Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Death from the skies - Your preferences?
Closed Thread
Old 24 Jun 2006, 21:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Death from the skies - Your preferences?

Hiya, I use a Vulture in support of my Space Marine army but I'm inexperienced with it. I think it's got fantastic potential but I just don't seem to be able to put it to effective use.

It is currently armed with Heavy Smart Bombs and twin linked Lascannons. For those of you with some experience bringing in CAS in the form of a Vulture, what do you find is the best combination of weapons? How do you employ them? And what is your target priority?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 22:24   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Death from the skies - Your preferences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Hiya, I use a Vulture in support of my Space Marine army but I'm inexperienced with it. I think it's got fantastic potential but I just don't seem to be able to put it to effective use.
Unless you bring a Damocles, you're cheating. Marines cannot take Vultures or Valkyries. Indeed, they cannot take any Naval flyer without a Damocles; Marines work autonimously from the Navy.

Quote:
It is currently armed with Heavy Smart Bombs and twin linked Lascannons. For those of you with some experience bringing in CAS in the form of a Vulture, what do you find is the best combination of weapons? How do you employ them? And what is your target priority?
Personally, I kit mine out like an Apache; nose-mounted Heavvy Bolter, Multiple Rocket Pod, and 2x 6-rack of Hellstrikes. That monster's now packing enough heat to level an armoured column, and can shred most infantry squads with ease.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 24 Jun 2006, 22:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Unless you bring a Damocles, you're cheating. Marines cannot take Vultures or Valkyries. Indeed, they cannot take any Naval flyer without a Damocles; Marines work autonimously from the Navy.
Sure, sure...sorry, I thought that was a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Personally, I kit mine out like an Apache; nose-mounted Heavvy Bolter, Multiple Rocket Pod, and 2x 6-rack of Hellstrikes. That monster's now packing enough heat to level an armoured column, and can shred most infantry squads with ease.
Are we talking about the same aircraft here? I've only got a Vulture, so if you could offer any suggestions regarding that, I'd be grateful.

If you are talking about the Vulture then I think perhaps you're mixing the rules up with something else? A Vulture has to take a Heavy Bolter; it's built into the nose. It can take Rocket pods but only two HellStrike missiles (not twelve). Did you perhaps mean 2 X 3-rack of Hunter-Killers?

I like to use the 'Death from the skies' rules from the Taros campaign. Assuming you use those rules yourself, do you find Heavy Bombs effective against vehicles or do they scatter too much? Upgrading to 'Smart' bombs might fix that problem, but is it worth it?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 22:47   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Meh, Hellstrikes and Hunter-Killers have the same rules... Hellstrike is simply a far cooler name.

And yes, I meant the 2x3 rack.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 24 Jun 2006, 22:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Right. So do you loose the whole lot in a oner or do you fire them in salvos? If so, how many at a time?

Also, do you target infantry units first, or go straight for the armour?

[hr]

P.S. - Check out the 'Death from the skies' rules from the Taros campaign...Hellstrikes have some improved stats. You might like them.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 23:10   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I normally do a double-tap against rear-armour. If I'm going at AV 14, I'll bang off all six and kiss the sucker goodbye.

Quote:
Old 24 Jun 2006, 23:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ahh, good call...I'm overlooking the obvious advantage of being able to attack from any direction...I could use this to force my opponent to turn his rear armour facing towards my ground based tank killers. If he turns on my Vulture I need not fire any Hunter-Killers at all!

What enemy weapons do I want to look out for when bringing in my Vulture? What's the big flyer-killer out there? Heavy Bolters? Autocannons?
Old 24 Jun 2006, 23:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i like to take them with autocannons. then i get behind the enemy and try to pop the rear armour. and if they didn't bring any i combine the cannons with the heavy bolter to provide anti-infantry dakka.

flier killers are autocannons. they provide good dakka meaning a higher chance of getting that precious 6, but also have high enough strength to do something once you do get the 6.

Old 25 Jun 2006, 00:00   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Definately Autocannon. Heavy Bolters lack the strength, and ML / Lascannon lack the rate of fire. Autos are perfect.

Quote:
Old 25 Jun 2006, 00:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Right...damn! My brother brings a lot of those things...they play merry hell with my Rhinos. It'll make it difficult to pop out behind him, especially with that long range. I'll need to be at least 32" from his autocannons (as the crow flies) and after carrying out a quick mathmatical evaluation, even 6 missiles into the front armour of a Russ only gives me a 50% chance of scoring a single glancing hit! I can't land any penetrating hits at all against that armour. :-\

It'll be damned risky coming it behind him. With, say, three autocannons pointed at your inbound Vulture, would you risk it to kill a Leman Russ (or a Demolisher)? Or am I better off arming to pound infantry units? What'd be my best bet for that? Autocannons and Napalm bombs or a full complement of four rocket pods?
Closed Thread