Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bad luck... or bad strategy?
Closed Thread
Old 27 Jul 2006, 17:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Bad luck... or bad strategy?

Yesterday I played a game against some Dark Angels who were using terminators. This player has appeared in a couple of mega-battles, thus I have loads of experience playing with him but this was my first time against him.

The battle went really well from the beggining for me. We were each allowed to set up terrain on our half of the board... thus his was mostly rock formations for guarding his advance while mine was bunkers and large hills to set up the "weapons of mass destruction" to maximum potential.

We were playing at his house on a ping-pong table, so I think the measurements were wrong (5x11 ft) and this slowed down his advance considerably while every gun blasted away at his 3+ armor saves. Well, roll enough saves and you'll begin to fail them was my axiom so by turn 3, there 4 marines left (without heavy weapons) on the table. Up until now, his grey knight termies and regular DA termies hadn't shown up so I took a "free" turn with just about nothing to shoot at to space everything at least 6" apart.

Then, all hell broke loose. Both termi squads appeared on target via deepstrike, and systematically massacred eveything within their reach. That meant: one mortar squad, and shocked a hell-hound. So there they were in range of everything in my army, and I let the guns fly.

Every gun fired at them, except the leman russ demolisher which was "locked in combat w/ the remaining marines", meaning that I couldn't shoot at them, and I also couldn't move away while the marines got to lob krak grenades. Cheese I know, but since I had forgot the rule book at my house I didn't have anything to support it on. Anyways... out of all those guns I killed one termi.

One termi- that's it. The game was pretty much over after that, because he managed to lock himself in combat and of course he won. So- was that bad luck or bad strategy? Because I had that game with "Victorious Slaughter" until the 2+ saves showed up...
Old 27 Jul 2006, 17:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Bad luck... or bad strategy?

That's pretty rare.

I'm saying he got lucky.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 17:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

very lucky, your entire army rapid fired into him and you only killed one guy?

P.S. what happened to my earlier post?

Old 27 Jul 2006, 17:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

A vehichle without a weapon skill can never be locked in combat.

Your demoisher was free to move, and free to fire that turn.

Deep striking terminators can be difficult to deal with, they're pretty tough.

I'd suggest that the best thing to use against them would be plasma guns and lascannons for their nice high AP and Strength values, as well as the (obvious) demolisher. That pie plate on a deep striking unit is fun times

One final idea:

Keep a small unit of six or so rough riders with hunting lances behind your lines, right near the board edge with a couple units near them. They'll be in a position that's hard to reach by deepstriking and with their great speed should be able to counter charge the terminators. Then they'll have 2 Strength 5, Initiative 6 (or is that the other way around?) power weapon attacks each on the termies. They might not kill a whole unit but they'll put a dent in it before they die.

Killing 3 40+ point termies is worth losing a 60 point unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 14:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think I'll go with the Rough Riders, as I like my low AP/high AP elements in my army.

Anyways, this very same friend has like 4 Fantasy armies, so he has lots of "spare" horse models in his bitz box.

Won't it be ironic for his to see his old models used against him? >
Old 28 Jul 2006, 23:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

you'll still need legs, dont even bother trying to convert plastic cadians or catachan to riders. I personally use knights of the white wolf as rough riders, using their huge warhammers to represent hunting lances

Old 28 Jul 2006, 23:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
Every gun fired at them, except the leman russ demolisher which was "locked in combat w/ the remaining marines", meaning that I couldn't shoot at them, and I also couldn't move away while the marines got to lob krak grenades. Cheese I know, but since I had forgot the rule book at my house I didn't have anything to support it on. Anyways... out of all those guns I killed one termi.

One termi- that's it. The game was pretty much over after that, because he managed to lock himself in combat and of course he won. So- was that bad luck or bad strategy? Because I had that game with "Victorious Slaughter" until the 2+ saves showed up...
It's more bad-planning than anything else. What were "all the guns" that you fired at them? Because, if you're shooting rockets and grenades and lasguns at terminators, I'm not surprised. Considering that lasguns against terminators are only expected to drop one termi per every 36 shots fired, I don't think that's bad luck at all. Where were your plasma guns and lascannons?

Although, your friend definately cheated if he told you he locked a demolisher in combat. You should have tank-shocked him if nothing else...

Old 28 Jul 2006, 23:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yep, I don't tank shock very often at all so I wasn't clear on the rules.

I did tank shock him to begin with, he failed his "Death or Glory!" test (using melta-bombs) and he told me what happened next was that we stayed in combat.

I"m not angry at him that much, on one hand his terminators were tightly packed targets for the plasma sponsons, and on the other he uses 3rd Edition rules so I think it was just a common misunderstanding, he's not the kind of friend who is super competitive.

Ellesar- I think I'll just use any left over Cadian torsos and whatever he has, since when I was going though his bitz box he was trying to unload all of these rare and OOP 40k and Fantasy models on me... a definite must, but next time I'll come with a box to fill up with.

And I ran the stats this morning using Mathammer and 10 Rough Riders including vet sarge and all with Hunting Lances charge a squad of 5 Termis, 1 with powersword... well it's all right, but running it a couple of times the law of averages decrees that he's going to probably have 1 Terminator left... but that's a serious problem because averages are usually off anyways and even two termis left would turn those horsies into mush. Any way of fixing that?
Old 28 Jul 2006, 23:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

fix what? you've remade twice your points costs before even taking any wounds. that's pretty darn good if you ask me.

Old 29 Jul 2006, 02:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
you'll still need legs, dont even bother trying to convert plastic cadians or catachan to riders. I personally use knights of the white wolf as rough riders, using their huge warhammers to represent hunting lances
please explain because the only reason I dont use rough riders is because they dont look year 40kish, so yea if you can convert them to look cyborgish or something with cadians on it would be fantastic.