Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Armoured company
Old 03 Jul 2006, 10:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian
Default Armoured company

I would like to start an Armoured company army but just How cheesy is an Armoured company force?

I'd also like some advice into wether or not I should use the VDR Rules to bulid a Comand Russ of my own design and could anyone tell me the best tactics to use when playing with an Armoured company.

(& don't just tell me shoot and Crush)

KQD

-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
wyrd_ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2006, 11:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Armoured company

ive never considered armour companies cheesy, sicne you can lose a fifth of your VP in a single shot. as to strategies you can check the tactica imperium(stickies above)

i wouldn't use VDRs, too expensive. just go for an exterminator as your commander.

Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2006, 11:30   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I wouldn't call it cheezy... playing an all-tank army is actually quite hard, so long as you're not just playing the "put your models on the table and roll dice at each other" scenario that GW stores run.

Allow me to give you my basic tips:

1) Choose your tanks with care. Your Command Tank is going to be pricey indeed, but it also has Bs 4. Make use of that. Take an Exterminator. This will not only allow you to hurl mobile death, but it keeps your commander from being too much of a gun-magnet.

2) Vanquishers, if taken at all, should be Tank Aces. Again, the Bs 4 is needed. The reason you never put your HQ in a Vanquisher is it's too juicey a target. That many points on want tank just begs for death.

3) Always take Sponsons. Always. Las/Bolter everything. That way, even if they main gun is lost, your tanks can still take on anything. Bolter/Bolter tanks can't hunt tough stuff or enemy armour, Bolter-only tanks are even worse vs hoardes, and Las-only tanks can't touch infantry. Remember, you're going to have a dozen or so models, so each one must be as efficient as possible.

4) Don't take junk. No Doctrines, no silly upgrades, just keep it simple. Extra Armour may be wise, as that way anything that's shaken can simply roll forwards and shield other tanks, or claim objectives. Don't spend huge amounts on things like Pintle-Mounts, Track Guards, HKs or Doctrines... you need as many tanks as you can field, and they have to be efficient!

5) Tactics are simple; Hammer and Anvil.

Work your tanks in pairs. One moves, one fires the main gun. Then switch. Tanks like the Exterminator can act as cavalry support, constantly moving and firing with everything it's got. If it's Bolter/Bolter, then it excels at this, though a Las/Bolter Exterminator can still do it pretty well. These are the tanks that will most likely be claiming objectives for you.

Demolishers, where taken, should act as bunker-points. Get them into a position with a good field of fire, preverably covering an objective, and blast the hell out of everything. Las/Plas is your armament of choice here.

If you have Infantry, you're playing the wrong army list. However, should a squad or too have gotten lost, use them to cover your flanks. Keep your tanks softer sides clear of assault, and engage units that your Russes are struggling to dig out. Of course, they also work very well at objective-holding, particularly if you have to grab it out of Difficult Terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2006, 18:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to VF-7

[possessed!, this is not an advice, so skip it]

Las-only tanks?

If that's the sneak peak of the AC guide you are doing, i think it needs little polishing :, or am i too stoopid to get that meaning..... wait, las only refers to the fact that it dosn't take sponsons?
He, it looks that my brain is the one who nees polishing :P.

Now, the hammer and anvil sounds good, I normaly run the frirst turn and miss with the ugly scattering ordance, then i could be in defensive weapons range, and shot the hell out of my oponent, [& remain stationary] but it sounds worthy of try.

Lost are only those who abandon themselves.
VF-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2006, 19:50   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Huevon
[possessed!, this is not an advice, so skip it]

Las-only tanks?

If that's the sneak peak of the AC guide you are doing, i think it needs little polishing :, or am i too stoopid to get that meaning..... wait, las only refers to the fact that it dosn't take sponsons?
He, it looks that my brain is the one who nees polishing :P.
Indeed it does mate.

Las-Only tanks are ones with a Lascannon Hull mount, no Sponson.
Bolter-Only are likewise, only using a single Heavy Bolter.
Las/Bolter is Lascannon on the Hull, Heavy Bolter Sponsons. This is the best kit-out for most Russ variants, the Demolisher and Exterminator being the exceptions.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 04 Jul 2006, 15:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Question about the Conqueror. It says it can fire it's main gun in the same manner as Defensive weaponry Is this an exception to the rules or are S7 weapons considered Defensive?

I don't have my rule book & this answer will affect my list.

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Old 04 Jul 2006, 15:51   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Conqueror Cannon is not Ordnance. As such, you can fire it on the move, along with any Defensive Weapons. It is not, however, a Defensive Weapon itself.

Quote:
Old 04 Jul 2006, 16:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Cheers I'll post my list tomorrow.
Old 04 Jul 2006, 19:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to VF-7

The conqueror is a nice front-lines tank.
Still, The conqueror turret offers you a blast template with the str/ap of an autocannon... however, this comes to a dis-advantage when you face an enemy that you have played at least twice, or a vet player who knows what is what in your army.

During deployment,* when using conquerors (and ac in general) Your oponent will most likely spread out, leaving your "Adcantage of blast template" useless, and becuse that the Conqueror cost more than the Exterminator, I would recomend against-it.

Why?

Against an oponent who spreads out you have (firstly) odds of 50% to hit, if you hit, you kill a single model, and that hit costs as much as an ordance hit, sure it has HB all arround, but the maingun is still not much of an use

While looking at the exterminator, you have 2 twinlinked shots, wich most of the time you will hit, You have 50% chance of hitting, if you add the twin-linking, then you'll have a +25% chance of hitting ( this is cuz that half you miss, you'll miss again half the time of those) so that's 75% of hitting, for EACH shot, leaving the conqueror out-matched in shots output and price output against the Exterminator

Of course, if your oponent likes to sit tight, this advantage will die quickly, that's just my experience.
Lost are only those who abandon themselves.
VF-7 is offline   Reply With Quote