Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

what is a good Mix between Tanks and Infantry?
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jul 2006, 20:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default what is a good Mix between Tanks and Infantry?

I have been playing 40k off and on for years, I just started an IG army and have played about five games with them.

I always wanted more infantry heavy army, but my infantry never seems to shoot their lasguns but maybe once a game before getting blown away.

This has made me drop my standard army from three platoons of three squads, down to two platoons of three squads and add a tank and some sent's

I also aways have two Leman Russ's

What kind of mix do you guys have in your Standard army?

also I need some good uses for guard infantry besides just another heavy weapon
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
Old 06 Jul 2006, 21:49   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: what is a good Mix between Tanks and Infantry?

what gets me about standard imperial gaurd is that everyone else's basic weapon just chews threw them, even as meat shields they don't really add up to much.

Though, they are pretty useful in a very slow overwhelimg of objective points, like being able to contest every corner just in sheer number.
Old 06 Jul 2006, 21:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

what doctrines do you use?
Old 06 Jul 2006, 21:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

As far as Doctrines I use

Iron Discipline, Close Order Drill
and I add Conscript Platoons and Storm Troopers
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
Old 06 Jul 2006, 22:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

conscripts is probably why your normal gaurd are so innefective mate, i would use mechanised, or grenadiers
Old 06 Jul 2006, 22:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishoneall
i usually take a russ every 750-1000 points. I also try and have atleast one armoured fist or hellhound around so ive got a quick unit i can speed around.

Quote:
well, armoured fists are good for holding quarters and objectives. But other than assaulting, guardsmen dont do much other than prevent their heavy weapon from dying.

Old 06 Jul 2006, 22:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin
conscripts is probably why your normal gaurd are so innefective mate, i would use mechanised, or grenadiers
I love conscripts. Send them with a commissar babysitter, there is a large mass of troops that can protect your firebase by there just being so many. I always take them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
Quote:
i usually take a russ every 750-1000 points. I also try and have atleast one armoured fist or hellhound around so ive got a quick unit i can speed around.

Quote:
well, armoured fists are good for holding quarters and objectives. But other than assaulting, guardsmen dont do much other than prevent their heavy weapon from dying.
Darn. I like to take a Russ every 500pts. Hope that isn't too cheesy.

It is possible to make assault-weapon footslogging squads, but keep them cheap and send them in in waves with fire support, because they will mostly die.

An armoured fist is one of the best ways to claim objectives, but it really is all those heavy weapons that do the hard work.

Any single guard infantry unit will get chewed up. The trick is to make sure all those squads work together.

A couple tricks I like:
1) sentinels can be cheap heavy weapons that are mobile. Leave your squads stationary so they can keep firing, and use the sentinels to create a cross-fire. They are fragile, but can create more firing opportunities.

2) rough riders can spoil the day of any hard assault unit wanting to clean up your firebase. I never used to like them, but I used to think of them as an attacking unit, which they are too fragile to do. As a denfensive counter-assault with hunting lances, they are lethal.

3) This is a little controversial, but try a drop troop army if deep strike is allowed. With scatter, this can be hit-or-miss, but you can feild so many assault weapons that you can win in the first turn. Use sentinels with improved comms to get more troops sooner.

If I field less than 100 models at 1500 points I know I'm going to have a tough time winning with guard, so even with those lovely Russes, infantry is what makes guard so great. Well, and Russes.
Old 08 Jul 2006, 23:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
i usually take a russ every 750-1000 points.
Darn. I like to take a Russ every 500pts. Hope that isn't too cheesy.
What does that make me? In my 1500 point army i have 5 tanks. A Demolisher a Battle Tank a Basilisk and 2 Hellhounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird III
If I field less than 100 models at 1500 points I know I'm going to have a tough time winning with guard
My army fields much less than 100 men at 1500 points and it does very well.
Old 09 Jul 2006, 11:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnex
What does that make me? In my 1500 point army i have 5 tanks. A Demolisher a Battle Tank a Basilisk and 2 Hellhounds.
i dont think we are counting hellhounds as tanks. i think he meant russes and their varaints. but still, 2 russes a bassie and two hellhounds is quite alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnex
My army fields much less than 100 men at 1500 points and it does very well.
you dont have to have enourmous amounts of men to field a good army is you take enough tanks. But for a good, 1500 SIGAFH you'll need atleast 2 full platoons if you want to get that wall-of-bayonets-and-muzzels look.

Closed Thread