Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drop Troops: GO or no go
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jun 2006, 10:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Drop Troops: GO or no go

Im starting a new Guard Regiment (Again) and was considering drop troops so, whats the deal , go or no go

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Old 06 Jun 2006, 15:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Drop Troops: GO or no go

that depends, do you want drop troops or not? its a good doctrines since its free, and opens up fluff opportunities, so its really down to you.

Old 06 Jun 2006, 16:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As a drop-troop guard player, I'd suggest playtesting it first before you buy any models. Drop-Troop guard require a completely different approach then regular guard. You have to be extremely aggressive and be willing to take big risks. You have to be willing to accept a level of chaos and make the best decisions within that chaos to further your goals.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 18:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, if you are already familiar with what IG can do, I think the next level would be a Drop Guard. So I say go for it.

I am going with a DT IG army idea right now. I really like the idea of the Elysian fuff.

As a matter of fact I have a very fuffly idea about drop troops and I am going to work with now.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 06 Jun 2006, 18:22   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I say go for it (got my Elysians today!) but if you don't want to pay for FW models, you'll need to do a a lot of converting. Don't by the grav-chutes though, they don't fit Cadians and they ain't worth 9.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 22:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmacaster
I say go for it (got my Elysians today!) but if you don't want to pay for FW models, you'll need to do a a lot of converting. Don't by the grav-chutes though, they don't fit Cadians and they ain't worth 9.
I vote Yes, go for it.

Plasmacaster, how many or what units did you get so far?

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 07 Jun 2006, 13:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You don't need to play drop-troops all that differently from normal guard - because you do not have to drop everyone, it's an option, but certainly not a requirement.

Some good ideas:

Take a command squad full of meltas, and drop them near a tank.
Put aside one or two squads for dropping onto objectives, and leave everyone else to do their normal thing.

Some less-good ideas:
Drop your whole army.

Playing guard, you want distance between yourself and your opponent, and as many turns of shooting as possible. Holding back your entire force means that you're denying yourself at least one, maybe two full shooting phases (depending if you win or lose first turn), and only operating at half-strength for another two, until everyone lands.

Drop troops are good, because they let you take a couple of squads and put them aside to take objectives, without making the rest of your army have to move that much.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 23:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My plan is to leave all heavy weapons on the ground along with a 45 man strong pathfinder platoon, have a 45 man drop troop platoon and stormies and HQ arriving in Valkyries, maybe only one Valkyrie to start with (I am connverting other models to make Valkyrie subs)

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Old 08 Jun 2006, 03:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Can you use a Valkyrie without premission from your opponant?
Might want to look into that before you solidify your army design.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 06:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Mechanized > Drop Troops

Silly people : :P
Closed Thread