Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

General Lord Draken Harrkus, Scourge of Hydras
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jun 2006, 19:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default General Lord Draken Harrkus, Scourge of Hydras

General Lord Draken Harrkus, Scourge of Hydras is a 47 year old war hero. He and his platoon fought off a massive Kroot attack during the Battle of Hydras Ridge, abd during the attack, Harrkus uncovered a hidden power...he was a pskyer!

Ws Bs S T W A I Ld Sv
4 4 3 3 4 3 4 10 4+/4+*
Bolt Pistol, Master Crafted Force Weapon, Krak and Frag Genades.

Harrkus Knows two powers.
He will always use Arc Lightning, but it is assault, not heavy, and rolls a d6 for the other. The d6 may be re-rolled once.

Master Stratigest: See Uskar Kreed.

Threat to himself, and his unit: An Inquisitor must be inculded in his command squad, as must a Commisar.

Back off: If Harrkus suffers a Perils of the Warp attack, rather than the Commisar killing him out right, the commisar and Harrkus be come locked in CC. the unit counts as fearless when these two are in cc, and if charged, the rest of the squad will fight the enemy, but not the Commisar or Harrkus. if Harrkus wins the combat, if the inquisitor is still alive, tthey must fight as per the commisar and Harrkus.

I need a point cost for this man, and anay rules revisions. Thanks,
Mothman
Old 22 Jun 2006, 20:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard
Default Re: General Lord Draken Harrkus, Scourge of Hydras

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Dakari
He sounds interesting, the only thing I'm not to sure on is the fluff, the Inquisition would definetly take him to the Black Ships. But hey, it's only fluff.
Well, if he only recently and suddenly showed his talents might not have been able to respond yet... Also, even for an Inquisitor it is hard to arrest a Lord General, especially if he's a true hero and of high noble birth. But the Inquisitor and Commissar will be watching him like hawks...

I like him, having a psyker for a general is something you don't see very often! Very original.

I'd give him 3 wounds, 3 attacks and initiative 4, though, to prevent him from becoming too powerful. I'd say he's somewhere in the same point range as Yarrick...
Old 22 Jun 2006, 21:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Alright, re-done
I say 200 pts, as he is very powerful, but those 200 inculed the basic inquisitor who can be upgraded, and the basic commisar.

And any army led by him has prefered enemy kroot.
Old 23 Jun 2006, 10:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman
Alright, re-done
I say 200 pts, as he is very powerful, but those 200 inculed the basic inquisitor who can be upgraded, and the basic commisar.
I'd say that's about fair. You need to test play at least half a dozen games with him to really know if that's a fair price, though.
Old 23 Jun 2006, 10:57   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Sorry, but I can't see this happening.

Psykers are distrusted. Indeed, anyone found with psychic ability is liable to receive summary execution from the nearest Commissar.

Psykers just don't happen in the Guard. Those that do exist have been specially "prepared" by the Inquisition, and are certified as safe... or as safe as they can be. Even then, they are lonely and shunned individuals.

Your commander would be dead before he had time to say "but-".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 23 Jun 2006, 17:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Aren't psykers just random mutations?
And the =][= has tried to kill him, but they were killed first. His soldiers are very loyal to him, almost as much as to the Emperor. He in an insperational person, and the =][= has yet to be able to capture him.

And I know you hate all my fluff Wargamer.
Old 23 Jun 2006, 18:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Imagine if Slaydo or Macaroth had suddenly turned out to be a psyker... do you think the Inquisition would've been able to take him out just like that and plunge the crusade into disarray? Hell no! Imperial politics are way too complicated for that. They'd have removed him at the first possible opportunity, but even the Inquisition doesn't have enough power to remove the most powerful men just like that.

The Eisenhorn and Ravenor books show, in my opinion, quite accurately how far the Inquisition can go. In theory they have absolute authority over anyone save the Emperor himself, but in practise they are subject to politics like anyone else. Many criminal activities are overlooked in favour of the 'Greater Good of the Imperium' Unlicensed psykers are tolerated when its not worth the cost of removing them - psykers 'secretly' employed by high nobles or even govenors, for example.

And Eisenhorn fights near the EoT… Harrkus fights on the Eastern Fringe. In large parts of the Fringe the Imperium barely has any authority, let alone the authority and influence to remove a high noble who’s a sub-sector wide hero.
Old 23 Jun 2006, 22:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Guys, dont kid your selves. If the inquisition wanted him dead he be so. Do you really think his men, even a whole regiment, could stand up to the ordo hereticus? and even if they could, a vindicare would remove him of his cranial integrity in short order.

Old 23 Jun 2006, 23:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
Guys, dont kid your selves. If the inquisition wanted him dead he be so. Do you really think his men, even a whole regiment, could stand up to the ordo hereticus? and even if they could, a vindicare would remove him of his cranial integrity in short order.
It's not a question of whether they could get the forces needed to execute or assassinate him, it's a question of whether they're prepared to face the consequences of such an action. Because of its size and organisation, Imperial politics are very complicated with a lot of big players that cannot be easily removed.. If the Inquisition kills this general, then - unless they can come up with some very good propaganda - you can bet on it that it will be an absolute outrage on his homeworld and throughout the sub-sector. Any goodwill the Inquisition had with the noble houses will be lost and it will make it impossible to get any kind of cooperation or help from anyone - people will obstruct other investigations by the organisation that killed their hero to the best of their abilities.

Simply put, if the Inquisition just executes Harrkus, they're shooting themselves in the foot. In fact, they're probably blowing their leg off with a 12-gauge shotgun. The Inquisition needs to work with the rest of the Imperium, not against it if it is to succeed in its duties..
Old 24 Jun 2006, 08:35   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Oh come on, his regiment killed the Inquisitors hunting him? They'd just get the Sisters of Battle, or the Astartes after them! One company of Astartes would slaughter that regiment in an eyeblink! Hell, they could just bomb them from orbit!

You're giving your guy too much credit. He's a Psyker. He's dead. End of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread