Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My regiment, 303rd Enfield rifle/grenadiers has finally been born!
Old 08 Jul 2006, 19:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default My regiment, 303rd Enfield rifle/grenadiers has finally been born!

Well, I finally got my ass to it!
After two years of hesitating, changing, hesitating again and so on, I have finally started down the road of making my own IG regiment!
I have a short holiday and my wife and kids went away on a holiday trip on thursday. Home alone, wife and kid free!
What do a warhammer man like me do then? Paint of course!
I decided that I finally should take a firm grip about all my project. I finished my first Wood elf regiment, my kroot squads, most of my XV8 suits and I finally decided that my two painted WWI inspired IG soldiers where to good to waste.

So I scraped together what IG I had left after last times trading with my son and started to create the first squad from the illustrious 303rd Enfield rifle/grenadiers.

My inspiration comes from the later part of WWI, especially from the british army. So I made some simple brim add-ons to my cadian helms. I do not need british helms, I wanted helms that reminded of the british ones.
The colours are in different shades of brown and brown yellow, based on the british uniforms and the general muddy trench feeling. I am not a praticulary skilled painter but I am satisified with the overall look of the squad.
I also painted an autocannon team and I decided that the unmodified Lt. Varras miniature from Battle for Macragge should be the platoon officer, working name is Lt. Cave. He has a bolt pistol, bionics, carapace and meltabombs (well, his gene seed canisters got to be something, so why not meltabombs?)

I scraped together, greenstuffed and glued minis so I know has the HQ command squad, the platoon command squad, one infantry squad, a heavy bolter gunner carrying his toy (I use the SM scout heavy bolters) and two Missile launcher gunners with their launchers.

I have three tanith ghosts and one cadian sniper so just two more cadian snipers and I have a sniper squad.

A box of 20 cadians and I have platoon, a anti-tank squad, and a squad of nitty-gritty grenadier for my Independent commisar to lead into hell and beyond!

And I will by a box of Vostryoans plus a pack of their special weapons to get a veteran squad. I think it proper that the regiments veterans gets the honour of carrying bearskin caps! Some 19th century reminiscense left in the trenches seems cool. And we are in 41th millenium after all!
Alright, I admit, I just love those vostroyan minis, especially that heavy bolter team.

My single Sentinel is also being painted to provide mobile fire support.

Well, in short, the Enfields are used to fight in trenches, and are also quite at home in the cities. Enfields tradition press hard on the skill of marksmanship, as did the british army, especially in the beginning of the war. They are a proud lot who hold their officers in high esteem and obeys them readily.

Doctrines: Special weapon teams (snipers and demo charges are a must in the trenches)
Sharpshooters
Independent commisars - ( I want my Gaunt model to have a go on some stupid glory rush)
Grenadiers - (The thoughest lads, for my Commisar to command and lead into the jaws of death)
Iron discipline

Cities of death stratagems:
1. Barricades (they know how to dig in quickly)
2. Razor wire (can you get more trenchy?)
3. Ammo dump (Well, firepower wins battles. It is as simple as that)

What do you think of my boys in brown?

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Ra´Meses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2006, 20:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin
Default Re: My regiment, 303rd Enfield rifle/grenadiers has finally been born!

a. can you hgave single sentenil in a squad?

b. pic's please
Old 08 Jul 2006, 23:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Pics will come when I can get them done...
And yes, you can have a single sentinel... but it will get company in due time...

Old 10 Jul 2006, 22:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra´Meses

I have three tanith ghosts and one cadian sniper so just two more cadian snipers and I have a sniper squad.

What do you think of my boys in brown?
how are you going to modify those modles so they fit into your army?
Old 11 Jul 2006, 06:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

they sound really cool, can you post some pics?
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
irishoneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2006, 21:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, they do not really need a lot of modifying. Snipers are usually a bit different than the rest of the lads. The Taniths match the cadian snipers rather well with their camo-cloaks, so they tie together nicely. And snipers usually works in pairs of sniper and spotter, so the Ghost represent the spotters.

As for tying with the rest of the army, I will not do that much, but I think I will try and give some sleeves to the ghosts by using a thin layer of greenstuff on their arms.

Old 11 Jul 2006, 22:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ahh, I see, with your six man special weapons team your gonnna take three snipers, and three ghosts, i like your logic there

Whats happening in the way of tanks?
Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I am not sure yet. I will have some sentinels, since they make some sense in a cratered and trench riddled no-mans-land, being walkers.
But there should of course be a tank or two. Has not desided yet-

It will most likely not be a conversion but a legal 40K tank. If I can, a Russ or a Russ demolisher seems good, and then a Basilisk for Fire support. The basilisk also fits the theme, since artillery was very important in WWI.

Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I was just thinking that actualy ( great minds obviously think alike ^-^)

It really does fit in with the theme, i was wondering what heavy weapons will you be using? mortars would fit in with the trenchy feel..
Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, mortars has to get in there somehow. A squad of mortars attached to the HQ feels just right. And many grenade launchers. Not the best special weapon but a trenchy one....

I am a bit splitt between missile launchers or lascannons. I have to models with missile launchers that just need loaders, but lascannons feel more part of the theme.