Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Catachans
Closed Thread
Old 15 Jul 2006, 20:38   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Primarch
Default Catachans

I'm hoping to start a Catachan army soon (they are cool). I've read through the catachan rules and I can say I'm not really impressed, looking like they will be battered unless they are on a jungle board and if they are on a jungle board they will kick ass. Too unbalanced. So I went to the doctrine system of the IG, dissapointed again with the JF doctrine, too many points and not a great effect. So I decided to twist things a little...

Here are the doctrines I will hope to be using:

- Light infantry: I'm guessing an elite unit such as these would be able to adapt to any scenery, so this made scence.
- Drop troops: Ambushing. My best bet to make this work, not as effective as the rules in the catachan codex but its the closest were getting.
- Cameoline: Duh, these guys are covered in camo.
- Support weapons squads: Again the best thing to represent death world veteran assault squads.
- Hardened fighters: These guys are hard as nails .

Looks good, but here are a few ones I missed out. I would have liked to take the Veterans doctrine, letting me take more veteran squads, but I doubt I would use them in just 1000p games (what I normally play). I would also have liked to take the die hards doctrine, but I couldnt fit it in. Ratlings is another unit choice I would have liked (just using normal snipers, not the little guys) would fit the theme nicely.

So the doctrines are sorted, moving onto the army. I want this army to be primarily made up off infiltrating Deathworld vets and ambushing squads, a few snipers here and therewith some mortars deploying in an attempt to pin the enemy.

As far as the models go I'm going to be ordering the metal catachans, they may be pricy but IMO they are nicer models than the plastics.

So what do we think people? Any suggestions or advice on a list? Also if anyone could get any pictures of their jungle fighters up I would appreciate it.

Cheers ;D.
Old 15 Jul 2006, 21:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Catachans

Doctrine catachan are pretty klkn, so i'd not go with them. The doctrines you've laid out their are pretty cool, and should work well. but if you want a hard core catachan army look into getting codex:catachans. its ace, and its really brings out the eat-rocks-and-nails-for-breakfast hard-ass look that most people love about catachan.

Old 15 Jul 2006, 22:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like the deepstrike as an ambush, cool idea
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
Old 16 Jul 2006, 00:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

The only reason I didn't take the Special Weapon Squad Doctrine is because if I want to deep strike the special weapon squad I will have to put the whole HQ choice in reserves.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
Old 16 Jul 2006, 03:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

My thoughts:

- Doctrines If you can, play without them. GW offers a free updated version of Codex: Catachans on the website... that has a much better set of rules. Although they look great, Doctrines are, for me, constrictive. I personally hate them, and recomend you leave them as well. And, even if you do lose, who can say no to booby-traps?

-Models Metal models are not a smart move, in my opinion, for several reasons.
Price- They are absurdly expensive, moreso because they are in Classic/Collecters range nowadays. Seeing as you can't have tanks, you need a lot of infantry. So, I suggest plastic.
Model Conversions- You can make a lot from a box of Catachans and spare bitz. Commanders can be made, Leitenents, Heavy Weapons, and casualty models, not to mention all sorts of specialty units. They're more fun for me, and offer many conversions to fool around with.
Numbers- 60 USD on metal models: 10 models. 60 USD on plastic models: 40 models, with bitz aplenty. I think it's just not worth the money.

Just my opinions...
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 16 Jul 2006, 08:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Okay.... first thing first... you shouldn't have gotten me started :P

Doctrinated Catachan are no fun... too many points per model. On average your fleshing out 12 points per model there. Deathworld codex is 9 points per model. That means for every three models you can get another one over what you could using only the doctrines. Also, using the Deathworld codex you gain +1 weapon skill and initiative over normal guardsmen, basically this mean against MEq's you won't be hacked to peices before you get to attack back.

Although... flamers become more expensive, grenade launchers are cheaper. Also you have a variety of new units with the deathworld dex... i.e. patrols, snipers and my favorite... booby traps. You also get access to the 'better than hardened veterans' Catachan 'Devils' squads.

Deathworld squads don;t need to be 10 men either, they can be down to 6 each, and command squads can be as low as 3 models. Also platoon commanders are independant characters unless given to a squad. And the best part... we have access to the IG armoury and some of our sergeants gain access to 'officer only' gear.

Also, Deathworld veterans count as having frag grenades in thier specific terrain.

It states in the Catachan FAQ's that you can adapt the jungle fighting rules to suit a certain terrain as long as your army list stays with that specific terrain.

i.e.
-Urban
-Ice/snow
-Desert
-Forest/jungle
-wastes
-rock waste
etc.

This allows you to adopt the rules for ambush, difficult terrain and sight onto a seperate terrain set.
Also... using the creature feature you can bring a Beast Master to the table with either jungle wolves, Blood hawks or Catachan Devils as beasts... this can only be done using the creature feature and the deathworld codex.

All of this can be acheived by using the deathworld codex... i've tried doctrined catachans and frankly i think it sucks big time. Also... Catachan special weapon (assassult) squads gain access to the very brutal demo charges.

If you can't decide... then adopt Deathworlders into a normal IG list. Works wonders for the indecisive.

Old 16 Jul 2006, 10:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

But deathworld dont really get commissars(they do but they pop them often), and it dont get more hard-ass than commissar. Unless you get some sort of catachan stormtrooper commissar.

Old 16 Jul 2006, 10:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

another thing is... officers have access to carapace armour as well... And i find using a few commissars is fun and fluffy... like the imperium is trying to 'ware-in' the Catachans as a diciplined fighting force but have no luck as the commissars stationed with them seem to come to greif in alot of accidents.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 10:49   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Primarch

Thanks for all the constructive feedback! Gorrik (sorry if thats not your name, its hard to read/type) you've convinced me. codex Catachans it is ;D. Its going to be a difficult army to play, but I'm up for a challenge, and making/painting it will be a blast. I'm curiouse though, were is the Catachan FAQ?

*sigh* I guess your right, I need plastic Catachans. I'll get the metal models for the Catachan devils though.

I've had a look at the codex on the GW website. I really like the fact I can have smaller units in my platoons, makes tank hunting much easier. Snipers look awsome, the great thing is if the enemy does deal with them or tries to then they are wasting their time on just a 20 model. I love the special characters too, I can see myself using those soon.

I've tried to write a list, but I'm just not sure what to include, any help one what I should be having in my army would be appreciated. I need a 1000 point list.

Old 16 Jul 2006, 10:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

1000 points?

Well... your going to want (for a fire based army) 2 plattons, with 35 men each, maybe some sentienls, a command section with spec weaps and heavy weps and if you can fit it... some snipers.

Only use devil when you play games OVER 1500... otherwise they take to much up points wise.

PM me a list with what you would like in it and i'll see what i can muster up.