Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Simple IG Tactics Question
Closed Thread
Old 09 Aug 2006, 13:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Simple IG Tactics Question

I'm thinking about starting an IG army to take to the UK Grand Tournament and have a question. Please humor me as I know very little about IG and have been away from the hobby for some time (im a little out of touch).

First and formost Ive always loved the IG models and the fluff, the only thing holding me back from starting a guard army is tactics. Every guard army Ive ever faced (I'll admit thats not very many) have always played very static. Basically lining up with a few platoons, heavy weapons teams and tanks across their deployment zone and waiting for me to come towards them. Now I don't like playing that way (previous army's are mech tau and eldar) and I was just wondering if anyone here uses guard in a mobile way. I realise that I could just take a load of tanks but I still want to keep the bulk of the army as regular guardsmen if possible.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just wanted to know if this is feasible before going out and spending money on a Codex and Battleforce.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 01:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Simple IG Tactics Question

You have come to the right army.
We have mobility like nobody's business.

The reason that you see so many static armies is that this is one of the best and most consistent fighting styles available to the imperial guard. The imperial guard have terrible armour saves (to the point of being more valuable against other guard players than any other army really) and really weak standard weapons. To make up for it we have extremely cheap squads and plenty of tanks. In these squads you can put a lot of firepower. And I mean a lot. So if you play to your strengths you will have an extremely powerful army that has to stay static to fire the squad mounted weapons. That's the basic gyst of it.

However there are alternatives. We have access to 3 sepparate sets of rules that allow us to ignore all of this.
The first is the armoured company.
Who wouldn't love killing your opponent with around 10 pie plates a turn?

The second is the death world vets/catachan rules that allow for some extremely interesting infiltration/special ops armies.

The final set is the doctrine system. This allows for a few variations that could make you more mobile than any other army around (including mech tau or eldar). These allow for variations on the rules, but with some added limitations and a lot of extra risk. Ones I suggest that you look up are: Light Infantry, Mechanised and Drop Troops. Mechanised generally play almost as static as the Standard imperial guard but has the added option of mounting up and redeploying elsewhere. The Light Infantry can infiltrate the entire army into useful positions from where they can use cover and ablative shielding (guardsmen) to protect their heavy weapons. The most mobile that you can get is the Drop troops doctrine. This allows you to deepstrike the entire army into the enemy lines and kill them with all of the special weapons that you can bring to bear. While this is extremely risky it is also extremely rewarding when pulled off.

So as you can see the imperial guard has to remain static to let it's main strengths shine through, but it also has the option of being a flexible mobile army.

I suggest that you look around some of the tacticas and perhaps buy a copy of the codex and then post us your list when you have formed your ideas.

Chimeras Forever!
Old 10 Aug 2006, 08:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

Mobility, yes my army has a tonne, my Sentinels... with drop troops doctrine are a nightmare to enemies...
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 10 Aug 2006, 13:32   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for that guys, I think I just needed some reassurance that I would be able to play my kind of game with a guard army.

Once pay day roles around (hurry up!) I'll get the codex and give you a sample list to have a look at.

Thanks again.
Old 13 Aug 2006, 01:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiteful
The second is the death world vets/catachan rules that allow for some extremely interesting infiltration/special ops armies.
Unfortunately this is no longer an option as the codex has been replaced with the normal Imperial Guard codex.

Quote:
Mechanised generally play almost as static as the Standard imperial guard
This is very untrue as every Mechanised force i have ever seen is all about plowing forward plie out hope not to die then shoot everything that you can untill they die then repeat.

Quote:
The most mobile that you can get is the Drop troops doctrine.
Not realy is does not make you any faster unlike both Mechanised and Light Infantry.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 20:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

there is no more catach codex for 'official' tourneys you will have to take doctrines.
most of them are dumb and too pricey, but a couple stick out
iron discipline in your command section
sharpshooters for any heavy weapons squads
light infantry throws off enemy deployment
die hard is nice for JO squads who arent expected to win, just to stay there and hold up an assault
drop troops is one of the best, but other gamers will accuse you of cheese especially if you drop sentinels on them

the ultimate guard army is the one with no additions though. if anyone had the figs to put this together it would rule the world, and unfortunately take an hour for every turn of moving it all.
-every squad (even command and JO squads) has a auto/lascannon or a heavy bolter (for the 5 man squads)
fill up your HVY with 3 stripped down lemans - weapons and track guards nothing else

squads squads squads

geez the basic guard inf squad with a lascan and no stupid upgrades is cheaper than 5 marines, and will chew them up easy

each squad can be considered as a model with 10 wounds and an angry lascannon.

i believe the gamergeek term for this kind of army is 'lasguard' and it is really really sick. too bad it'll take you a year to paint a 1500 point tournament force with your 30+ lascans and autocans... these are the decisions we suffer through
Old 22 Aug 2006, 15:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
the ultimate guard army is the one with no additions
No. No it's not. Although it can be very effective it can also be easily shut down. Few simple ideas infiltrating Chaos, Possessed with Daemonic Flight, a basic Space Marine Assault Squad and i could go through all the armies but that would take a long time and just be stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
geez the basic guard inf squad with a lascan and no stupid upgrades is cheaper than 5 marines, and will chew them up easy
No to both of those. One being that they are not cheaper than a 5 man Marine squad. And the other that they will not chew the them. Following the Law of Averages it will take 2 turns to kill two marines.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 15:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hey man, glad you decided to join the guard.

One mistake many new IG players make is that they don't move at all.

You have to take advantage of your ability to rapid fire you lasguns.
You know your standard IG troopers are going to die, so why don't you speed up their death.

There is a squad of space marines 18" away from your squad of IG. Instead of standing there, shooting your lasgun once, run forward and shoot twice. First of all, you lighten the amount of casualties you take by killing some of the space marines, and second of all, you get to rapid fire when you're still in full strength (until the SM turn).

A major problem most IG beginners have is they depend on their deployment to win them the game. Moving, as an IG player, is almost as essential as the heavy bolter. :P

Old 26 Aug 2006, 03:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm not gonna lie to you, IG can never be as mobile as Mech Tau or Skimmer Eldar despite what people are saying. It does have a different 'style' of play- but that's the whole point of having different Codex's right?

Many IG players do go the static shooty route and IMO it's boring to play with and against- all you have to do is deploy right and you win or lose the game dependent on that. With an adequate amount of terrain on the board (as opposed to the near deserts many people like to play on) a static IG army is in real trouble.

Other, more interesting routes are:

Drop Troops- 'mobile' in the sense that you can get them where you want them on the board, but definitely not mobile since they can only walk once they've arrived.

Light Infantry- again 'mobile' in that they can get to areas beyond their deployment zone rapidly, but they're only walking once the game starts.

Mechanised- definitely the only actual mobile IG army. But in most cases Chimera's should, and do, act as mini-bunkers, only moving to claim an objective in the last turns or to steer out of danger. A stationary Chimera sat within cover puts out a fair few shots, and allows the squad inside to fire a heavy weapon too- a fast moving Chimera is an easy target.

Armoured Company- okay, I lied- this is mobile too. It is a bit of an anomaly- being all tanks. It has the novelty value of being so unique and looking so intimidating but it's not much fun to play against once you've faced the wall of ordnance a few times. Kind of rubs people the wrong way that you've just took the most powerful units (the Heavy Support) to make a list. It may look mobile but mostly the Leman Russ wall just sits on it's board edge and shoots the enemy.

From experience, my favourite style is Light Infantry with Drop Troops. My army is designed to deploy as Light Infantry- many of the Infantry Squads having the Sniper Rifle (or the pathetic flashlight it is in 40k) as heavy weapon, so that they can advance without losing out, I also employ 3 Hardened Veteran squads that also advance for rapid fire goodness.

The ace up the sleeve is that when they face an army that can outshoot or outmanouevre them despite Light Infantry- then I can deep strike using Drop Troops instead. So the same army list has two completely different methods of conducting a game- infiltrate or deep strike. I think only the IG is able to do this and still be cost effective.
Closed Thread