Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IG darkeldar style
Closed Thread
Old 09 Dec 2004, 17:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion
Default IG darkeldar style

I was thinking of Ig running arround like darkeldar. They combine a few more power weps per squad.
have acess to some very good specialized assault troops.

Can b upgraded with ws4 and 2 attacks even 4+ armor for a price.
Toss em all in chims with a a russ or 2 a griffon and a couble hellhounds rushing with the chims.
Multiple threat system kill the hound b4 it crisps me the ogrens b4 they hit combat. or the hq.

They cant assualt directly from the vehicle but a chimera is roughly the side to shield a squad behind it.
Protecting the squad from mass infantry fire.

i dont rember the side vaule of the chim but it should b enough to ditur most enemy fire. Especially with battle cannons taking down the enemy's heavy support.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 09 Dec 2004, 19:31   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: IG darkeldar style

There's no way that Guard can work like Dark Eldar, especially in the 4th Edition rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 09 Dec 2004, 19:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to erebus Send a message via MSN to erebus Send a message via Yahoo to erebus

plus theres something wrong with rhino(or even Chimera) rush gaurd ... what is it now... oh yeah they can't fight for s**t even with ws4, i mean today it took me two whole turns of close combat to take out an eldar avatar.....
Old 10 Dec 2004, 20:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion

Well lets say 20 gaurd vs 10 marines. ws4 gaurd with 2 attacks 1/2 hit 1/3 wound thats what 3 wounds sm will save against anyways.

They are just thier for the multiple threat system while your tanks pound em down ne ways.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 10 Dec 2004, 20:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to SugarBlair

Now don't get me wrong the IG is a great army but the one thing there missing for this tactic to work is fleet of Foot and Initiative 5. I don't think a rush army will work the same as it dose for the DE. Remember the hole theory of the Dark Eldar is due onto them before done to you.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 23:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBlair
Now don't get me wrong the IG is a great army but the one thing there missing for this tactic to work is fleet of Foot and Initiative 5. I don't think a rush army will work the same as it dose for the DE. Remember the hole theory of the Dark Eldar is due onto them before done to you.

Now with that said, I think that a close combat/ assault army CAN work for the Imperial Guard, just not in the same way as it does for the Eldar. (Side armor on the Chimaera is a 10, by the way)

Your assault Guard won't be as fast as most other assault-oriented armies, transports aside. What I mean by this is that you shouldn't leap headlong towards the opposing army's throat; instead, give your tanks and gun pieces time to weaken a part of the line you want to attack, and then perform a version of what the Werhmacht called the "schewerpunkt": basically, an armored infantry spearhead cutting through the opposing lines, or simply a breakthrough.

The usual premise for an assault team is to get there intact enough to fight and win; however, this doesn't always mean what's (*left* of the assault force is in any shape to do anything else, even hold onto the objective! For that, you have to utilize your support elements (tanks, Ogryns, Rough Riders, Sentinels, et al.)

Team Sentinels (with the chainsaw additional attack option) with a tank or Hellhound to soften the enemy battle line. Use the Chimaera's mobility to threaten *everything* at once, and force your opponent to try and defend everything.... Because if he tries that, he'll end up defending nothing at all. Follow up with the strike force and transport's fire, and you'll be able to slap in a strong close assault in no time at all!

With the Guard, patience is everything. Don't attack too soon; give your guns time to do their work!

Old 11 Dec 2004, 02:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

guard would fight nothing like DE for the simple fact DE have warps, are fast and are decent in CC

also guards best tactic is if you dont know what to do- Camp its as simple as that (unless youve got catchan where youve hgot all these different rules and abilities)
Old 11 Dec 2004, 02:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd recommend the mobile game anyday, even for the artillery-heavy Guard. It's more interesting to play with if you move about SOMETHING to take objectives and make your opponent react to you.

Besides the moaning, wailing, and gnashing of teeth when the triple Basilisk barrage evaporates a tenth of his army... ;D
Old 11 Dec 2004, 10:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

it really all depends on how you feel like playing

i play with lots of scenery and usually let the enemy have 50%-double the pts i have, but they arnt allowed to have spec characters but i am and that suits my friends (evemn thoguh i still beat em)

so if you want IG being played like DE go right ahead and dont let anybody stop you, simple
Old 11 Dec 2004, 17:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to erebus Send a message via MSN to erebus Send a message via Yahoo to erebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBlair
thats two things.
Closed Thread