Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Commisar Carl Larsen
Closed Thread
Old 10 Aug 2006, 11:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Commisar Carl Larsen

Actually this is more of an idea than a fully developed character, so I'd appreciat eany help at all makin him more fluffy, yet as balanced as possible. As such I have not added a points value, but he should be somewhere in the region of 70 pts

With a roar Lt Behe's platoon arose and charged over the lip of the trench. Meeting the rush of greenskins headon in a mighty clash of steel and admantium the fight dissintegrated into a melee. A huge ork nob entered the fray and began tearing through the guardsman, flinging them aside as if they were mere dolls. A short distance away Commisar Larsen watched the massacre through his magnoculars. Calmy running the calculations in his mind he saw only one way to avoid the left flank folding. He jumped down from the parapet and walked over to the heavy bolter team that had just set up to cover the charge.
"Heide," he shouted "fire on those orks to the left"
"Sir?" The gunner ventured (2nd platoon is locked on combat with them, we might hit our own men)
"Heide, if you plan on breathing this sweet air any longer, I suggest you shoot those Fething orks before someone else takes your place." Larsen had a way of being nonchalant about field executions.
"Aye sir" Heide spat through grit teeth (which was quite an achievement actually) and pointed the barrel of his Heavy Bolter in the direction of the assaulting orks. A hail of explosive bolts washed accross friend and foe alike as both sides fell to the ground in bloody piles.
When it was over Heide slumped onto his knees and retched violently.
"They were dead already, we had to save the flank" Larsen assured him quietly. Heide didn't care. In that moment he knew that he hated the commissar with all of his soul and that he would kill him the first chance that he got."

Alright that was the fluff now for the stats and rules.
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Cost[/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr][tr][td]Commisar Larsen[/td][td]95pts[/td][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]2[/td][td]10[/td][td]5+[/td][/tr][/table]

An Imperial Guard amry of 1000pts or more may include Commissar Larsen. If you take him he counts as an HQ choice in the army. He must be used exactly as described below, and may not be given additional equipment.

Wargear Bolt Pistol and powersword. May have his flack jacket upgraded to carapace armour for 5pts.

Special Rules

Ruthlessly Efficient
Any unit that he is attached to will have the option of firing on an enemy unit that is locked in combat with one of their own units. To do this the unit has to take a leadership check on his leadership. Should they fail the check he is removed from the board as a casualty and the unit that he was attached to counts as pinned for a turn. This reflects the unit stopping all that they are doing and killing the commisar. Should the unit pass the check they proceed to fire on the selected target as per the usual shooting rules. There is however one exception. All wounds that are recieved by the enemy are added to the next assault turn's combat resolution. (here I'm not sure of what should happen next, but here's my best try). Should the allied unit locked in combat win the engagement both sides locked are removed from the board as casualties, both sides having been gunned down by the indescriminate fire. If conversely the enemy still wins the combat, they cannot consolidate, but recieve a 5+ invulnerable save (as they sudden onset of fire spurs them to ignore wounds normaly taken) during the next shooting phase.

Fear me, but follow
All units within 12" of the comissar so fear his fire, that they fight extra hard when ingaged in close combat. As such all units recieve +1 attacks in addition to any they may have already recieved due to charging into combat or having 2 ccw.

Independant Character
Larsen is an independant character and follows all of the rules for characters in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

Commisar
In all regards Larsen is still a commisar and as such obeys all of the rules as set out on page 41 of the Imperial Guard Codex. The one exception to this is when he performs the Ruthless Efficiency leadership check.

So that's it. What do you think? I personally think that he is extremely fluffy and as such would appreciate it if you could try and make him work.

Chimeras Forever!
Old 27 Aug 2006, 17:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Commisar Carl Larsen

Wow thats one evil dude...
Old 29 Aug 2006, 11:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks a lot. I think that he is actually a pretty good embodyment of the Imperial attitude of results above all else. Do you have any suggestions for points or for rules. Do you think that he's balanced?

I'm also curious about what the big IG posters here think of him.

Chimeras Forever!
Old 01 Sep 2006, 08:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

I'm not too experienced with IG, but I don't need to be for this comment: I like it, but here's the thing: the ability to shoot into combat should cost a good bit more than 95 points.....if even allowable at all :\

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 02 Sep 2006, 11:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

My appologies. In the last week I got a good response from the IG boards on 40kO. Here is my newest version: Click Also the shooting is randomised as to prevent exploitation to the rule and also to stop the use of powerful allies.

The number 95 comes from a multiple of factors (I based it as much as possible on the codex), please post a value that you prefer.

Cost Ws Bs S T W I A Ld Sv
Commissar Larsen 96pts 4 4 3 3 3 4 2 10 5+

An Imperial Guard amry of 1000pts or more may include Commissar Larsen. If you take him he counts as an HQ choice in the army. He must be used exactly as described below, and may not be given additional equipment.

Wargear: Bolt Pistol and powersword. May have his flack jacket upgraded to carapace armour for 5pts.

Special Rules

Ruthlessly Efficient
Any unit that he is attached to will have the option of firing on an enemy unit that is locked in combat with one of their gaurd infantry or conscript units. To do this the unit has to take a leadership check on Larson's leadership. Should they fail the check he is removed from the board as a casualty and the unit that he was attached to counts as pinned for a turn. This reflects the unit stopping all that they are doing and killing the Commissar. Should the unit pass the check they proceed to fire on the selected target as per the usual shooting rules. Roll 1d6 for each hit. On a 4+ they are allocated to the enemy, otherwise they are allocated to the friendly unit. Wounds are resolved as normal. These wounds are then added to the combat resolution of the locked units. Should the locked friendly unit survive the combat they count as pinned. (A -1 LD modifier is also being playtested)

Fear Me, but Follow
All guard infantry or conscripts within 12" of the commissar so fear his fire, that they fight extra hard when engaged in close combat. As such all models recieve +1 attacks in addition to any they may have already recieved due to charging into combat or having 2 ccw.

Independant Character
Larsen is an independant character and follows all of the rules for characters in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

Commissar
In all regards Larsen is still a commisar and as such obeys all of the rules as set out on page 41 of the Imperial Guard Codex. The one exception to this is when he performs the Ruthless Efficiency leadership check.

So please help me with the points cost. I think that 96 points sounds fair:
Commissar + Independant + Boltpistol + Powersword + Regimental Standard + 2 * (Hardened Fighters).

Any advice that you have will be integrated into this guy if possible, so please post whatever you think. The guy has been nerfed a bit to make him a little more balanced, but points cost is still at a prelimianry value. Any playtester experience would also be awesome.

Chimeras Forever!
Old 03 Sep 2006, 23:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

I like him. However I think the enemy should take the pinned result in the same way as the friendly unit, personally. As it is now the risks outweigh the benefits a bit too much for anyone to take advantage of the rule too often. Other then that he seems fairly solid, especially since a bad leadership tests easily removes him from play. Though perhaps you should make it where they use the units leadership rather than his to make the Ruthlessly Efficient test.
Old 06 Sep 2006, 13:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks.
I really like the idea of him pinning the enemy unit and think that that's a definate must. I was also thinking that more of an advantage was needed.

I'm not too sure about the use of the infantry's leadership. I would have thought that his presence and the fear assaociated with that is what determines whether the listen to him or kill him. Alternately you can argue that they test to see if they are brave enough to take him on, but I'll have to think about it a bit more.

I'm just afraid that while he's very dramatic and fluffy, the downside of him dying that often makes him more os a pointsink than he's worth. I'll try it out a bit.

Thanks for the advice.

Chimeras Forever!
Closed Thread