Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The urban war: a Cities of Death overview.
Closed Thread
Old 11 Jun 2006, 21:38   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default The urban war: a Cities of Death overview.

I've been cityfighting for a long time.

I've fought across building after building, every inch bought with a dozen lives. I've fought in battles where 4" of road cost me a third of my army. I've seen Space Wolves falter and die as Griffon shells crash through the ceiling, and I've watched as the mightiest of warriors are left for dead in the rubble.

The key change to us is the inclusion of Stratagems. As such, I will consider each individually.

Key Buildings:
My favourite section. Key Buildings appeals directly to my style of Cityfighting; get in a building, stay there, and slaughter anything that comes close!
Key Buildings favour a static style of play. You can't move the Stratagem point, there's only one of them and it has to be in a building. Still, when was the last time you had to convince a Guard player
not to sit in 4+ cover for 4-6 turns?

Ammo Store:
This thing is gold. The ability to up our units to Bs 2.5 is something we just can't pass up. Slap down a Heavy Weapon squad, or other well-quipped force, and you have the potential to wipe your enemy off the map in a bloody flash of las. This is by far the most obviously-desirable Doctrine, and the one I would go for without question.

Command Centre:
This one I'm torn on.

The first option is less than great. Counter-attack is not a great rule for the Guard. We aren't strong in combat, and whilst it may win the day on occasion, I wouldn't be putting a lot of money on this.

Second option is more valuable. After all, Ld 7 is far from perfect, and unless you plan to cash in on voxes, or cuddle up to the HSO, you'll be testing on this average Ld. Being able to freely snipe a key unit could indeed be of great use.

My only problem with this is that, in my experience at least, lines of fire are pretty short. You'll only be getting one target at a time, so why bother?

Fuel Dump:

Ah, now this is gold!

We in the Guard rule the Templates! Why you ask? The Hellhound! This baby can park up next to the Fuel Dump, and you've got a 24" flame-cannon capable of knocking a Hammerhead out of the sky!

Medicae Facility:
Another excellent choice. The Medicae Facility makes shifting our weaker units a real hassle. This is best used, I feel, on Heavy Weapon Squads, or Command Squads; vulnerable units who cannot normally sustain heavy fire. If nothing else, place it in a building you need to keep control off, and trust your men to endure anything that is thrown at them.

Power Generator:
If your hitting's good, but wounding's shot, then here's the Stratagem for you!

This, like the Ammo Dump, is gold. The only reason I don't favour it over the Ammo Dump is that most of our damage comes from heavy weapons, which already have a good chance of wounding.
That said, if you need to knock out Carnifex, Wraithlords or other big, tough nasties... or if you're using Sharpshooters, then go for it.

Observation Point:
I'm a little torn on this. To be honest, it's been a long time since I fought in a Night Fight, and in Cityfighting, 12" is long range. I can't see anyone needing this Stratagem.

Sacred Ground:
This one has the potential to hurt. Big time.

Stubborn is easily underestimated. Used right, you can get yourself a unit that will hold come hell or high water. The only problem is that Guard lack the general survivability to hold time and again. It seems more of a one-shot upgrade than a lasting bonus.

Dirty Tricks:
Rules are there to be broken. The whole "playing fair" thing might work if you're a blue-skinned freak who wants to be friends with everyone, but in the Imperial Guard life is cheap, and the Reaper is kept busy. The odds are against us, so you should always be prepared to do whatever it takes to bring the odds back in our favour, be that deploying snipers, holding vantage points, or sharing out your Demolition-Charges.

Booby Traps:
Potentially destructive, Booby-Traps are a powerful one-shot weapon. Given that they only hit one person, they are best against high-save targets (such as Terminators) or vehicles. Problem is making the enemy move over them... a wise commander will send expendable units in first to "minesweep" the way clean for approaching units. Given that the enemy knows where they are from the beginning, you can't spring them on people either.

Good in theory, bad in practice. Probably best not to use it.

Demolition:
Demolition is potentially very nasty. Being able to deny your opponent their hiding place is not to be sneered at, and an experienced general should be able to guess where his enemies will try and hold. You also need to know when to detonate... but even so, denied cover is denied cover.

Master Snipers:
For the Ratling fan-club, this one is a gem. For everyone else, it really isn't worth it. Using up a Stratagem so three models benefit seems silly to me.

This Stratagem works on your whole army, so buy a big block of Ratlings, bring in the Light Infantry, and teach the enemy that bricks and mortar do not stop the Emperor's Wrath!

Plunging Fire:
Another "whole army" Stratagem, Plunging Fire is an excellent choice for cities with lots of tall buildings. Using this, you can quickly and easily set up killing grounds, and drive out even well-defended opponents. 18" might not sound much, but take it from me, that's extreme range in Cityfighting.

This one is wasted if you aren't firing from above, so doesn't help aggressive play. If you need to keep moving, leave this at home.

Preliminary Bombardment:
It's easy to scoff at, but a light peppering of shells can work wonders. I wouldn't take it for an Alpha, probably not even a Gamma, but Omega-missions could certainly benefit.

Some will like it, some won't. It's all about personal preference.

Armoury Stratagems:

Combat Engineers:
This one I'm torn on. On the one hand you get a lot of very tasty toys... but on the other hand, most of these are for offensive play, and to me that seems somewhat foolish. The Guard's strength, as I see it, comes from digging in and blowing the hell out of people. If an enemy must be cleared, it is done with lasgun, shell and flamer, not with knife and chainsword.

Could be useful, if used properly.

Rapelling Lines Stratagem:
Totally useless. If you're willing to think outside the box a little, then this could theoretically be used with Valkyrie Gunships... but by the same token, Valkyries deploy via repelling-lines anyway. In essence, we will either never need this, or get a better version of it for free.

Siege Shells Stratagem:
Wow, another useless Stratagem!

I really can't see the value of this. Why would anyone bother shelling a building when they can lob a normal Demolisher shell in and flatten everyone inside, leaving the building fit for re-use by our own soldiers?

For those who really want to flatten the scenery, the Medusa from Forgeworld has double the range of these Siege Shells, and still keeps its AP of 2. There is no point using this Stratagem.

Wreaker Stratagem:
All bad things come in threes... we have no Dreadnoughts, and no Monstrous Creatures, so I'll say no more about it.

Obstacles Stratagem:

Barricades Stratagem:
This is perfect for when you need to hold something other than a building. Throw this across a bascilica yard, or a road, or a storage yard, and you can turn a killing ground into a defendable position. Just remember your enemy can make as much use of them as you can!

Razor Wire Stratagem:
Whereas Barricades are meant to benefit our troops, Razor Wire hinders the enemy. Placing these down can turn an already deadly killing ground into an absolute slaughter.
They are best placed where you have good fields of fire, so as to make best use of the time it will buy. Large squads especially can be slowed for several turns, and that gives us plenty of time to fire away from cover!

Tank Traps Stratagem:
Tanks can be a real problem in Cityfight. They're big, they're powerful, and they can use cover to get very, very close.

Tank Traps stop that. By placing these in key positions, you can funnel enemy tanks into killing grounds, forcing them to approach exactly where you want them, usually headlong into your anti-tank guns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 11 Jun 2006, 23:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: The urban war: a Cities of Death overview.

Wargamer, do you think you could beef this up a little-and we could slap it into the Tactica?
Old 12 Jun 2006, 18:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate

Oh, Hellhounds and large flamer happy conscripts always seemed to have done well in cityfight...Nasty. :'(
Old 12 Jun 2006, 19:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

the Teutonian 633rd will benefit greatly from these new rules(light infantry plus cameleoline, muahahaha!). becuase of a certain boycott i am carrying out(due to price hikes) i still haven't gotten the cities of death book, but i might actually consider buying it seeing just how much new stuff there is.

Old 14 Jun 2006, 23:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Wargamer, can you please clarify the bonus gained for the Fuel Dump option- does it confer a Strength bonus of some sort?

Go the mighty Hellhound! :rockon:

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
Old 15 Jun 2006, 00:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm consider buying the cities of death book...

If I purchase it, I'll throw in my opinion.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 06:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Ammo dump allows you to reroll hits.

I like re-rolls. Make units better at what they where supposed to do.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 15 Jun 2006, 06:54   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'll add the other strategems when I get around to writing them... other things keep coming up.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 15 Jun 2006, 11:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What about a fortified building, with the medicae key building strategem, and a few units of guard with Cameoline inside. I think some of the Cities of Death combinations can be a bit sick. 2+ cover save + Feel No Pain means that unit isn't going anywhere you don't want it to go.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 13:37   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'm pretty sure it's one Stratagem per building...

Quote:
Closed Thread