever played.

I just feel the IG armour is suppose to be it's strength and it really is not, the infantry do more with their numbers, at least in the last few games I have played.

Maybe I am not made for Guard, I have lost the last four games in a row
I had to vent :'(
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
irishoneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2006, 10:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Leman Russ's Are they really worth it?

Hey don't worry about losing four games in a row , this has happened to me I've just started aswell , I lost 4 games but just last night I won my first game versus tyranids.

Dark Vault Games for quality service at a minimum discount of 10% off GW prices. Free Delivery on orders over 50! Great Service , I highly recommend them.
Rapouc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2006, 18:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It is frustrating, I can't seem to get the tanks to be effective, how do you use your tanks?

Mine tend to be static, don't know what else to do with them
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Old 11 Aug 2006, 18:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

Got any upgrades for them?rough terrain modifacation,extra armour?They are useful but depend on how you deploy them and use them,try hiding them behind buildings fire the batlle cannon,have your troops charge/attack what ever you have them do,move the tank(s) to the next buliding and do the same thing.
I would consider a demolisher for the marines and necrons,give it plasma cannon sponsons or melta sponsons and it is deadly.
I hide mine,fire there guns,move them behind cover but only cover they can fire and see the enemy and take pot shots,can keep the heads down and enflict a few casualtys
Mrgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2006, 18:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

From a man who has lost many a squad to guard.... yes, they're worth it. What you need to do is try and limit LoS so only your target can see you.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 22:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I try to get behind cover when I can, I like to deploy my infantry in lines infront of my tanks, I like to setup as a sollid Battle line this. Cover does usueally not come into play, I lose alot of men but I dish out alot of fire power, maybe this is why I lose alot

here is how I usually set up

(infantry) --------------------------------------------
(Fire Support Squads) ------ ------- X (Hellhound)
(command Squads) ------ ------ (HQ) -------
(Tanks) X X

Any other specialized squads like Storm Troopers or Sentinals move fward with Hellhound or Hellhound stays back as a counter assault unit

I try to make this battle line work even if Buildings are in my D Zone, like I said it dishes out alot of fire power and can turn to meet flanking forces

I think it is a sound setup and the games I lose are usually close, what do yall think?

----

Old 12 Aug 2006, 05:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishoneall
Maybe I am not made for Guard, I have lost the last four games in a row
I had to vent :&#39;(
don&#39;t be like that, I didn&#39;t win a game till my third tournament, admittedly though, I started with Tau, they are kinda hard to start with.
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Shas O Dalyth Montau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2006, 06:31   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I dont know how much of a difference this will make, but I use my Leman Russes statically and I find that 2 heavy bolters and a Lascannon are more effective than 3 heavy bolters when used as a defensive fire platform.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 06:59   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Hey...have read the post.

Don&#39;t worry man, each one of us have our fair share of losses during the beginning.

As for the LEman russs, it is one of the better tanks. This is because it is rather cheap and very good at what it does: fire support. since the leman russ doesn&#39;t have a solidand the shot scatters(for main cannon only, not sponston), it is usually a good tank to kill some infanty.

However, the shot is powerful enought to also incapacitate a tank. So the battle cannoon is actually a rather weird but nasty way of killing a vehicle, particularly if the vehicle is surrounded by infantry or something like that.

I say go with the leman. tougher than a basilisk, and a shooting range better than the vindicator, this traits make it a rather nasty tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They&#039;re an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn&#039;t asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2006, 09:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to smurf

In your first post you said:
Quote:
my enemies always, ALWAYS have an easy answer, be they space marines with Lascannons, Tau with Rail guns, or Eldar with bright Lances!!!!!
As said above, if you can limit line of sight so they cant shoot at you then you&#39;re a lot safer, and also, it is drawing fire that is still most likely to fail against our "faith" or as it is better known "front armour 14". While this may not seem anything good, it means that the rest of the squad/tanks weapons will be firing at something that they cant harm. Against small armies this is a huge bonus

Quote:
My LR&#39;s usually scatter on the Battle Cannons and the Heavy Bolters either miss or can&#39;t wound or get saved by all the "F"ing power armour.
It is very frustrating when the tank scatters, but when your luck turns, and you dont miss all the time (which, lets admit, is just bad luck) it will be effective. Anyway, if you can put the battle cannon shell in the middle of the army, it could well scatter into another unit. I personally prefer Wargamers tactic of firing next to the target and ask the dice gods to scatter it into the target (and it works)

Quote:
I do not see why the leman Russ is so feared by non-Guard players, everybody always seems to have an answer to the high armour.
Thats the point. It is feared by all (apart from people who havent had WG&#39;s talk on the might of leman russ) and it does intimidate your opponent!

Keep the lemans in, work out the averages and find the best way of using them for you.

Nothing in life is forever, but none of your deeds were in vain
Deep in our hearts you will live again, you&#39;re gone to the home of the brave
R.I.P Kangaroo Joe
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote