Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

cheap
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jul 2006, 22:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default cheap

hey guys... its been a while. my move to the west coast U.S.A. from chicago required that i 'lend' (donate) my old guard army to my brother who some of you may know (redbeard). it was really quite a bummer leaving all that stuff behind but now i am situated and making enuff money to start a new 40k army. start from scratch etc. i wondered if any of you know the cheapest (dollar-ish, not points-ish) viable and effective force i should start with?

so far my idea is an armored fist, an infantry platoon with only 2 squads, a tank, some veterans converted from regular plastic cadians with extra bitz, and a command section with a commissar to start with... but i need to be able to fill up 1000 points. are there any other budget-minded ideas out there. i even left my old codex in chicago so i no longer have the points listings, and i cant find one around here - all the game stores in seattle are Wiz Of The Coast aligned so its hard to get what i need. i just got a box of cadian infantry to start with - nice lil' grey on black city-camo scheme, but i only painted 2 of them - 2 flamer guys for a spec weapons detatchment waiting to happen... i think the 3rd spec weap guy will be a scratch-built demo-charge based on the grenade-throwing arm from the cadian sprue.... (my job keeps me way too busy nowadays to paint entire squads at a time any more)

so let me get down to the point, can anybody who is bored enough help to design a 1000 point army and post it for me so i can go get the figs and the paint and get down to business. only codex units and NO ABHUMANS and NO ALLIES because i am a purist like that. i absolutely NEED a leman in there because they are our strength, and i am willing to tool it up with conversions as much as the points will allow... definitely track guards for a start. that'll eat a bunch o points.... i will take it as assumed that whosoever decides to help with this project can do the math, so statlines and final points costs need not be posted (gee.. when in doubt, assume it's a 3...) just squad contents... oh one more thing... voxcasters are necessary as is a HSO or honorifica JO, and make them battle ready, not hidey command - lead from the front types.

examples: armored fist, veteran sergeant, vox, missile launcher team, flamer, chim has 2 heavy bolters, track guards, extra armor, and a smoke launcher...

veterans (5) w. 2 plasma guns, carapace armor, sgt. has powersword, 2 w pistol and ccw... infiltrate

i can interpret and extrapolate from that level of detail.

someone help if you can... it will give you something to do and help me save money and still be able to geek out on my 40k. think plastic. lots of nice cheap plastic. i will show these washington gamers how we throw down dice in new york (hi sean w. - bet you didnt expect to hear from me again huh? nice necrons - at least they went out with a bang - um... and a boom... and a 'goddamit' hahaha).
Old 21 Jul 2006, 23:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: cheap

You want a vox network AND an officer who leads from the front? That's a bad combination really, since your caster becomes useless once you're in CC, and if you'll be with your men the whole time you can just use your 12" leadership bubble.(HSO and a platoon commander with Honorifica and you've got a 24" leadership nine radius. But here goes:

Command platoon
HSO with bolt pistol and power weapon
Commissar with bolt pistol and power weapon
Missile launcher
melta gunner
Master vox

Fire support with 3 autocannons

Infantry platoon
JO with bolt pistol and power weapon
Missile launcher
Plasma gunner

Infantry squad with lascannon grenade launcher and vox caster
(X3)

Armoured fist squad with missile launcher grenade launcher and vox caster
Chimera with turret multi laser, pintle heavy stubber and hull heavy bolter

Leman russ with hull lascannon, track guards, extra armour and sponson heavy bolters.

997 pts.
1 = slightly less than $2
To make this army you'll need:
Battlforce - 50
Troop Box set - 18
Chimera - 20
Officer Blister - 6
Commissar Blister - 5
bag of 60mm bases - 4 IIRC
assault weapon blister - 6

109 total

For the heavy weapon just put the Mlauncher on a normal guardsman, the lascannon on the tri-pod with a crouching firer and a normal guardsman as loader and the autocannons can be made by placing them on sandbags and/or the building ruins with a crouching firer and a normal guardsman as firer.

If you buy another battleforce and an infantry box you can add
3 lascannon
3 heavy bolters or autocannons
3 missle launchers
6 mortars
A leman russ
16 cadian soldiers

This would cost you 177 and give you an army that looks like this:

Command platoon
HSO with bolt pistol and power weapon
Commissar with bolt pistol and power weapon
Missile launcher
melta gunner
Master vox

Fire support with 3 autocannons
(X2)
Mortar support squad
(X2)
Anti-tank support squad with 3 missile launchers

Infantry platoon
JO with bolt pistol and power weapon
Missile launcher
Plasma gunner

Infantry squad with lascannon grenade launcher and vox caster
(X5)

Armoured fist squad with lascannon, grenade launcher and vox caster
Chimera with turret multi laser, pintle heavy stubber and hull heavy bolter

Leman russ with hull lascannon, track guards, extra armour and sponson heavy bolters.
(X2)
1700 points.

That's a pretty obscene amount of heavy weapon fire, and would pound most people into the ground assuming you keep them in decent cover. Throw in a 3rd infantry box and another officer blister and you could push it into a 2000 point army for 201 pounds. This may be more expensive than the average 2K point army, but it wont be one of those armies who spent half there points on useless wargear to make up points. If you're really short on cash just give me your budget and i can give you 1K, 1.5K and 2K point armies simply by adding doctrines.

Old 22 Jul 2006, 02:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I know how you feel. Im pretty low on money right now too. I say the best bet is getting a battleforce. That way you have almost all the infantry you need and the tank. Then from the tank sprue use the officer head and convert one of your officers. And then use the officer arms and the helmetless head to convert another officer. Youll end up having cadians including the 20 you already bought. Then all you need is a Chimera and your commisar. This will cost you $135. I dont think youll have enough minis to make 2 command squads and a special weapons being that youll only have 40 guardsmen. So if you buy the command squad box at $35 youll have a command squad right out the box. And then enough minis left over to make your special weapons squad but your going to have to use the wounded soldier as one of your guardsmen. Unless you use your 3 heavy weapons teams in your infantry squads. Then you can make your special weapons squads because this will be taking the place of those 6 guardsmen. Also your going to have a heavy bolter bit leftover from your heavy weapons squad so you can put that on your chimera. A quick list using these minis would be something like.

1010 Pts - Imperial Guard Roster - Unnamed

: Commissar (8#, 260 Pts)
0 Command Platoon @ 200 Pts
0 Command Squad @ [137] Pts
1 Heroic Senior Officer
Laspistol; Power Fist
4 Guardsmen
Master Vox-Caster; Lasgun (x1); Flamer (x1); Grenade Launcher (x2)
6 Special Weapon Squad @ [63] Pts
Lasgun (x3); Flamer (x2); Demolition Charge
1 Commissar @ 60 Pts
Laspistol; Power Fist

Troops: Armoured Fist (11#, 226 Pts)
9 Armoured Fist @ 226 Pts
Vox Caster; Lasgun (x7); Flamer; Missile Launcher; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades
1 Veteran Sergeant
Close Combat Weapon; Laspistol; Frag Grenade (Squad); Krak Grenade (Squad)
1 Chimera @ [103] Pts
Extra Armour; Smoke Launchers; Track Guards; Heavy Bolter; Hull Heavy Bolter
1 Extra Armour
1 Smoke Launchers
1 Track Guards

Troops: Infantry Platoon (21#, 341 Pts)
0 Infantry Platoon @ 341 Pts
0 Command Squad @ [101] Pts
1 Junior Officer
Honorifica Imperialis; Laspistol; Power Fist
1 Honorifica Imperialis
4 Guardsmen
Lasgun (x2); Grenade Launcher (x2)
9 Infantry Squad @ [120] Pts
Vox Caster; Lasgun (x7); Grenade Launcher; Heavy Bolter; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades
1 Veteran Sergeant
9 Infantry Squad @ [120] Pts
Vox Caster; Lasgun (x7); Grenade Launcher; Heavy Bolter; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades
1 Veteran Sergeant

Heavy Support: Leman Russ Battle Tank (1#, 173 Pts)
1 Leman Russ Battle Tank
Extra Armour; Smoke Launchers; Track Guards; Battle Cannon; Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter; Sponson Heavy Bolter
1 Extra Armour
1 Smoke Launchers
1 Track Guards

Total Roster Cost: 1000

Not the most amazing of lists. Some bs upgrades to fill points. But the army costs $135 and if you buy the command squad you can add a medic and standard bearer to the list. But everything i included could be made with a cadian infantry box, battleforce, commisar, and chimera. You can even take off a bunch of upgrades and give them Carcapace Armor to fill points instead. Theres a commisar w/ a powerfist and laspistol. As for the other two powerfists. See if you can get one from a space marine player or just put some bits together into a giant claw or something. If Yarrick can do it why cant you.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 03:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas19d
But the army costs $125...
exactly what dollars are you operating under? because a chimera, commissar, troop box and battleforce would come out to more like 175 USD, 200 canadian, and 230 australian.

Old 22 Jul 2006, 04:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

no the guy already has a troop box 135 is just chimera commisar and battleforce. i forgot to count the commissar so i said 125.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 14:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Centurion,

Ever considered making this Storm Trooper kind of force? Not just another Grunt Infantry with a Big Tank 1,000 point list? Could be interesting and you can make them for rather cheap (and they're effective). You can convert Cadians into Storm Troopers with minor alterations. You can alter the special weapons that come in the box to be whatever you need with minor work; flamers easily convert into a plasma gun and grenade launchers easily convert into a meltagun, for example. You could make up to 6 units of Storm Troopers, with the options of infiltration or deep strike on three of them, or Transport (chimera) options if you prefer that. And they could be backed up by the mighty Russ.

If you wanted to make more of an Armored Company, things would all be mechanized--this is not cheap (Chimeras are far from cheap). Taking a bunch of platoons and a single tank or three doesn't make an armored company. Anyhow, if you're truly interested in an armored company, you could take chimeras, a hellhound and a Russ. Inside your Chimeras could be BS4 plasma toting storm troopers. Much more effective at what they do. As for the actual "platoon type infantry," well, you can make heavy weapon teams with your officer in your HQ for that.

Just food for thought.

Cheers!
Old 22 Jul 2006, 16:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

For the first few games you might also consider getting cyber-enhancements. You dont need to model it, since a bionic leg and a normal leg look the same once the uniform comes on, and a mini-refractor field generator can be worked into the armour or helmet. It eats up points liek you wouldn't believe, and its not as inefficient as you might think. A cyber-enhanced squad with voxcaster grenade launcher and missile launcher costs you 108 points. 1/6th of 108 points is 18 points, so on average its only about 2 points inefficient, and its very handy against marines and tau where you dont get any armour save to begin with. Its especially good against space marines, when they pay masive amounts of money for a powerweapon and then you get to say: "Congradualtions, you just spent 15 points to turn my 5+ save in a 6+."

Closed Thread