Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Coming back to the Guard
Closed Thread
Old 29 Jun 2006, 18:57   #1 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Default Coming back to the Guard

Hello

I'm considering about going back to the good old guard. They were my first ever army and at the beginners academy i made a name for myself i really enjoyed it, but things got worse. At my GW store we were only aloud to play 500pts because the store is so small and it gets very busy, i was a bit pissed off at that because i was getting my ass whooped all of the time by armies that were bloody cheese factories and people laughed and insulted me saying Guard were crap and i was seen as an easy victory.

And as you can imagine i was very upset, so i collected Chaos and destroyed all of them! I was thinking of going back to Guard but at my local GW i am still faced up against really cheesy armies and the fact that yeah you can't win every battle but when i had my guard i lost every battle i did for about 2 years. Anyway I'm asking for help from all of you veteran guardsmen. I'll give you a rough idea of what I'm up against:

1 Khorne player with a Godprince, 2-3 squads of berzerkers, las-dread and a lieutenant (he may have more)
1 Undivided player with Godprince 2-3 squads of marines, defiler and a lieutenant
1 Mass infantry guard with 6 squads with random heavy weapons and a super H.Q with a commissar with a powerfist and a sanctioned psycho with a force weapon
1 Tau player with 24 firewarriors alot of battlesuits, commander and 3 broadsides
1 Necron player who has alot of pariahs and few warriors

Thanks.

Old 09 Jul 2006, 23:41   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Coming back to the Guard

Since you already have chaos ..go with a traitor guard..they play tougher and when you get the chance you can combine them with your chaos marines for larger battles.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 00:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Leman Russ, HBolters, Missile launchers, and Grenadier Stormtroopers as troops. Fluffy and dangerous. ^.^
Old 10 Jul 2006, 02:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

What are you getting off on? No guardsmen has WS 5, Grenadiers can have 1 PW max per squad, and I believe they have carapace armor already. Get a codex.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 03:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I find it really hard to be competitive with guard when playing 500pts. There just are not enough men and guns.

Remember that gaurd can be cheesed out just as bad as anything, we just usually do it with tanks (once again, no so easy at 500pts).

Drop troops can be ok at 500pts, but drop troops are always really win or really lose propositions.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 08:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
What are you getting off on? No guardsmen has WS 5, Grenadiers can have 1 PW max per squad, and I believe they have carapace armor already. Get a codex.
Not only that but Storm Troopers dont count as Guard Infantry.

Oh and you can get some to WS 5 by adding it a command squad with a Senior Officer.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 12:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Platoon command can only be lead by a JO
Old 10 Jul 2006, 15:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, I'm going to start by saying the armies you listed look like they might go over points. I'd have everyone double check their lists because I'm having trouble figuring out how they fit everything they did in.

Secondly, if you only play 500 point games, I'd suggest you try to talk everyone into playing with the Combat patrol rules, but just up the point limit to 500. This would cut down on the cheese greatly and make the games more fair the guard. Now granted, most of the people you play with will probably end up losing their favorite unit...but their favorate unit is probably the cheesiest unit on their list anyway. (seriously, 3 broadsides in a 500 point game?!)

When neither of the first two suggestions don't pan out, (and to be honest, I don't really expect them to help any), it's time to make your list. Now I'm afraid I don't play Guard, but I do have the Codex and hopefully some good advice to go along with it.

First off, we have your three junior officer squads, one as your HQ selection, and the other two to lead your platoons. I'd suggest keeping them cheap and mobile. Keep the upgrades light, and don't get any advisers. The only exception to this I have is one sanctioned psyker with his forceweapon and an Honorifica Imperialis Mundanus, which is the perfect counter assault weapon against those two Chaos princes and really anything else nasty with multiple wounds that stumbles into melee with you.

Next is the infantry platoons, and this is where I suggest you spend the rest of your points. As all you're going up against is infantry, I'd suggest you just stick with the heavy bolter as your heavy weapon choice, as the high rate of fire will be a big help. I'd also suggest that you grab plasmaguns for each squad. Now I know most people shy away from plasma because of Gets Hot, but casualties rates are actually pretty low until they get into rapid fire range, which is when your men are going to start dying in droves anyway. The high strength low AP of plasma weaponry rounds out your list by helping you cause casualties right where and when you need it the most.

Alternatively, you could take an armored fist or conscript squad fill your second troop requirement, but personally I perfer the Infantry Squads.

Now you'll note I didn't suggest any vehicles, not even the ever dangerous Leman Russ, and the reason is that I don't think it'd last that long in the battlefield. I'm guessing a lot of people are packing anti tank weaponry to use against those two Daemon princes, and that spells bad news even if you have armor as sturdy as a Russ. Basically I'm betting that if you used it, it wouldn't make it past round 2, and probably wouldn't even get a chance to shoot.

I hope this works out for you, and good luck out there.
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Closed Thread