Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Complete Guide to Heavy Weapons Statistics
Closed Thread
Old 24 Jul 2006, 23:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Complete Guide to Heavy Weapons Statistics

Please note that this is a Work In Progress, so any comments/critiques are much appreciated!

Have you ever toiled over which Heavy weapon to give to that Infantry Platoon? Or ever wanted to know exactly how many Lascannon shots it would take to down that Monolith? Well, here's your answer! In the following article I plan to outline each Heavy Weapon the Imperial Guard Armoury has to offer, including statistics related to each potential target, both Armor and Infantry! Never again will you worry about whether that Multilaser is better than the Autocannon against those darn Eldar skimmers, or whether to turn your Lascannons or Missile Launchers against that incoming Dreadnaught.

Before we begin, I introduce to you the Weapons Statistics Guide! This Microsoft Excel document outlines all the possible targets your Heavy Weapons can face. Even better is that it's not limited to the Imperial Guard! Due to Excel's brilliant programming, all the statistics given are based off a few easy-to-enter fields; Chance to Hit, Chance to Breach, Weapon Strength, and Number of Attacks! If you want to find the statistics for a weapon not listed, simply change around those fields and watch as the numbers change before your eyes.

http://www.webfilehost.com/?mode=viewupload&id=9354133 (You'll have to wait 30 seconds, then click the red "Click here to Download" link).

CONCERNING ARMOUR

Go ahead and open the spreadsheet, then come back here, I'll wait.

Intimidating, no? Don't worry; I'm here to explain everything. While it may look like a lot at first, it's really just a whole lot of information that leads us to a few conclusions. Before going over the actual weapons and numbers, I'll give a brief overview of what exactly each field represents.

Weapon: This is just the weapon name, and has no influence over any calculations. If you wish, you can change this name along with the other fields to find the statistics for a different weapon.

Strength: The Strength of the weapon for that Row.

Chance to Hit: Your chance of hitting with your current Ballistic Skill. Default is .5 (As most Guardsmen have a BS of 3), but you can edit the Chance to Hit as you see fit. (Hint: Edit the upper-most Chance to Hit field to change them all at once!).

Number of Shots: The number of shots your Weapon fires per turn.

Chance to Breach (Given a hit): This is about your Penetration roll. After hitting, this is the chance that you'll match or beat the Armor Value you're fighting.

Chance to Breach Per Turn: More of a novelty, this shows the chance of you matching or beating the AV of your target each turn you shoot. Not used in any other calculations.

Avg. Breaching HPT: Here's the important stuff. This represents the number of shots per turn that will match or beat the armor value of your target. Note that these are all decimals; this represents the fact that you aren't guaranteed a hit each turn (hence the usage of "Average").

Avg. Glancing HPT: This represents the average number of Glancing Hits you'll score per turn.

Avg. Penetrating HPT: This represents the average number of Penetrating Hits you'll score per turn.

Avg. Vehicle Destroyed: This represents the average number of 'Vehicle Destroyed' results you'll score each turn.

Avg. Destroyed vs. Skimmer <6": This represents the average number of Immobilized/Destroyed results you'll score against a Skimmer Moving Fast. Remember, all hits are downgraded to Glancing, and Immobilized results count as Vehicle Destroyed results to a Skimmer Moving Fast.

Avg. Destroyed vs. Smoke Launchers: This represents the average number of Destroyed results you'll score against a vehicle that has fired it's Smoke Launchers. Note that all hits are downgraded to Glancing.

Note: The SMF and Smoke Launchers rules effect the high-strength one-shot weapons greater, being as they rely on scoring Penetrating hits as opposed to scoring multiple Glancing ones. Therefore, you'll notice a severe drop in the 'Destroyed' results on lower Armor values with something like the Lascannon as opposed to the Multilaser, which fires severeal lower-strength shots. This makes certain weapons more valuable against armies with skimmers (Such as Eldar or Tau).

Turns to Kill: This simply means the average number of turns you would have to spend shooting with the specified weapon to get a "Vehicle Destroyed" result, and one of the best indicators for weapon effectiveness.

All set? Good. Now that you have an idea of what all that gibberish means, you can start to develop a sense of what each weapon's capabilities are. Oh, I almost forgot! At the bottom of the "Concerning Armour" section, there's a header about Melta and AP1 weapons. There, you can input the Weapon's information yourself, including whether it's a Melta weapon or not! Remember that AP1 weapons always Penetrate, except against Smoke Launchers and Skimmers Moving Fast (hence their own fields). The default fields show a Meltagun's stats.

COMPARING HEAVY WEAPONS AND ARMOR VALUES

AV10:

Ah, the lowest of the low. Even Bolters can handle this Armor level, and many of your Heavy weapons are overkill. Looking at the spreadsheet, you'll notice that the Multilaser and Autocannon outperform the other Heavy Weapons, both with over .25 Avg. Vehicle Destroyed results, and less than 4 Turns to Kill. Even against SMF (Skimmers Moving Fast) and Smoke Launchers, the Multilaser and Autocannon both shine above the competetion.

@AV10: Autocannon and Multilaser both perform the best, having results extremely close to one another.

AV11

Here we get into Side Armours and some lightly armoured Transports. The Autocannon is the best, with the Lascannon overtaking the Multilaser at 'Vehicle Destroyed' results. It should be noted, however, that against SMF and Smoke Launchers, the Multilaser moves ahead of the Lascannon again and ties with the Autocannon.

@AV11: The Autocannon outperforms all other weapons, with the Lascannon being better at destroying normal vehicles than the Multilaser, but the Multilaser being better than the Lascannon at destroying SMF and Smoke Launcher targets.

AV12:

A very popular Armor level. Many Skimmers, Transports, and Walkers share this Armor Value. Here, the Autocannon and Lascannon are the best at destruction, causing ~.14 'Vehicle Destroyed' results per turn; they also have the lowest Turns to Kill, both near 7. The Lascannon and Autocannon both tie in killing SMF and Smoke Launchers as well, with the Missile Launcher and Multilaser somewhat behind.

@AV12: The Lascannon slightly beats the Autocannon at destroying normal vehicles (difference of ~.026 results per turn), while they tie at killing SMF and Smoke Launchers. The Multilaser falls out of effectiveness at this level, and the Missile Launcher is still behind the Lascannon and Autocannon.

AV13:

Not frequently seen, but important. A Demolisher's Side Armour, for one thing! Note that the Multilaser cannot hit this armor level, so we're left with the Lascannon, Missile Launcher, and Autocannon. Here the Lascannon finally begins to shine, with a Turns to Kill score of 10.28, compared to 18 for the Missile Launcher and 36 for the Autocannon. Against SMF and Smoke Launchers, the Autocannon and Missile Launcher tie for second.

@AV13: The Lascannon comes into it's own at this Armor level, and is clearly the best choice against all targets.

AV14

The biggest of the big. Your Leman Russes, Monoliths, and Land Raiders make up this target block. The Autocannon cannot breach this armor, so it becomes a fight between the Missile Launcher and Lascannon. Not surprisingly, the Missile Launcher needs *quadruple* the amount of turns to kill than the Lascannon does (72 compared to 18).

@AV14: The Lascannon reigns supreme, clearly better than the Missile Launcher.

SUMMING IT UP: ARMOUR

Surprisingly, the Missile Launcher isn't the best at killing *any* Armor Value. For AV10, the Multilaser is the best choice by a slim margin, with the Autocannon a close second. At AV11 the Autocannon becomes a clear better choice (only slightly behind the Lascannon), however the Multilaser outperforms the Lascannon in dealing with Skimmers and Smoke Launchers. AV12 shows the Autocannon and Lascannon both being equally effective at taking down SMF and Smoke Launchers. The Lascannon shows it's true power at AV13 and above.

Against Normal Vehicles:

AV10: #1:Multilaser #2:Autocannon
AV11: #1:Autocannon #2:Lascannon
AV12: #1:Lascannon #2:Autocannon
AV13: #1:Lascannon #2:Missile Launcher
AV14: #1:Lascannon #2:Missile Launcher (Only these two can harm it)

Against SMF/Smokes:

AV10: #1:Multilaser #2:Autocannon
AV11: Tied: Multilaser and Autocannon
AV12: Tied: Lascannon and Autocannon
AV13: #1:Lascannon #2: Tied:Autocannon and Missile Launcher
AV14: #1:Lascannon

Alright, so you’ve got all the numbers down. How does this relate to you? Well, that’s what I’m here to tell you. Here’s a breakdown of each army and what vehicles they’re likely to throw at you, so you can pick the correct weapons against them!

Eldar: Skimmers are the name of the game against these blokes. Falcons, Wave Serpents, and Fire Prisms all have AV12 for Front and Side, with the other vehicles toting an awe-inspiring AV10 all around. The conclusion? Be sure to pack those Autocannons all around, as they’re the clear best choice. Lascannons are too expensive for their marginal benefit over AV12, and it’ll be reduced to Str 8 anyway with the pesky Wave Serpent rule. Your Autocannons, however, have no such reduction, being a jolly Str 7.

Orks: For cleansing those Greenskins, the Autocannon remains a good choice against their AV10/11/12. However, if your opponent is fielding a Battlewagon or some Looted vehicles, bringing along some Lascannons would be a sound idea as well; nothing sucks more than staring down an AV14 Leman Russ with no weapons to deal with it.

Imperial Guard: You’re facing the toughest armor in the Galaxy here, so be sure to bring along those Lascannons for knocking out Leman Russ variants as well as the occasional Hellhound or Chimera; mixing in a few Missile Launchers or Autocannons wouldn’t hurt.

Space Marines: Being that they’re so popular, you might want to take these weapons a bit more often in “Take all comers” lists. Everything besides the Predator, Vindicator, and Land Raider are AV12 or below, which means the Autocannon is probably your best choice. However, the Predator and Vindicator’s AV13, as well as the Land Raider’s AV14 mean that the Missile Launchers and Lascannons are your better bets; plus, the Missile Launcher and Lascannon will also aid against those 3+ and 2+ saves, to be talked about more in-depth in the “Concerning Infantry” section.

Dark Eldar: I can’t claim to have much knowledge on Dark Eldar, so if anybody wants to fill me in, I’ll edit this portion!

Tyranids: No vehicles here, just lots of big, nasty bugs that’ll tear you to pieces. I’ll go over them more in-depth in the “Concerning Infantry” section.

Tau: Only the Devilfish and Hammerhead to worry about here, with front Armors of 12 and 13; you know what that means. Bring along the trusty Lascannon for these folks, but if you’re pinched for points, the Missile Launcher won’t let you down.

Coming Soon: Regarding Infantry
Old 25 Jul 2006, 02:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Complete Guide to Heavy Weapons Statistics

Wow, you need Karma like fish got to swim and birds got to fly.

Good fraggin work, man.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 02:39   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks! The section regarding vehicles is almost done, but I'd like to include a piece about each individual army and which weapons are better against those specific vehicles. As well, I'm adding in a section dedicated to killing Infantry as soon as I can scrouge up some more time.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 11:56   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sounds good, but I just get a blank spreadsheet page downloaded with the title on the header bar...
Old 25 Jul 2006, 12:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Very nice work, but I could have told you the autocannon then lascannon for increasingly harder armor

Still a well thought out peice of work. Karma should be given.

BTW, sharpshooter doctrine's impact?

Wanax
Old 30 Jul 2006, 19:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd say auto-cannons and missile launchers against Tau because anyone with half a brain will be flying them around more than 6".
Old 31 Jul 2006, 10:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
I'd say auto-cannons and missile launchers against Tau because anyone with half a brain will be flying them around more than 6".
And how would you intend to take out heavier Battle Suits?
Old 02 Aug 2006, 20:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Broadsides might be a problem, but they are also static. At best they take our your Russ's. As a Tau player I view Russes as dangerous, but not overwhelmingly so, because they are really weak against my tanks.

Because the broadsides are static, a hardened vet squad with plasma or meltas could take them out. Also, in a balanced list you'll probably have a few lascannons as well.
Old 05 Aug 2006, 02:08   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Dark Eldar

Vehicles for them are the Raider with an Armor value of 10 on all sides. They also have another vehicle choice which is the Ravager, with an Armor value of 11.

I would say Autocannons would pretty much rip their armor to shreads. This has been my experience as well.
Closed Thread