Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Use of Nonstandard Leman Russ Variants
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jul 2006, 14:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Use of Nonstandard Leman Russ Variants

I've been wondering [isn't summer the perfect time?] about non-standard Russ variants.

Now, I have one each of every tank mentioned in 3rd Edition Guard 'dex, but I've been thinking about purchasing more versatile and unusaul tanks.

The Destroyer caught my eye, as did the Conqueror. I also thought about the Executioner.

What do you guys think? Has anyone had any good past battles using these tanks?

Thanks!
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 25 Jul 2006, 14:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Use of Nonstandard Leman Russ Variants

I havn't used them in battle, but I know the rules and attatched tactical theory.

Destroyer: It's an all-eggs-in-one-basket affair, and not all that good of one. It costs alot more than a standard Russ, and the damage you can do with it is realistically less than you can accomplish with Lascannons.

Conquerer: Much like genitalia of simmilar proportions, 'short but thick' doesn't cut it in real life. It's very expensive, and as of fourth eddition, it's one saving grace - mobility - has been nerfed.

Executioner: Now you're talking! It's a hot, and by that I mean 'white hot slag that used to be a Terminator squad' vehicle, capable of raining plasma death from affar and still sporting the standard las/hbolt backup armament.

My recomendations for the nonstandard Russes would be the Vanquisher, simply because there's a good chance none of your other vehicles will be shot at untill it's dead, the Executioner for coolness, and the Exterminator for dakka (err.. I mean combat efficiency).... [size=7pt]and dakka[/size].
Old 25 Jul 2006, 15:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have add on question. Can people play these without permission from the opponant?

Wanax
Old 27 Jul 2006, 15:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

They should be able to... I would imagine...

Anyways:

Destroyer: I just like the 'feel' of it... I'm not worried about combat efficiency, just the level of coolness. Come on, what commander doesn't want a Destroyer, as Mkoll says, its the sniper equivalent of a tank! I just think its a great model.

Conqueror: Again, I'm not worried about combat efficiency on this one... I just like the feel of it... its lithe, its smooth, and its semi-powerful.

Executioner: This is the one I think is really a shining star [excuse the pun] on the battlefield. Its powerful, its a great model, and its plasma... who can say no to a plasma cannon of death?

I think, if I get any, its probably going to be an Executioner... mostly because if I want, I can convert the other two.

Thanks for everyones comments. Does anyone actually use these tanks, though?
Stankov

PS: I already have an Executionr with 3 HBs... I converted it myself, it came out nice. And boy, does it work well!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 27 Jul 2006, 15:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

when it comes to efectiveness none of them are worth it.

destroyers: lascannons do a better job, if you want to tank mount go for a vanquisher.

Conquerors: an exterminator fullfills the same role, and does it much better.

Executionnaire: Its pointless. Get a dmolisher and you get twice as much plasma goodness plus the demolisher and the extra side armour. The extra range on the plasma annihilator really isn't that impressive.

For leman russes the standard russ is the best all arounder. The vanquisher is good if you have a BS 4 tank crew, demolishers are good for dense terrain, particularly urban. And exterminators are a nice cheap alternative to the normal russ, and are great as a solid base for anti-personel fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Conquerer: Much like genitalia of simmilar proportions, 'short but thick' doesn't cut it in real life.
from a purely biological point of view short but thick is the ideal proportion.

Old 27 Jul 2006, 16:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

From the female point of view...

Anyways, Elessar, I see what your saying... and you bring up a good point... except I already have a Demolisher, and I don't like it THAT much... an Executioner has more character.

I guess I'm just looking for excuses to spend money on FW...

But, say Vanquishers are good [I have one], is it worth it having 2?

Stankov

Old 27 Jul 2006, 16:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i usually only use one, since i use armoured battalion rules(which means your squad commanders are BS3). if you use armoured companies then vanquishers are a great choice for you squadron commanders since it makes them BS4. in that case taking as many vanquishers as you do squadron commanders sin't a bad idea. but if you just use a vanquisher with a regular army as a heavy support choice, its really a matter of personal choice.

Old 27 Jul 2006, 21:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, with 3rd Edition rules, they can be Veteran Status... I'd say worth another one. Anyways, I may break the model down to just a Leman Russ if I buy a FW model...

Thanks!
Stankov

Old 28 Jul 2006, 17:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Don't forget about the Thunderer. Leman Russ with no guns except a hull-mounted Demolisher Cannon. From what I recall it's not really worth it - the original LR Demolisher is much more killy and cost effective.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Old 28 Jul 2006, 17:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I did think about it... I actually liked it. It was blunt, ugly, and effective. Sure, it doesn't have fancy-smashny sponsons... but its simple and to the point... its a Demolisher gun-carriage... and thats the way to go, I think.

Also, it has a low profile, and just SCREAMS urban battlin'.

I like it, but I'm not sure how eefective it would be... and if you want a Thundered model, just get a Destoryer!

But I will think about that one... its an easy conversion, and one I would really liek to make.

Thanks!
Stankov

Closed Thread