Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

an all infantry army
Closed Thread
Old 20 Jun 2006, 16:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default an all infantry army

ok 1000 points all infantry with las cannons in the the squads .

how many models will i have in it.
and how many las.cans will i be able to have
;D
thanks t.o
Old 20 Jun 2006, 16:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: an all infantry army

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor tau marc
ok 1000 points all infantry with las cannons in the the squads .

how many models will i have in it.
and how many las.cans will i be able to have
;D
thanks t.o
That all depends on how you design your army. There are many ways to do it.
Have fun making your army list. Post it when you're done and show us what you ame up with.

P.S. Imperial Guard do very poorly in low-point games. You need at least 1500 points before they begin to shine.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have gone up against an ALL Troop IG army, it was tough. He was rolling great so I got nuked ugly. Nothing beat an IG army when the guy has Hot Dice!

He did have a lot of heavy bolter/autocannon units as well

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 20 Jun 2006, 19:04   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ok, a pure infantry IG army is a very effective tool but all lascannons is not recommended.

An infantry platoon maxed out will cost ABOUT 500 points.

So, in theory and very rough estimate, at 1000 points, you should have 2 full platoons and a small (minimum size) HQ.

It will give you, more or less, 125 figs.

This is a very quick guestimate.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 19:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thank u to members

ok not to many lassys just enough to see of armour 14 in 1st to second rounds of play.
and the 15hundred thing its not true.
i have tau and my frend has an ig army at 1000 points and its rock hard!!
Old 20 Jun 2006, 23:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

A Completely Infantry Army-

Pros-
  • A ton of Models.
  • A ton of firepower.

Cons-
  • Imperial Guardsmen are not the best troop, and need stronger/tougher allies to aid them.
  • Slow movement, (no transports).
  • Building those "Tons of Models".
  • Dice Rolling would be a horrible pain.

While this may look good on paper, and maybe on a battlefield, its gameplay may be lacking. Sure, 250 men can kill anything on the charge, but let's face it, plain Imperial Guardsmen are weak without their steel exteriors, their Chimeras, and all of their other battle tanks, they have low stats in general, and horrible armour. Without their vehicles it would take them 3-4 turns to get them to the enemy, (close combat), or at least 1-2 to be in shooting range. They don't have many effective long range weapons, (guns aren't the strongest, and don't shoot too far), so they will have probably lost quite a few men by the time they take an enemy's life.

Space Marine GEQ kills- (30 firing)

19.68 shots hit, (20 rounded)
12.92 shots wound, and kill, (13 rounded)

Two turns of that equals roughly 25-30 dead Imperial Guardsmen, and that's just a few squads of space marines. The average kills for a normal list on the GEQ level is probably around 50-60 per turn in the open, so make careful steps to hide behind terrain if you use this kind of list.

How They're Supposed to Get Over it-

Normally, the average troop of any army cannot pierce an Imperial Guard battle tank's armour, and this is exactly how they protected themselves from all but the strongest enemies. An army of termagaunt could kill an army of Imperial Guardsmen easily enough, but could an army of Termagaunts kill 100 men, and a few battle tanks? Not with the armour the Imperial Guard put on their tanks!

A Ton of Carnifex's, or Anything Else With a Toughness Over 6-

Another big problem, imperial guard will have a hell of a hard time killing an army with a lot of tough monsters. Some squads will have lascannons, and autocannons, but in general, an all infantry army won't have a lot of these, maybe 4-6 at most in a 1500 point army, (haven't checked the codex in awhile if I'm wrong).

All in All-

Basically, I think this list may be a fun thing to proxy, but I would not step forward for collecting it. Not only would it cost a ton of money, but it probably wouldn't do too well. So, in my opinion, this is just a silly little idea, that can be made for a bit of fun. Imperial Guard units, like all other armies, need eachother to make a great army, and with the right strategy, and right combinations, can accomplish anything.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 20:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

gaurds main forte i think is tanks, they have some of the strongest tanks in the game, but sure, sounds like fun.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 22:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

our main forte is our leman russ, which provides great value for money(meaning AV 14 and pie plates in a 1K army) and the fact that we can take alot of cheap infantry, which means we get alot of meat shields to protect our heavy weapons.

Old 22 Jun 2006, 02:21   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ok guys, I play a pure infantry IG.

2000 points of IG gives 36 heavy weapons: 12 missile launchers, 12 mortars and 12 tripod mounted weapons of your choice. 180 models.

Throw in a few light infantry doctrines to help your deploy forward and you have a kick ass army.

While movement isn't your forte, if all the enemies are dead, movement becomes a moot point.

I fear no enemy army more than usual with this army. They are just as strong as my Blood Angels and can soak up much more damage.

Old 22 Jun 2006, 03:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
A Completely Infantry Army-
Basically, I think this list may be a fun thing to proxy, but I would not step forward for collecting it. Not only would it cost a ton of money, but it probably wouldn't do too well. So, in my opinion, this is just a silly little idea, that can be made for a bit of fun. Imperial Guard units, like all other armies, need eachother to make a great army, and with the right strategy, and right combinations, can accomplish anything.
While I agree that a pure infantry sit and shoot guard list has some serious drawbacks, I want to point out that my all-infantry drop troop guard army is actually the most powerful army I own. (Including my Speed Freaks, that won an RTT a couple of weeks back)

So, I would add that an all infantry guard army can be very competative if it makes heavy use of the drop troop doctrine. It overcomes the mobility problems that guard infantry armies can have, and open up new and insane tactics, like dropping command squads with four plasma guns, and Special Weapon Squads with flamers and Demo-charges.

The other thing that a lot of people don't realize is that, in a tournament enviornment, an all-infantry guard army has an automatic advantage. I played against a space wolf player when I was playtesting my drop-troops, and afterwards he mentioned that his army contained nearly 200 points of upgrades that were completely wasted against me. All his power fists, plasma guns, and lascannons were wasted against my little 6 point guardsmen.

So, an all-infantry guard army has a similar advantage to an armored company, in that most opponants will have the wrong kind of weapons to fight against it.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Closed Thread