Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guard Organization
Closed Thread
Old 03 Jun 2006, 14:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Imperial Guard Organization

Here is the organization of a standard cadian pattern guard army. I wrote of topic slightly related to this a while back, but I didn't give enough detail to include larger groups of armed forces.

[hr]

[hr]

One squad is 10 men. (One sergeant, 9 troopers)

One Platoon includes 2-5 squads, and a command section. So 55 men. (50 soldiers, 5 men in the command group)

One company contains 4 platoons, several heavy weapon teams, and attached elements to add up to 340 men.

24 companies of 340 men add up to one regiment, of roughly 8000 men. (Meaning one cadian pattern regiment is roughly 8000 combat men)

1-4 regiments join together to form a brigade. A brigade is roughly 32,000 men.
A brigade is commanded by a Colonel of one of the regiments in the brigade. Usually that Colonel takes on the Rank of Master Colonel, or Brigadier, and has ultimate control over all four of the regiments, but leaves the more fine level detail to the other Colonels.
The Master Colonel/Brigadier is now part of the higher command, and has a say in the ultimate operation of the army.

2-8 (or more) Brigades can then join together and be called a division. A division is commanded by a Division Commander, who has a lot of power. The Division commander can request for speciality units to be attached to certain regiments in his division, and can request air support from a whole sector. A division typically contains 256,000 men.

Finally, the highest rank an officer can obtain before entering the Battle Group Command is General. A general commands an Army, which is two divisions combined. An army is a mass organization, and most common soldiers only ever communicate with a rank higher then them. An army (two divisions) is roughly compromised of 512,000 men. The General is the pinnacle of Imperial Guard leadership, with the ability to multitask and plan with ease.

The problem with Generals and higher level commanders, is that they're usually pompous and lazy, and are usually quite greedy when it comes to personal profit. Although they are good at what they do, corruption is always common among the higher ranks.

[hr]

Common Ranks:

Highest to lowest. The given rank can command everyone below them.

[x]Master Colonel/Brigadier (Commands a Brigade)
[x]Colonel (Commands a Regiment)
[x]Captain (Commands a Company, or Battalion)
[x]Lieutenant (Commands a Platoon)
[x]Master Sargeant (Commands a Squad-higher rank then Sargeant)
[x]Sargeant (Commands a Squad)
[x]Corporal (Now, the corporal isn't actually higher ranked then a Private, just the rank Corporal is to show a specialization, such as using special weapons, or operating a Vox-Caster)
[x]Private
[x]Conscript

[hr]

[hr]

Here's some more information on the formation of battalions.

A Battalion contains 4 companies, each led by a Captain. Each Battalion contains roughly 1360 fighting men, who come under the command of the Battalion Commander, which is the most experienced Captain within the Battalion.
In a Cadian army, it is most likely for reinforcements and reserves to be deployed at the Battalion level, as the Battalion is just large enough to provide a commanding amount of heavy weapons and manpower.

There are 6 Battalions in a Cadian pattern regiment.

[hr]

[hr]

Hope this helps.

Old 03 Jun 2006, 15:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Imperial Guard Organization

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Krezent
One Platoon includes 2-5 squads, and a command section. So 55 men. (50 soldiers, 5 men in the command group)
cadian platoons are 2-6 squads.
Quote:
One company contains 4 platoons, several heavy weapon teams, and attached elements to add up to 340 men.
cadian companies are anywhere between 2 and 6 platoons, not necessarily 4.(plus heavy weapons and vehicles.)

Old 03 Jun 2006, 15:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
Quote:
Quote:
cadian companies are anywhere between 2 and 6 platoons, not necessarily 4.(plus heavy weapons and vehicles.)
Well, sorry. I kinda guess you'd come in here and rip me apart, but I guess I didn't do too bad.

The thing is, if they have too many platoons, there isn't enoguh room for other units in the company.
Old 03 Jun 2006, 15:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

well companies dont have to be 340 men exactly. im sure you can give or take a hundred.

Quote:
The thing is, if they have too many platoons, there isn't enoguh room for other units in the company.
in that case the company compensates by having more infantry than normal, but you are right, 4 is about avrage. companies can vary and aren't completely static. im glad you choose cadians though, they've got the simplest organization chart. other regiments have all commanders in company one, all vehicles in company two, all heavy weapons in company 3 etc.

Old 03 Jun 2006, 15:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
well companies dont have to be 340 men exactly. im sure you can give or take a hundred.

Quote:
in that case the company compensates by having more infantry than normal, but you are right, 4 is about avrage. companies can vary and aren't completely static. im glad you choose cadians though, they've got the simplest organization chart. other regiments have all commanders in company one, all vehicles in company two, all heavy weapons in company 3 etc.
Yeah, if everything is batched together it's a big problem with organizing attached and unattached units.
Old 03 Jun 2006, 16:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmm... good piece!

The Minsk Battlegroup, which in your definition is an Army, has similair organization. Here are ranks.

Recruit [Basic Training]
Private
Private First Class [Special weapons, Vox]
Corporal [Assistant Squad Leader, leads a fireteam]
Sergeant [Leads a squad]
Staff Sergeant [Leads a squad, battlefield experience required]
Master Sergeant/First Sergeant [One in each platoon, platoon sergeant, colour sergeant]
Command Master Sergeant [One per company, quartermaster]

Lietenent
Captain
Major [Leads a battalion, several companys, 2-4 a regiment. Can be XO of regiment]
Lt. Colonel [leads smaller regiments, several company task forces. Can be XO of regiment]
Colonel

Brigadier General [Only in M-PDF]
Generalissimo [One, who is Stankov]

Aside from that, here is a list of titles given to members of General Staff, Stankov's aides and assisstants

Chief Mess Officer [2 positions in Genral Staff; one personal chef for Stankov, other in charge of victual supplys]
Chief Training Officer [In charge of camps set up for basic training]
Chief Tactician [7 currently, assist in tactical maneouvers at HQ]
Chief Drum Major [In charge of Minsk Regimental Parades and bands]
Chief Quartermaster [Incharge of supplys]
Personal Aide Staff [Led by Lietenent Makushka, this staff consists of Stankov's servants, and another faction, led personally by Makushka, is his battle retinue. Makushka is Stankov's Personal Aide, attending to basic filing and office work for teh Generalissimo.]

All these titles have 2-3 assisstants working under them.

Also at HQ are the Commissariat representitives, 2 of which are permentently attached to Stankov's command Company.
Again, officials from the Munitorium and Administartum are eternally present at General HQ, as are represetnitives from Adeptus Mechanicus, and Adepta Pyskoligis [or whatever its called].

I like the idea of writing this down... it helps fluff a lot!

Thanks!
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 03 Jun 2006, 20:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I was always under the impression that each world followed different guidelines, much like NATO forces do/did. Each rank has an equivalent in another army, but it may not necessarily be a direct translation and there may be additional ranks in some armies that may not be encompassed in another.

The broad categories in the codex are just rough classifications of positions, i.e. junior officer would be a company level officer (2nd lieutenant/ensign, 1st lieutenant, captain) etc.

best of luck,

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

It is true that a ship is safest in harbor, but that is not why ships are built.
Old 03 Jun 2006, 21:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmings
I was always under the impression that each world followed different guidelines, much like NATO forces do/did. Each rank has an equivalent in another army, but it may not necessarily be a direct translation and there may be additional ranks in some armies that may not be encompassed in another.

The broad categories in the codex are just rough classifications of positions, i.e. junior officer would be a company level officer (2nd lieutenant/ensign, 1st lieutenant, captain) etc.

best of luck,
That's why I said "Cadian Pattern".
Old 03 Jun 2006, 21:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

that is true, most regiments speak a different dialec(and even language) than other regiments, so haveing different names for different ranks is inevitable. but something along private and corporal tends to be low, while general and commander are almost always high. the cadian method of ranking is a mirror of NATO ranking, meaning an LT commands a platton, while a colonel commands several platoons. sergeants are incharge of squads and privates are the lowest footsoldiers. i personally ahven't gotten down to making rank listings for all my soldiers. i might do it latter though.

Old 03 Jun 2006, 23:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Quote:
Quote:
Actually Krez is right... it is 2-5 and a command squad not 2-6.... if it was 2-6 then we could fit even more points and men into a single FoC