Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Configuring IG for cityfighting?
Closed Thread
Old 26 Jun 2006, 09:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Configuring IG for cityfighting?

AS the new cities of death is out, i thought i might ask what people are doing to setup their IG for this kind of setting- ie composition, wargear, tactics etc. My vostroyans are primarily being setup for cityfighting duties, and as such most squads have been given flamers, mortars and heavy bolters. I've purchased a few sentinels to be armed with autocannons or lascannons and im going to run with 1 LR and 2 HHs ( for burning goodliness!)

Im considering the Carapace Armour doctrine, but im yet to see if its worth its points when my guys will spend hte majority of their time in 4+ save cover anyways- i cant see them abandoning their positions unless they are moving into more cover- and we'll see how the other doctrines fare..

Any ideas or thoughts?

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
Old 26 Jun 2006, 09:30   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Configuring IG for cityfighting?

My army doesn't change at all.

I have always taken a good mix of units. In the old rules, I used to split my squads in two (there was a rule letting you split a 10-man Guard squad into two 5-man squads), and let the special weapon unit hammer up close whilst their heavy-weapon counterpart gave supporting fire.

Flamers are an obvious choice of weapon, so a Hellhound is a must. The Griffon truly excels at Cityfight. The Basilisk, given the confined and rather small board (4' x 4&#39 is a waste of time.

My force is built for anything. Only my tactics change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 26 Jun 2006, 10:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

my 633rd regimnet has been a city fight force for years before the whole medusa thing, so i dont have to change them at all. the amry composition, fluff, paintscheme and doctrines are all built around cityfighting.

Old 26 Jun 2006, 11:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The two doctrines that really stand out to me, in a cityfight game, are Cameoline, and Light Infantry.

Cameoline means your guys are going to get 3+ cover saves, while Light Infantry allows them to move through the cities with much greater ability.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 11:44   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
while Light Infantry allows them to move through the cities with much greater ability.
Except you have to use a Strategy to get that benefit... so whilst you've moved closer, all my units now either re-roll to Hit, re-roll To Wound, get +1 Str for their Template weapons, get Feel No Pain, or any number of benefits which you have given up for something that is ultimately less useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 26 Jun 2006, 13:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Except you have to use a Strategy to get that benefit... so whilst you've moved closer, all my units now either re-roll to Hit, re-roll To Wound, get +1 Str for their Template weapons, get Feel No Pain, or any number of benefits which you have given up for something that is ultimately less useful.
really? wow, i guess ill have to re-think my army list since all my squads have light infantry and cameleoline(plus iron discipline, grenadiers and conscripts)

Old 26 Jun 2006, 13:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Quote:
while Light Infantry allows them to move through the cities with much greater ability.
That's to use their infiltrate ability - I was refering more to the Light Infantry ability to roll an extra die when moving through terrain.

Although, an interesting side note here is that both an all-infiltrating Light Infantry force, or a All-drop-troop force actually become more viable under the cityfight rules, as you can take the appropriate strategem and be sure that your trick will work, rather than hoping the mission allows it.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 16:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

The only real charge for me is to change from a Grenade Launcher to a Flamer in my Armoured Fist squad.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 16:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

Quote:
The two doctrines that really stand out to me, in a cityfight game, are Cameoline, and Light Infantry.

Cameoline means your guys are going to get 3+ cover saves, while Light Infantry allows them to move through the cities with much greater ability.
cameoline doesn't really fit in with city fight though
Old 26 Jun 2006, 16:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin
cameoline doesn't really fit in with city fight though
are you kidding me? city fight is all about stealthy ambushes and sitting in cover. the only place where cameleoline could possibly be more usefull is in a Codex: Catachan mission

Closed Thread