Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Advice on distribution of heavy/special weapons to squads
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jun 2006, 21:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Advice on distribution of heavy/special weapons to squads

Well, I'm going to be making a large purchase of Elysians in the near future, but I need some advice on what to purchase next and how these units should be combined into the platoon. I haven't made an actual army list per se, but have a lot of ideas. I haven't bothered actually sitting down to make a list yet because it's going to take me so long to build the army anyway (I'm ordering enough to finish building the first platoon). So, here's my question: How do people like to distribute their heavy/special weapons, especially for drop troops? From what I've read, the standard plan for drop troops is to include a ton of meltas and plasma weapons. Unfortunately, plasma weapons are currently in short supply for Elysians. You only get one when ordering command HQs, and I can't possibly order enough HQ sets to fill my infantry squads. That somewhat limits me to meltas in terms of special weapons. So, I have to look to other options to round out my squads. What would people recommend? I'm seriously considering missle launchers and maybe heavy bolters, but both are heavy weapons with serious limitations. Are they worth it? Secondly, if heavy weapons are to be included, how do I distribute them? Do I intersperse them within multiple platoons, or do a specialize an entire platoon for one function? For example: do I buy a single rocket launcher for one squad in a platoon and give the other squads meltas, or do I specialize the entire platoon to only have meltas or missle launchers? Any advice is welcome.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 22:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Advice on distribution of heavy/special weapons to squads

the most effective way to distribute your heavy weapons(in my opinion) is putting them in squads, not dedicated teams. this limits the amount of 'juicy' targets your opponents get. but you're playing drop troops(correct me if im wrong) so itll be diferent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callhan
Secondly, if heavy weapons are to be included, how do I distribute them? Do I intersperse them within multiple platoons, or do a specialize an entire platoon for one function?
i would definetly specialize the platoons. usually this makes no difference, but you're going to be bringing in each platoon individually(due to deepstriking), making it better if you drop all of your tank busters in at once, then all your infantry killers etc.

ill give you some weapon specific advice for drop troops:

Heavy Bolter
Since your boys are going into the thick of it immediatly this will be a good heavy weapon. its cheap, it thins down the infantry. since your tank busting will be done by melta guns and squads who dont drop in it would be the weapon of choice for your squads.

Mortars
Not recommended for individaul squads, but great for dedicated teams. If you get enough you could hide behind terrain and bombard the enemy, pin them down and then have your paratroopers take them out from up close while they're pinned. useless in squads though

Lascannon
Too expensive for tank hunter teams(especailly since you dont start off with your whole army on the board). But also too expensive for your troops who are going in up close. I would say use them in squads that aren't dropping in nothing else. Since you have meltas it wont be that usefull.

Missile launcher
this weapon provides a mix of AT with light infantry killing and is a great all around weapon. i would recommend you using the Missile launchers in AT teams, since they appear harmless to the opponent and dont make such obvious targets. either deploy with them or drop the far away where their great range can be used.

Autocannons
Similar to the missile launcher, but works better with skimmers and light vehicles(dark eldar and ork). What these guys are good at is in platoon command squads, ive seen this done with great success. get a cheap expendable platoon command with autocannon and deepstrike it behind a tank. its high rate of fire will ensure a great chance of taking out a huge target in the first salvo(many people use meltas, but then you only get 50/50 chance of hitting,a nd have to drop in very close)

so in conclusion:
Mortars and Missile Launchers in dedicated teams
Lascannons in infatry squads who dont deepstrike
Autocannons in command squads who deepstrike
Heavy Bolters in basic squads.

Just to finish it off, Special weapons:

Meltas and Flamers: Anything that deepstrikes should have one of these. Mix and match in platoons to get variety with each drop.

Plasma Guns: Great for when you fight MEQ, since you get two shots up close, but you cant assault. I recommend these for suicide command squads, not for the regualr infantry.

Grenade Launcher: Beautiful in SIGAFH, but not so good iwht drop troops. while it is an assault weapon for 2 more points the melta gun is alot more powerfull, and the flmaer can work wonders. I'd not issue this to the squads dropping in unless you've run out of other special weapons.

Modeling wise:

Do you have any friends who collect space marines? because one option is to cut the hand off plasma pistols(you get them with marine commanders and assault squads. you get 10 with blood claw squads.) and then replace the lasgun barrel with it. of you could directly use the sace marine plasma gun, although its huge. if you have plenty of money(you colect resin guard, i assume you do) then you could buy the Elysian weapons pack with 2 of each special weapon(including snipers) and 6 Elysian lasguns.

Old 13 Jun 2006, 22:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I am also slowly putting together an Elysian army. I would recommend the Elysian weapon pack for extra weapons.

The other thing I would recommend is to start thinking about a list. I actually have a couple lists I am working on. These would have specialized units that start on the ground from turn one.

Having read tons of tactic stuff and playing against IG, Autocannons really do work well, as do Heavy Bolters.

I don't know about you but I find myself getting wiped of the board when a IG player has HOT DICE!!! So going with what has happened to me, I started two lists. Both lists have . . .

Anti-Tank Squad Missile Launcher
Fire Support Squad Heavy Bolters

I feel these could start from turn one due their long range firepower. They would fire on units to soften them up before I drop in the rest of the army.

Keep posting the up keep of you forces, I just started piecing together my Command HQ.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 16 Jun 2006, 03:45   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm going to sound dumb but what does SIGAFH mean?
"Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"
Old 16 Jun 2006, 04:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Shooty Imperial Guard Army From Hell- A very shooty, static Guard army.

Anyways:

Ellessar: Most of what you said makes very good advice, but I suggest missile Launchers in squads [as they are very versatile], while Autocannons are great in dedicated squads.

Just last night, I busted apart a Hellhound, a Wartrukk, and cut down a gaggle of Orks with 2 Autocannons in just a few turns. With those kind of targets, I would personally like 6 shots together, and not 2 with 18 lasgun shots along with it.

Anyways, special Weapons.

Meltagun: Take it. Thats all there is to say. Your troops will drop close, and a S[You know] shot will do serious damage, and its biggest letback has just been solved: range! Definately something that should be taken!

Plasmagun: You may want this in your fire support dedicated infantry squads... they are great blowing apart small vehicles and tough infantry. Drop-troops should shy away, though, as its merely a lasgun with better stats, and belongs with lasguns, not meltas. It is Rapid-fire, too, not Assault.

Flamer: Basicly a multi-hit Bolter, this will serve you well with drop-troops. Take it! Its cheap, effective, and scary! FS Infantry squads should shy away from it. Flamers in FS Infantry Squads=Points Pit

Grenade launcher: Great for FS Infantry squads... its essentially the cousin of a missile launcher, hence, it does well with a ML. Its range is also a plus.

Good Luck!
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 16 Jun 2006, 21:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the advice folks!

I just bought two infantry squads, a melta squad and a command squad (ouch!).

These, along with my first squad should round out my first platoon. My plan is to break up the melta squad and put the melta + extra man into the infantry squads. I'm taking the grenade launcher models that come with the regular infantry squads and converting them into plasmagun carriers for the command squad. I'm going to keep the demo charge model, mainly because there isn't much that can be done with him in terms of conversion. By the way, what is the cost of demo charges? I didn't see anything listed in the codex (give me a page number if you can't tell me the cost).

The next platoon I plan to make purely fire support. I'm going to disperse missle launchers among three infantry squads.

After that I'll build at least two more front line infantry squads with meltas and flamers.

After finishing off basic infantry units I'll get some dedicated A/C and mortar squads.

I'll try to draw up an official list soon. Thanks again.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 07:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Elysians are great models. I just wish they were not so expensive.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Closed Thread