Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guard Mounted Companies
Closed Thread
Old 04 Jun 2006, 10:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Imperial Guard Mounted Companies

I had an idea whilst dousing myself in the shower. Whole Guard companies, mounted on horses.

Most of the units could be the same, just on horseback, only they&#39;d have to lose the heavy and special weapons units

HQ

Command squad (same just mounted)
0-2 special weapons squads (same just mounted, but no sniper rifles or demolition charges)

Sanctioned Psykers (same just mounted)

Commissars (same just mounted)

Priests (same just mounted)

ELITES

0-1 Hardened veterans (same, just mounted, but without heavy weapons)

Techpriest Enginseers (same, just mounted, perhaps -1" or 2" due to stabilisers, and maybe either not have servitors)

TROOPS

Infantry platoon (command squad is mounted, use rough rider squadrons instead of infantry squads)

Armoured fist squad

Hellhound

Sentinel Squadron

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Battle Tank

Leman Russ Demolisher

Basilisk
I&#39;m a bit iffy about whether the sanctioned psykers should be included because magic would probably freak out the horse. Also I thought Orgrys wouldn&#39;t be able to ride horses (either through lack of ability or the fact that they weigh so much). I left out mounted storm troopers, seeing as they aren&#39;t really guard as such, they are kill teamists trained by the Schola Progenium. Techpreists could present a problem due to the extra weight of servo-arms, maybe they could only have servitors if mounted in a chimera. I&#39;ll leave it up in the air for suggestions. I left in tank related unit as they can keep up with horses.

also I had some ideas about alternate organization doctrines that could be used: xenos mounts (like those displayed in CA)

any suggestions, ideas, or common sense issues found please let me know as I think I&#39;ll send this in to Chapter Approved.
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 04 Jun 2006, 10:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Imperial Guard Mounted Companies

It would be great as a themed army... If you use rough riders you could make them the most skilled riders you have in the army which represents their extra movment for the cavelry bonus.

Special weapons could still be used. Mount them on the horse some how. Rough riders have the options for meltas etc.

However... you only draw back is the fact that you are going to need ALOT of horses.
But if you use it as a themed army then i&#39;d drop the armoured fist squad of another platoon of riders.
Old 04 Jun 2006, 16:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I&#39;ve thought about this before, too. I also thought I would be cool to have horses in the armory under wargear, I mean come on just about everyone else has something nifty they can ride on... battlesuits, bikes, jet-bikes...
Old 04 Jun 2006, 16:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think you should make a few house rules, like servitored horses for AM Tech priest, its a lobotamized horse who is basicly a servitor.

Excelelnt idea, I really hope you make this a reality!

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 04 Jun 2006, 16:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

having everything hte same but mounted is a bit unfair. its basicly saying free horses and extra assault range for everyone! also, whats the point or armoured fists?

may i suggestnot making hunting lances available to everyone? maybe just elite and fast attack rough riders?

what i would do is simply increase the cost of every guardsman by 2 points. 5 points if they ahve two wounds and 10 is they have 3 or more.

Old 04 Jun 2006, 18:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to smurf

drop the hellhound in troops, or make a rule like it cant be used as one of the compulsory. Armoured fist still has its place in the army to me, but i&#39;m not sure how (i confuse myself a lot).

Make it more generic, maybe with other mounts allowed with slightly different rules (yayness of bikes)
Nothing in life is forever, but none of your deeds were in vain
Deep in our hearts you will live again, you&#39;re gone to the home of the brave
R.I.P Kangaroo Joe
Old 04 Jun 2006, 20:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

you could make the infantry platoon a 1+ or 2+ to ensure people actually have some guardsmen in their army and dont take an entire army of hellhounds or sentinels(although an army of sentinels would be cool)

Old 05 Jun 2006, 02:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

THAT SOUNDS CRAZY!!! mounted guard army would be so cool..., even if you just fielded a mounted guard army with regular rules it would still be so cool to place like 80 horses on the field. you should do it get some experimental rules and convert some models. just imagine a commisar horse barking orders... or tech preist with a mechanical mount and the servitors instead of on mounts actually being like half man half mechanical mount
Old 05 Jun 2006, 02:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Even using normal rules (explaining that the horses are small or to heavily laden to hoof it), the army would look sensational on the battlefield.

Although me thinks you&#39;ll get heckled to "go play Fantasy!"
Old 05 Jun 2006, 08:39   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I&#39;m pretty sure I did something like this once...

To create a Rough Rider army (which is what I assume you&#39;re going for), I suggest the following changes:

1) Rough Riders are Troops, and are formed into Platoons exactly as Guard Squads are (eg: 1 Rough Rider Officer and 2-5 Rough Rider Squads).

2) All Officers and their Command Squads (including any Advisors) automatically receive Horses, upgrading them to Rough Rider Officers.
Rough Rider Officers cost +10pts more than normal Officers, and cannot take Heavy Weapons. All other options remain unchanged.
In addition, they may take Hunting Lances at the usual cost.

3) Armoured Fists become Fast Attack.

4) Heavy Weapon Squads/Platoons may still be used. Each HW squad costs an additional +10pts, and is horse-mounted.

5) Basilisks may not be taken; such artillery has no place in a fast-moving cavalry force!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread