Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stamp out the non-cadians!
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jul 2006, 22:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Stamp out the non-cadians!

While the debate of whether plastic cadians are better than metal or not rages on, something about plastic cadians become more clear day after day. They are GWs poster boys. Now this on its own isn't necessarily a bad thing on its own, but it has evolved into something evil. It seems they are turning into the IG equivalent of marines. Not stat wise, but the way they are treated. Tell a staff member you collect 40K and they will ask what kind of marines do you play. After they get over the shock of finding out you don't actually collect marines they will ask you what kind of cadians you play. GW has been consistently trying to stamp out non-cadians ever since i started.

When i first started off i saw a single picture of deathkorps troopers in the codex. I instantly fell in-love with them. I asked the staff why the codex didn't show any of those models. They told me GW didn't make deathkorps models, but i could convert some plastic cadians into them. So they flipped through to show me some cadian models and i saw the steel legion. I said those would be good. The guy looked at me rather oddly and said, yes some people make them out of those. So i asked where they are and he said they didn't stock them. I asked to order them and he said they where 20 for 10. I asked why they where so much more than plastic cadians, he said cuz they're metal.

Now what the hell does this have to do with plastic cadians you may ask. Think about it. In a 10 minute conversation the staff has just told me:
1) They don't make the regiment i want, i should use cadians instead
2) Metal models are more expensive than cadians.
3) They don't stock non-cadians
4) People who use non-cadians are weird.
5) Non-cadians are more expensive than cadians because they're metal.

now what effect does that have on a prospective player? It either turns them to cadians, or drives them away from the guard. i was driven away, and started a tau army. why would the staff lie to me? now i know the guy, he's a great hobbyist and collects imperial guard himself, and i know he's above this. This only answer i can think of is he's been told to encourage cadians above other regiments. why would GW train its staff to discourage other regiments?

Now lets look at something else. The original 5 regiments(im classing preatorians with mordians) all had the 5 heavy weapons available, but only 3 out of 4 special weapons. Then a plastic regiment was released. Plastic catachan came out, and they included a flamer, but no grenade launcher. So catachan still didn't have all special weapons. Then steel legion came out, they only had plasma guns and grenadelaunchers. So it seems the trend is to have less special weapons now. They didn't have mortars or autocannons either, so it seems the restriction now also applies to heavy weapons. So then plastic cadians came out, you'd think they'd stick to the trend, by not including a special weapon. NO! Not even close, not only did they make the first cadian grenade launcher but they also through in a new flamer in the sprue. But that wasn't enough, they then re-did the other two special weapons. But why stop their, new officers all around, and with different options! And we might as well go over the top and give them full heavy weapon sprues, with every single heavy weapon available, and in plastic! The imperial guard entered a new age, when players flocked to the ranks with great looking, affordable and option rich models. Now vostroyans are released, this great trend would continue, right? Wrong. Vostroyans didn't have melta guns, despite the fact that they are city fighters. They didn't get autocannons or missile launchers either, even though they are IG favorites. But what happened here? why would GW give cadians so many options but not the rest? Since sprues are computerized all they'd have to do is replace the lascannon on the lascannon team with an autocannons, then replace the battery in the loaders hand with a clip. Simple. Missile launcher? just take the lasgun arm off a normal vossie and give him a missile launcher arm. Then take the heavy bolter loader and replace the clip with a missile. What about melta guns? just take the flamer guy and replace the flamer head with a meltagun muzzle. Its so simple, the same thing can be done with steel legion, or all the regiments. so why would GW refuse to do such simple things to improve non-cadians?

Now we all know blister pack armies are expensive. We also know that metal molds are easier to make, so logically metal models should be cheaper. But their not, and for a good reason. Demand for blister packs is low, since lets face it, how many Daemonhosts does the average player own? but its different with metal guardsmen. A single army could have well over 150 models, and so demand should be massive. but its not. not because they're unpopular, but because few people can afford to buy them. So why would GW charge so much for (relatively)cheaply produce models with high demand?

And for my last point consider this: the current imperial guard codex shows 15 mordian models, 21 steel legion models, 88 catachan models, no preatorian models, 16 tallaran models, 27 valhallan models and 406 cadian models(and this doesn't include pages 10 or 11. if it did it'd be close to 4 thousand). Example colours schemes include 3 for valhallan models, 3 for mordian models, 3 for catachan models, 3 for tallaran models, none for steel legion or preatorian models, and 16 for cadian models. Theirs only two how-to-paint guides, and both are dedicated to painting cadian models in cadian colours. so why would the codex so brutally focus on cadians, and pretty much ignore non-cadian regiments?

What is the answer to all of these questions? I can only think of one. GW is trying to stamp out non-cadians. They've realized that they could profit more from cadians being popular than other regiments. their bean-counters have worked out that it would be better if they scrapped all ranges but cadians. and slowly but surely metal guard players are weeded out. slowly but surely other regiments are ground into the dust by the cadian boot. This, above all, represents the money hungry corporation GW has become. From the friendly neighbourhood hobby store, providing awesome figures and fluff it has turned into a machine that feeds of our love of the 40K universe. so what can we do against this?

Old 10 Jul 2006, 22:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin
Default Re: Stamp out the non-cadians!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar

Did he actualy verbally say that too you?

Quote:
This only answer i can think of is he's been told to encourage cadians above other regiments. why would GW train its staff to discourage other regiments?
I doubt that, they probably encourageyou too buy more metal models because of the price, have yo ever thought that he was trying to ease you into it, lainching into a death corps army is probably quite a venture when you've only just started thinking about collecting gaurd?

Quote:

This, above all, represents the money hungry corporation GW has become. From the friendly neighbourhood hobby store, providing awesome figures and fluff it has turned into a machine that feeds of our love of the 40K universe. so what can we do against this?
there's reallt not much we can do mate, you could always send your views in the post? You could always do an online petition or something :-\

-Annie
Old 10 Jul 2006, 22:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin
Quote:

Did he actualy verbally say that too you?
no, but he suggested i use cadians instead of death korps. when i said i could use steel legion he looked at me really awkwardly like saying "wait, not cadians? you sure you know what you're doing?"

Old 10 Jul 2006, 22:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

So you'd just started the hobby and you were going straight into the death corps idea? I think he was trying to make sire you got some experience with other models in gaurd, to help you possibly?
Old 10 Jul 2006, 22:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin
So you'd just started the hobby and you were going straight into the death corps idea? I think he was trying to make sire you got some experience with other models in gaurd, to help you possibly?
well yes, but he suggested coverting cadians to deathkorps. how the hell would that work. then when i suggested steel legion instead he gave me a wierd look.

Old 11 Jul 2006, 08:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you own the new IG Collectors Guide you'll also notice that unless a model is one of the new Cadians or Catachans (ie, no old metal models) or a Vostroyan, they're classic.
Page 18:
Classic Iron Guard
Classic Praetorian
Classic (Tallarn) Catpain Al Rahem (there's no new model for him - why's he Classic?)
Classic Tallarn
Classic (Valhallan) Captain Chenkov (same again - no new model)
Classic Valhallan
Classic Steel Legion - how the hell can they be classic?
Classic Cadian

Page 15:
Storm Troopers (ie the ones the Cadian don't use) are now classic. Unless you want Kasrkin, you're a Classic Guardsman.

Page 39:
Ghoster? Gaunts Ghosts are now Classic too.

Even Chimera Crew (41) and Tank Extras (70/71) are Classic now.

Disgusting.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 09:01   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

As I have always said, Plastic Cadians killed the Guard.

Games Workshop have screwed up royally with LoTR, and everyone else pays the price. It is no-longer financially sound, wise or viable to sell all these different versions of the IG, so they're just having the three; Catachans, Cadians and Vostroyans.

Personally, I doubt Vostroyans will be around for long either.

The Stormtrooper point annoys me greatly. They are meant to be seperate, yet now all you get are Kasrkin. What's next, Ratlings and Ogryns wearing Cadian uniforms?

One of the things that made the Guard great was the variation. Believe it or not, an army with one platoon of Mordian, one of Tallarn and one of Catachan does look good on the field! I love playing armies like that! It gives a sense that the battle is part of something larger, something other than a minor border-skirmish.

That age is dying. We may indeed be going back to the Rogue Trader era, where all Guardsmen in the 40K Universe had standard-issue fatiges and weapons. They looked like Cadians too...

Well, what can we do about it? Stop buying Cadians! If the Cadian range won't sell, GW won't push it! Buy Vostroyans, buy Elysians, buy Krieg, buy the fething Necromundans from eBay! Buy anything but Plastic Cadians, and maybe GW will cotton on.

The downside is you'd need to be able to orchestrate this boycott on a global scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 11 Jul 2006, 09:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Well, what can we do about it? Stop buying Cadians! If the Cadian range won't sell, GW won't push it! Buy Vostroyans, buy Elysians, buy Krieg, buy the fething Necromundans from eBay! Buy anything but Plastic Cadians, and maybe GW will cotton on.

The downside is you'd need to be able to orchestrate this boycott on a global scale.
A great idea on paper, but it'll never work.
I for one need to buy more :P
I do however intend on getting hold (at least) of some Steel Legion, some old Cadians (I did have some but they vanished) to mix in and possibly some Preatorians too.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 09:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

i might actually post this on the GW forum.

Old 11 Jul 2006, 09:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
i might actually post this on the GW forum.
I thought they closed it ...

But yes, do.
I'm sure you'll get support, at least from here if nowhere else.
Closed Thread