Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Grenadier theme army
Closed Thread
Old 01 Aug 2006, 03:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Grenadier theme army

Okay, so i've looked up thru page 4 of this subforum, but couldn't find a conclusive storm trooper themed guard tactica... and the tactica thing at the top is just a mess~

So.... if you will please, I have about 20 odd Stroopers as well as two chimeras lying around from my DH army and would like to expand into a full guard army.

I just love the look and feel of these guys so i want a guard army to be all about them.

thoughts? experience?

anyone did this, and found insurmountable problems?

I can't see what the basic role of the "grenadier" trooper would be yet. if they ride around the in the Chim, they are wasting the potential of the chim's weapons, or their weapons for the duration of the transport.

I don't see them doing a standup shootout as they're just not that good at it. They do okay in short range firefights, bringing their special weapons to bear, but then suck in CC.

so, what roles have people been putting their grenadiers in? do they succeed?
Old 01 Aug 2006, 09:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Grenadier theme army

Here is a list of hurdles you will have to face:

Hurdle 1: Will you go for the good old fashioned ST or the new pansy Kasrkin
Hurdle 2: Price it will cost around 60 for only 10 men, start saving
Hurdle 3: with metal models it is hard to get individuality, because every tenth man will look the same

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Old 01 Aug 2006, 13:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

obviously.. i am thinking more about tactical hurdles however.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 14:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They are good at several things actually.

1) Holding terrain. If you put them in a building your opponent must take, they can chew up any unit that gets close

2) "Chimera Rushing." Drop thewm out next to an enemy unit and open up on the target. Two plasma guns and a plasma pistol can cripple a space marine squad.

3) Death From Above. Using the standard storm troopers in the Elites section you can deep strike little 5 man suicide squads with Melta Guns and blow tanks sky high.

4) Big Bug Hunt. 3 plasmas weapons can make a mess out of Tyranid Monstrous Creatures or Demon Princes.

Thats about it really, not much else I use my Storm Troopers for.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 15:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I thought about the chimera thing, but it seems wrong to be wasting a multi laser and a heavy bolter every turn you spend moving.. ...

i don't know maybe a slow advance with nade launchers?
Old 01 Aug 2006, 15:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well you could take your three troops choice grenadier squads as ground pounders. Perhaps give one of them a chimera and keep it moving along slowly beside/in front of them so it's not wasting it's firepower.

Then take two allied Daemon or witch hunter storm trooper squads with 2 plasma guns and put them into rhinos.

Follow that up with three deepstirking and/or infiltraiting units of elite storm troopers and you've got potential for something that might work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 15:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well the obvious things like low numbers and if you come up against me (for the record not gonna happen) you will lose two squads a turn. with things like Heavy Bolters, Hellhounds, Missile Pods, Heavy Flamers and all sorts of other things that will just chew through you armour. Apart from that they're a pretty hard army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH

1) Holding terrain. If you put them in a building your opponent must take, they can chew up any unit that gets close
Like i have said heavy flamers or pretty much anything can take them down below half strength quickly so are no that good Holding objectives.

Quote:
2) "Chimera Rushing." Drop thewm out next to an enemy unit and open up on the target. Two plasma guns and a plasma pistol can cripple a space marine squad.
Yes but one squad gone is not going to win you a game. And after that you are pretty likely to get ripped a new one.

Quote:
3) Death From Above. Using the standard storm troopers in the Elites section you can deep strike little 5 man suicide squads with Melta Guns and blow tanks sky high.
There are 3 problems with this one. 1) That you can land way out of range and then you can find out for yourself how angry tanks can be after you have just tried to destory them. 2) You can land off the table or on the model you are trying do destory. 3) They may just not show up. Or trun up way to late in the game to have any real effect.

Quote:
4) Big Bug Hunt. 3 plasmas weapons can make a mess out of Tyranid Monstrous Creatures or Demon Princes.
Not if it's a T6 Statured Lord With a 4 ++ save. Or a or a T7 5 wound Carnifex.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 15:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnex
Well the obvious things like low numbers and if you come up against me (for the record not gonna happen) you will lose two squads a turn. with things like Heavy Bolters, Hellhounds, Missile Pods, Heavy Flamers and all sorts of other things that will just chew through you armour. Apart from that they're a pretty hard army.

Quote:

Like i have said heavy flamers or pretty much anything can take them down below half strength quickly so are no that good Holding objectives.

Not every army uses heavy flamers or even has accsess to them. You could then infer from your opinion that anything not an MEQ, TEQ, or Vehicle cannot hold an objective. You could use your Chimera to block LoS, or fall back deeper into terrain.. or my favorite, take a step foward and destroy whatever has ther heavy flamer before it gets to shoot. Using Storm Trooper teams in pairs is beautiful

Quote:
Yes but one squad gone is not going to win you a game. And after that you are pretty likely to get ripped a new one.

Which is why that other squad is also removed so on and so forth

Quote:
There are 3 problems with this one. 1) That you can land way out of range and then you can find out for yourself how angry tanks can be after you have just tried to destory them. 2) You can land off the table or on the model you are trying do destory. 3) They may just not show up. Or trun up way to late in the game to have any real effect.

Its 75pts. So what? If they do pop a tank...

Quote:
Not if it's a T6 Statured Lord With a 4 ++ save. Or a or a T7 5 wound Carnifex.

Which is why you send more than one squad