Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Special Issue Shells- why we should use them
Closed Thread
Old 05 Aug 2006, 20:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Special Issue Shells- why we should use them

Many of us on this forum own the book Imperial Armor 1. Many, in fact, own all of the books. Inside each of these is what I consider a treasure trove of information, not only on pricy tanks like the Baneblade and Vanquisher but also something that, I beleive, is very often over-looked, something which can help you win the game very easily.

What is this mystery entry? Ammunition. Are you forever tired of your Leman Russ firing it's template at another tank, only to have the hole scatter off it and get a S4 hit? Are you tired of firing a battlecannon at Terminators and having them make their saves? Are you just plain tired of using the same tank, the same cannon, and the same weapons every game?

Well, Ammunition rules solves all of these problems and more! For free! Didn't hear that? Let me say it again. FREE. You don't pay one point for your Leman Russ to blow up the landraider by rolling two 3's, and you don't pay anything for shielding a command squad from the enemy bolter fire.

Are you a bit interested now? I hope so, because Ammunition rules are just one thing we IG players do not want to miss out on.

Tactica: Special Ammunition

A bit of description on the various shells you can use, and why and why not you should use them.

High Explosive shells (or HE shells)
These are the default shells you can use, and as a rule of thumb I would try not to use them when you are using special ammo, because whatever you're planning on them for, chances are another type of shell can do the job better. HE shells are just pretty much a mix of all that's out there, albeit with worse armor penetration.

Anti-Tank shells (or AT shells)
VERY helpful, definitely use these. In many a battle have I used these, and they have served me well. I highly reccomend using these on a Basillisk without indirect fire, because with the high strength 9 you can very easily "snipe" armor units across the field with the long range, and this has proved to be a very good tactic for me. Unfortunately the downside with these shells is they use our terrible BS, and have the time they will miss. (Note: don't use Indirect fire+AT because chances are your shell will completely miss the tank due to the lack of blast template!)

Vanquisher AT shells
Like normal AT shells, but only for Vanquishers and far better. On average, you will Penetrate armor 14. Very tasty.

Siege shells
Again like AT shells, except for the fact you use the normal blast and scatter rules. Very affective for bunker-busting, on average you will destroy the bunker especially if you use these in conjunction with your Demolisher, a very effective combo.

Illum shells
I personally don't play many night-fight missions, so have never used these. They seem pretty alright though, with the downside the enemy gets the bonus you do for the night vision. Illum shells are pretty much the same as Tau Black-Sun filters.

Infernus shells
Worth their weight in gold! Not only do they just kill infantry like normal cannons, they force the targeted unit to fall back- even if the unit didn't take casualties! Very effective against normally Fearless units that want to get into combat, having the target fall back can buy you just a little extra time before you get locked in combat, and time is critical if facing an assault oriented army.

Smoke shells
I haven't ever gotten around to needing these shells, but if an expensive squad is about to get torn to pieces by shooting, any cover save will come in handy. They can also count as smoke launchers for other tanks, which in my mind becomes a tactic about covering an armored advance very well.

Rare shells
Never used these shells, never will use these shells. They seem like an interesting idea, but for their pricy cost they seem worthless for a one-shot deal that could easily miss. They also need specific tanks to work, which is another downside.

Augur shell
Just about nobody uses Conquerors due to the new 4th Ed. vehicle firing rules, and even if they did I doubt they would use the Augur shell. The only potential tactic I can see for this is perhaps "denting" a land-raider so that more weapons can open up on it... but only on one side. Not worth the points, to me.

Hunter shell
I'd never subject myself to using this shell. There are a lot of other, far better, vehicle up-grades you can get for the cost of the shell, and the whole thing could just miss the target anyway... thanks, but no thanks. For a Vanquisher, statistically you would have a better chance of destroying the enemy tank with the free Vanquisher shell than this one, and you can only use this one once...

I hope this makes people use the wonderful special ammo more, and have fun!

EDIT: It has come to my attention that nobody seems to be giving a rip about my articles today, both of which I spend considerable amount of time preparing for this board. Is it something I'm doing wrong?
Old 06 Aug 2006, 06:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Special Issue Shells- why we should use them

Are these actually legal shells?

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Old 06 Aug 2006, 06:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
EDIT: It has come to my attention that nobody seems to be giving a rip about my articles today, both of which I spend considerable amount of time preparing for this board. Is it something I'm doing wrong?
3AM on a Sunday? Come on, most of us Aussies are asleap or out clubbing. And of course its us that give the best advice

I actually like the tactica in concept. It's a pretty good idea and allows for some great tricks that you can use. I can't comment in detail till I look them up in IA, but when I do I'll get back to you.

I just have a few problems. IA is not 100% legal (sure it's legal in a games sence, but you need the opponents permission to kill him which sounds like a bad idea by default). Secondly you only get 1 shot per game (so that 50% on average for the BS shots) and finally you could do a little explanation on each of the abbilities (although you'll have to be careful here).

Is it possible that you can give a small tactica for how to use these rather than just a article on the shells's abilities? Perhaps stuff like prefered enemies, on what units you attach them and how many you use. Just the usual stuff as I'm not sure that many of us have any idea of how to use it.

Chimeras Forever!
Old 06 Aug 2006, 15:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiteful
I actually like the tactica in concept. It's a pretty good idea and allows for some great tricks that you can use. I can't comment in detail till I look them up in IA, but when I do I'll get back to you.

I just have a few problems. IA is not 100% legal (sure it's legal in a games sence, but you need the opponents permission to kill him which sounds like a bad idea by default). Secondly you only get 1 shot per game (so that 50% on average for the BS shots) and finally you could do a little explanation on each of the abbilities (although you'll have to be careful here).

Is it possible that you can give a small tactica for how to use these rather than just a article on the shells's abilities? Perhaps stuff like prefered enemies, on what units you attach them and how many you use. Just the usual stuff as I'm not sure that many of us have any idea of how to use it.
Well actually, the beauty of the ammo is that unless you use another optional shell, you can fire as many of them as you want in a game! The other rule is for people who really want to get into the fluff aspect, so you roll certain amounts of D6's to find out which shells you can take, and how many of them.

I tried to give a bit of description on which shells does what, but short of giving you the rules I think there's not much really I can do, except give references to other rules like illum shell + black-sun filter.

On an advanced tactica: perhaps. It won't be for a long time as I leave for 3-week camp today at 11:00, but if I remember when I come back and if not too much back to school stuff is going on, then sure, I'll try.

@ Alex: This is a debate among many people, I personally am on the "yes, it's legal" side because of an official page in the front of IA1. However, if you told your opponent you were using special ammo (which you always should if you're using FW material) and they packed up and left without a word, I guess that's kind of "opponent's permission", too.
Old 07 Aug 2006, 16:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What page are they on?
Closed Thread