Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Heavy weapons
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jul 2006, 05:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Heavy weapons

Hey, what heavy weapons squads are your favourate?
Old 10 Jul 2006, 08:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to king.com
Default Re: Heavy weapons

Autocannons easy. City fight can be useful for mortars though.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

The Missile Launcher... so versitile and useful
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I play against alot of power armour and I still like heavy bolters and autocannons, fairly cheap and they can make those marines roll some armour saves
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Tactically its a toss up between autocannons and missile launchers.

Autocannons have more dakka, making them better at taking down tough and/or 4+ infantry, but they are still good tank hunters(especially against alot of light vehicles, like DE and orks).

Missile launchers have the extra strength that lets them bring down even the heaviest of tanks. And their great AP makes them good marine hunters.

So all in all i find autocannons more versatile, but the large nuber of MEQ players out their makes missile launchers a better option(marines, necron warriors, landraiders, monoliths)

Appearance wise i love those lying down heavy bolters like the steel legion or vostroyans. Just awesome looking. Followed closely behind is a keenling soldier with a missile launcher(but no bi-pod, looks wierd).

Fluffwise, id say the missile launcher is overall the best. It makes infantry squads very self-reliant, and it has the added benefit of being shoulder mounted. With autocannons you'd have to carry around a massive cannon, get to the tank, look for a good place to prop it up(or carry around a massive tri-pod) then set it up and fire and fire and fire and fire etc. With a missile launcher you just shoulder it, the guy behind you loads a missile, you pop up from under cover, take your shot, get back in cover and move to a new fireing position. Although for my guerra regiment their attritional trench fighting tactics means squads ahve to be cheap, and tanks aren't encountered that often. This makes heavy bolters alot better at defending trenches, or finding a crater in no-mans-land and providing cover as other soldiers advance.

Mortars also deserve mention, since they are often overlooked. While i dont take them in my infantry squads, they are my favorite weapon for having in a dedicate squad. They're still cheap enough to merit being in a whole squad, and fireing three mortars at once improves accuracy. It also makes sure you can hit something, which allows for that all important pinning test. While not as effective against marines its a god-send against 'nids and orks(and to a lesser extent DE and eldar guardians).

Old 10 Jul 2006, 22:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

i love Heavy bloters, bye bye orky.

Also Las Cannons, but they're not cost effective.

If gaurd could take Plasma Cannons that would be my entire heavy support section, with the exception of a couple of las cannons.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 00:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Mortars of all kinds have to be my favorite here. Invaluable in a cityfight and very often underestimated, these little babies can work miracles sometimes. It's also extremely fluffy, as my favorite Guard regiment (can't you tell) makes extensive use of them and their larger cousins. I only wish they brought the mole mortars and Thudd guns back...
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The only one i dont like is the Autocannon.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by legio mortis
I only wish they brought the mole mortars and Thudd guns back...
ive mounted 4 cadian mortars unto a dwarf cannon mount in an effort to re-make thudd guns. but i can get my hands on thus wierd templates they used to use.

Old 11 Jul 2006, 12:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

It depends on what I am using it for. I have a lascannon AT squad who's job it is to draw all possible fire away from my tanks. It works great, and they often shoot down something while dieing slowly.

I like autocannon, H bolter, and missile launcher, but I don't like them individually. I prefer to have a mix.

I use mortars as an attachment to my HQ. Cheap, but they worry people far more than they effect the game.

Wanax
Closed Thread