Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Enginseer Servitors army help
Old 25 Jul 2006, 01:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Enginseer Servitors army help

Ive nearly completed my army and was wondering, should I take 2 techpriests each with a plasma cannon servitor, a heavy bolter servitor, and two techncical servitors as well as a signum. Or should i drop the signums and plasma cannons and use the points toward a squadron of sentinels instead?
Old 25 Jul 2006, 01:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Enginseer Servitors army help

well how many vehicles do you field, and how cramped together do your men tend to be. becuase if you dont intend on sitting on repairing techpriests really aren't that great since there weapons are uber expensive. If you do go for tech priests id reccomend taking all tech servitors, since they are the cheapest, and make sure your battlecannons keep roaring. But if you're not sure stay on the same side and go with sentinels. They are usefull in just about any force, and can carry weapons to deal with any situation.

Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2006, 03:01   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Right now I have two Leman Russ Battle Tanks and an armored fist unit. The tanks are generally used as artillery pieces, i like to use them to sit back and shoot. So i figure i would have a techpriest at each tank, and a heavy bolter with them in case the enemy gets close and I need a little extra firepower. Ok so now as for sentinels, which pattern would you say is the best for a typical Imperial Guard "shooty" force?
Old 25 Jul 2006, 03:13   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The Multilaser is a wonderful choice for Sentinels, as it's an amazing Infantry killer and even good (nay, the best!) at knocking out light tanks (AV10/11), including Side Armors. Being that you only get to take them on Chimeras and Sentinels, I'd recommend using one.
Mechanized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2006, 11:46   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Two techpriests without servitors is almost as much as a basilisk.

Assuming your Russes are standardish, they cost about 300-330 points
Two techpriests for two tanks (cos chances are the chimera will be forward out of their repair range) is overkill, you are effectively increasing the cost of two tanks by a third to about 390-420 points or more (dependant on weapons).
If you gave each one 4 technical servitors, (the cheapest), you need 470-500 points for two tanks.* If one of those is made to a plasma gun servitor each like you suggested, the two tanks cost about 545-75 points. If you give another a heavy bolter you need
575-605.

Unless you are playing 3-5,000 point games (and even then...) this is a bad lot of maths.* In a 2,000 point army, your two tanks, with techpriest to keep them working and servitors to help/cover, you have just used 20-30% of your points.* In a 1,500 point standard game, it is more like 40%.

For that points cost, bar the plasma and heavy bolter, you have two techpriest units who are only of value when/if the tanks are actually destroyed.* With AV 14 front and use of cover, you should be able to minimise damage.* And if you use them statically, the only concerning damage result worth using repair for is weapon destroyed, since you cannot alter (I think) tank destroyed or stunned, and immobilised is no great problem for a static tank.* Even then, you may fail the repair (damn those 1's!).

I would advise another tank, or sentinels.* Maybe a hellhound, to scare the enemy into firing at it instead of your tanks and maybe survive long enough to cause destruction.* Or a squad of deep striking stormtroopers to take out the threat to your Leman Russes and prevent them needing repairs...
bigwulfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 05:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwulfen
Unless you are playing 3-5,000 point games (and even then...) this is a bad lot of maths.
What are you stupid? In 3000 - 5000 point games you should not think about it and kit him out with as much as he can get.

Pewpewlazorz: Only take one it they are used to sit back and shoot then keep him behind the tanks have them close together and then when one get dammaged get him to work on it.
Carnex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 08:44   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
What are you stupid? You in 3000 - 5000 point games you should not think about it and kit him out with as much as he can get.
Your sentence makes no sense gramatically.

Are you suggesting that I am stupid for saying that you could perhaps spend so many points on the two tech-priests in a larger game?* Or stupid for putting in parentheses that even in a larger game I feel that such a choice would be a waste of points?
Old 28 Jul 2006, 14:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwulfen
Your sentence makes no sense gramatically.

Are you suggesting that I am stupid for saying that you could perhaps spend so many points on the two tech-priests in a larger game? Or stupid for putting in parentheses that even in a larger game I feel that such a choice would be a waste of points?
Edited. And im just calling you stupid.
Carnex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 16:18   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Edited. And im just calling you stupid.
Many thanks for editing.* At least I can understand your insult now.* I find it ironic that in your unnecessary attempt to insult my intelligence, you failed to demonstrate the ability to express yourself in English that was comprehensible.

Your comment was unnecessary.* If you disagree with something someone posts, it is polite to express a different view with a reason, not an insult
Old 28 Jul 2006, 22:18   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmmm..well I really wanted to use Techpriests to show how my army had ties to the Adeptus Mechanicus, so I was going to give them heavy weapons and tech servitors to allow them to both repair and provide fire support. So if i dropped the techpriests completely, would you suggest another tank...such as a demolisher? Or a squadron of sentinels?