Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hardened Veterans
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jul 2006, 17:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Hardened Veterans

All this talk of modeling has got me wondering about the possibly the greatest conversion opportunity the guard has....Hardened Veterans. Because there are no models for them you have to convert. What do some of you do to represent these elite soldiers? I use Starship Troopers Light Armour Mobile Infantry models with some added bits and conversions.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 17:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Hardened Veterans

I'm converting some Elysians with Tau bits and pulse weapons.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 18:04   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hardened Vets -

If you have plastic Cadians, I do the following:

Use the helmetless heads with head set. The one most use for SGTs. Then add the backpack from the heavy weapons squad spure. That will give you 6 backpacks. If you want a full 10 man squad then you could model one as a vox caster and then use the radio backpack on the other three if you are using Plasma or Melta. Simply do some trimming of the antena and maybe add a little extra bit here and there.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 18:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

My Hardened Veterans were heavily scarred, had more blingy equipment and just generally looked worn but...well...HARD.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 12 Jul 2006, 23:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

For modelling any veteran-type unit [specifically Command HQ] I make things unique. Almost all veteran models have sculpted beards, as well as weapon straps, extra pouches, and little extra bitz.

Thats all one really needs to do to set them apart.

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 12 Jul 2006, 23:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I always combine catachan and cadian parts for veterans...
Old 12 Jul 2006, 23:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

for my Teutonian i use old 2nd edition stormtroopers. The beret gives them an air of elitism and superiority, and their big chests make them look like hard nuts to crack. Then i add a string of grenades across the chest, an autogun or similar weapon slung to their back and they're done. They dont have that wear and tear look most people go for, but they definetly look like the elite of the army.

For my Norska regiment i use stormtroopers to represent the inquisition assisting the otherwise primitive regiment by hunting down tanks and such. The lower armour save is due to the fact that this stormtroopers need to focus more on infiltration and speed, since they are sent in when the regiment is in danger of being overrun(thus losing all the candidates for marine-hood).

For my Gue'vesa i use catachan heads and boots with tau bodies and legs. I repace the pulse rifle held by the firewarrior with a lasgun, and give him a very hard-a** looking head and some knives. This makes them look like they've been with the tau for alot longer, and have been given more and more equipment to the point where they are firewarriors with lasguns.

For my Guerra regiment i never made any good hardened veterans conversions.. Since they're metal models its hard to do much with the overall body, and their gasmasks mean i can't really give them a hard looking face. So for my one squad i added chaos bayonets to the lascarbines, and replaced 3 muzzles with melta guns. I then used an ork-head carrying sergeant and replaced the chainsword for a cavalry saber and the ork head with a torn up Guerra banner.

Old 13 Jul 2006, 04:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

I'm going to use a catachan box combined with a cadian.Use knives(cut some off lasgun) and those backpacks(You get some in a cadian box to),maybe some greenstuff.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

ooo, my hardened vets...

I really enjoyed making them, it gave me an opportunity to use up all the 'odds N' ends' I've got, some chaosy stuff mixed up with catchan/cadian gaurd i thought they looked really nice..

Old 13 Jul 2006, 21:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
for my Teutonian i use old 2nd edition stormtroopers. The beret gives them an air of elitism and superiority, and their big chests make them look like hard nuts to crack. Then i add a string of grenades across the chest, an autogun or similar weapon slung to their back and they're done. They dont have that wear and tear look most people go for, but they definetly look like the elite of the army.
I didn't know you could still get hold of them - I've got 6 upstairs (back when small boxes existed my nana's local had a sale on :P), but due to a couple of layers of paint all detail's gone, and the glueing isn't fantastic either. Lovely models though - you're right, they did look hard as feth.
Closed Thread