Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IG against IG
Closed Thread
Old 20 Jun 2006, 22:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default IG against IG

I have decided to make a 'traitor legion' and as it happens i will be getting the chance to play another IG army.

I am not sure how to go about fighting it. How does an IG army defeat another IG army? The main problem i have is my vehicles...my opponent (i can only guess) will be sitting back and shooting me. Just seems like that type of player.

Do I:

Have a shoot out with him or

Take the vehicles and troops andtake the fight to him?

I only ask as I am not strategical or tactical in mind. I just like to kill everything i come up against. About time I learnt I think.

thanks for all your help in advance

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from you kids!
Old 20 Jun 2006, 22:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin
Default Re: IG against IG

for a start you should get the "blood pact cult" they unlike other chaos cultist hordes, are not hordes as such, they trained to match gaurd in every way, so i would suggest getting what ever you like from the gaurd codex tank wise, i find that having lots of heavy weapons helps with gaurd on gaurd.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 22:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, if you take tanks, they'll probably get pounded. Becuase IG are good at that.

Try sticking in cover and shooting it out with him/her.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 23:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

You can either bring a lot of tanks, or none at all. Sure, theres a middleground, but having faced IG with mine before, its usaully all or nothing.

Bring meltas, krak grenades, and lascannons, as well as heavy bolters.

Remember, in this setting, a lasgun wounds on a 4+ [gasp!], so you should use your lasguns as you would bolters: a mean weapon with strength to spare.

A very VERY assaulty HQ would go well... I always wanted to duke out HSO against HSO...

Good luck!
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 21 Jun 2006, 00:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh, you could deep strike a squad of stormtroopers behind their heavy weapons, and rapid fire their hellguns at his heavy weapons.

(Sinc eyou count as moving when you deepstrike, you can rapid fire 12 inches)
Old 21 Jun 2006, 20:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

he's right its a killer, against anything, but as well as that, use a deep striking special weapons squad with melta guns to take out tanks
Old 21 Jun 2006, 22:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

if you're going to use the LatD list here's a few tips. id would go with close combat focus:

1) Elite infiltrators. get traitor squads with laspistol and close combat weapons and meltas. infiltrate with these and acompany them with a squad or two of close combat armed chaos marines(with melta and heavy bolter), or maybe even a squad of chaos bikers. but dont go to heavy on the codex: chaos stuff, only a squad or two.

2) Big foot slugging horde. Mutants! lots of mutants. the best upgrades are khornate or nurgle, but against IG i recommend nurgle. then upgrade them with firearms(free guns, who cares if a few backfire). And then back these up by a nice healthy squad of Big Mutants. this force will chrage in and munch up infantry squads by the doze. then you can have your two allowed marine squads be 5 man las/pls squads to take care of tanks.

If you want to go shooty:

I'd get some traitor units with heavy weapon and plasma. Infiltrate them into hover and try to out shoot the other guy. After you have taken your minimum 30 traitors you will have plenty of cannon fodder to pass around, so you can keep you other traitor squads small. Take a russ or two to try and out armour him(its great to see to russes fireing at eachother, twice the treadhead goodness!) Get two minimum chaos marine squads, arm them with some expensive stuff and go head hunting with them. As an HQ i would take aspiring champions, and deploy them to the big expensive traitor untis to bolster their leadership.(sentinels would be good to provide a mobile element if you focus on mission objectives.

Other than that i only have one other suggestions:

The Swamp(bare in mind ive never tested this unit):

HQ: a big fancy daemon prince or greater deamon.

Fast Attack: Some sentinels with anti-tank power.

Troops: 2 minimum squads of marines with anti-tank weapons. as many nurglings as you can possibly fit into the trunk of your car.

Strategy: Sentinels pop tanks and claim objectives. Marines head-hunt. Everything else goes and swamps(hence the name) the enemy until he surrounders just to stop you from making nurgley noises.

As some of you may have noticed i was weak enough to contemplate a LatD army and play a few proxy games. I will go do penitence now.

Old 22 Jun 2006, 20:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

don't take a blood thirster they're imensly boring to fight its impossible to kill them
Old 22 Jun 2006, 20:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin
don't take a blood thirster they're imensly boring to fight its impossible to kill them
Impossible to kill my ass. You shoot the thing enough and it's gonna go down. Come to think of it, I've killed a Bloodthirster with one turn of lasfire. Man was the Chaos player mad!
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 22 Jun 2006, 21:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by legio mortis
Impossible to kill my D'yi. You shoot the thing enough and it's gonna go down. Come to think of it, I've killed a Bloodthirster with one turn of lasfire. Man was the Chaos player mad!
that would have required an average of 150 guardsmen, i would have invested in some missile launchers.

Closed Thread