Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cheap, massed lasguns
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jun 2006, 16:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Cheap, massed lasguns

Alright, my little brother wants to start guard and I've been reading over tactica for a while and figured that for the type of small army he wants to play he'd need the following:

2 Guard Platoons
1 Command Squad
1 Junior Officer Blister
2 Heavy Weapon Platoons

I'm pretty sure that would make a decent small-game SIGAFM for a low $ cost. Does anyone have any objections to the choices? Or better yet, can anyone pm me a site for GW discounts on guard?
Thanks
Old 08 Jun 2006, 17:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Cheap, massed lasguns

i wouldn't go with 2 heavy weapon platoons. thats atleast 6 heavy weapons. seeing as you only have 40 guardsmen thats a bit of a waste. i would get a cadian starter, 2 officer blisters and a guard platoon. this gives you 40 infantrymen, (atleast) 3 heavy weapons, a leman russ and 4 officers plus a nice set of terrain.. i didn't include the command squad since i feel its a waste of points unless your planning on using all of those models(i wouldn't). after that i would go for another infantry platoon.

Old 08 Jun 2006, 17:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hmmm, sounds like Guard aren't very cheap to play...I take it SIGAFH aren't very good at the 500-750 pt level, are they?
Old 08 Jun 2006, 18:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to smurf

well they are,you just dont need 6 heavy weapons. But i hate using Lemans in game of less than 1000 points
Nothing in life is forever, but none of your deeds were in vain
Deep in our hearts you will live again, you're gone to the home of the brave
R.I.P Kangaroo Joe
Old 08 Jun 2006, 18:44   #5 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Hello

Well if you're brother is a noob and is wanting a cheap and effective army in 500pts+ i would recommend either Space marines, Chaos Space Marines or Necrons. Why...? well they're cheap, easy to paint, powerful and easy to grasp. The only downside of doing Space Marines is that, since your brothers a noob he'll most likely go for smurfs (derogatory term for Ultramarines) and alot of marine players i face up against have smurfs. Saying that I'm currently doing a Blood Angels army. ;D

Or you could bring him to your local/nearest GW store and there he can get advice from staffers and get a look at the different codex's models etc. P.S staffers will also probably recommend Space Marines.

Old 08 Jun 2006, 18:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
Hmmm, sounds like Guard aren't very cheap to play...I take it SIGAFH aren't very good at the 500-750 pt level, are they?
no guard armies are good at 500 points, and they dont really begin to shine until 1500 points. if your going to play 750 points i suggest taking a leman russ to give you a bit of an edge since you'll be losing effectivness due to paying for all the formalities(command squads and such)

as Head shot said most new players go for MEQ(marine equivalent) armies such as marines, chaos and necrons. but if your brother likes imperial guard i would encourage him to collect them. it'll be harder, but worth it in the long run. i wanted to start with guard, but didn't have the money and was affraid of their low statlines. so i went with tau. i enjoyed my tau alot, but i kept regretting not getting imperial guard. as soon as i started my first guard(gue'vesa) i only used my tau for competition battles.

Old 08 Jun 2006, 19:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
Not only do you need (potentially) to buy many models, but you will need to spend hours trimming flash, basing and painting. Consider the hidden cost to buying oh say 200 figures.
lets just say 2 hours each, 400 hours (16 days!).

Old 10 Jun 2006, 10:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, he somes to love guard and I already play Marines so he was planning on some allied play vs two Tyranid Hive Fleets just around the corner. I guess the limitations are painting and cost as he earns little cash and we both detest painting entirely (and suck at it to boot). It makes matters worse that they are poor preformers in games under 1000 pts as we play those twice a week. I'll possibly look into Chaos then, even if it does mean 3 vs 1 in megabattles.
Thanks for the help.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 12:46   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Tel ur bro not to play ig. in city fights, their numbers suck, the r really slow and overall will cost tons of money.

Life is a tree some jump off, some push others off, and some climb to the top
Old 10 Jun 2006, 12:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier31
Life is a tree some jump off, some push others off, and some climb to the top
and the ones at the top are those with thousands of soldiers and AV 14.

Closed Thread