Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First Blood on Medusa: A mega battle (VERY pic heavy)
Closed Thread
Old 24 May 2006, 23:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default First Blood on Medusa: A mega battle (VERY pic heavy)

Hey... last weekend Gorloth the Great, myself, and two other warhammer players who have yet to see the light of this great forum got together and blew stuff up. Metaphorically, I mean. We made it pretty far on this one (turn 5- yah!) and this one was WAY more fun than last time, due mostly to nicer kids who cared more about the game, and the brownies and lemonade my mom made for us gamers. In addition there were a lot of what I like to call "scenic moments" very in character with the 40k universe.

Well, without further ado...

Their set up. The Tau and Orks were somewhat allied, but their alliance was not "locked" like mine was. The Tau army was made by someone fairly new to the hobby who only had the codex, thus his minies were all borrowed from people who don't play anymore.

Our set up. Dark Angels and Imperial Guard defend a valuable promethium refinery against the hordes of evil. The DA player managed to fit in a regular termi squad, and a termi command squad w/ grand master that later deployed via the drop pod I made... > (Note: look in the conversion board pg 2 I think for WIP pics)

They got the first turn, shooting was nothing much except the broadside immoblizing my Leman Russ Demolisher. All in all, could 'ave been worse. Our next turn was not very interesting, shooting killed a few shoota boys.

Again, they moved forward. In our turn, we rolled for reserves... 5! With a whoosh and long line of fire, the drop pod comes down right in front of the evil bikes with special character biker. We wiped them out.

more later, got to go do homework...
Old 24 May 2006, 23:14   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: First Blood on Medusa: A mega battle (VERY pic heavy)

how many pts was this 1500 each? ???
Old 24 May 2006, 23:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

It looks like it was 1500pts combined for each side, although I'm sure the Colonel will enlighten us. looks like it was a good, fun, and shiny game. Hope you can convince the other players to join TO soon.

Also, one question. Are those Gray Knights hiding behind the spray-painted coffee can? If so, which army do they belong to?

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Old 25 May 2006, 00:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Aha... good eye, Kiznti. Yes they are grey knights as proxys for DA termies.

And each player brought 1000 pts... thus it was 2000 pts divided between my friend and me.

and on to the battle:

The Grandmaster fearlessly led his squad onto the bikes. Though the crazed orks fired all they could at with their big shootas, the terminator armor held firm and each bike was systematically picked off through the combined power of 3 stormbolters and two assault cannons. Stragglers were picked off via 2 power swords and 3 power fists. Unfortunately, the seargent of the squad fell down dead due to taking several shots in the helmet.

Deepstriking terminators wasn't the only bad luck for the orks, for it was at this point that the Tau began a small fire firefight with their two crisis suits against the warbuggy attack group carrying the warboss, destroying Gorloth's personal transport but failing to wound the powerful leader or any of his nob retinue. In addition, for some reason Gorloth put the buggy carrying the squad of burna boyz directly in front of my grenadier unit with a plasma gun and melta-gun combo. The resulting explosion, however, was so powerful it blew up both special weapon troopers! >

The battle at turn 3. It wasn't looking good for the Imperials, as the looted Leman Russ of the orks managed to let off a round that destroyed much of my command squad, Colonel Sanders was among the fallen having failed his invulnerable save. (only knocked out, however ) The highlight of this turn was that one of the infantry platoon squads in the building ruin finally managed to put a krak missile were it hurts on the Leman Russ, thus ending it's reign of tyranny. Unfortunately, the Killa Kans charged the deepstriked terminator squad, and when the dust cleared none were left alive. The DA Librarian also marched off to cast "Fear of the Darkness" on the now foot slogging warboss retinue, they all fell 18" back. However, this left the brave dude out in the open for what happened next...

Ouch! That's gotta hurt! The battlewagon (unpainted tank) did a perfect 45 degree swerve, then unleashed a horde of slugga boyz who immediately charged the librarian, ignoring the Hellhound right behind him. (painted tank). The Librarian was far more skilled in the art of personal combat than the orks, and with a might stroke of his force pike sucked the soul right out of the ork nob. However, there were still 19 ork boyz left and the resulting 76 attacks was not pretty. At least it made a pretty awesome picture.

Vengeance, however, was swift. The missile launcher squad upstairs blew up the battle wagon with it's missile launcher and the other terminator squad combined with everything in the complex left alive (there were a LOT of dice, let me tell you...) blasted away at the squad and in a typical display of math-hammer, only about 5 orks bit the dust. And that was when we made our BIG MISTAKE. (you can't play a game without not making one...) In a display of brazzen stupidity to say the least, the DA player and I decided it would be a good idea to charge the termi squad (with 4 powerfists, mind) into the ork squad. Math-hammer also played a part here, as the seargent claimed one ork before he and the rest of his team were slaughtered to a man. Oops.

The game ended here, as all who have played a mega battle know that 5 hours goes by quickly. Though the ork primary attack had failed (notice the battlewagon wreck and few slugga boyz) I know that things were about to go way down south for my team. Had we played longer, the remainders of the slugga boyz probably would have mobbed up, tied up my grenadiers in close combat, and the killa kans would have added their personal touch along with the warboss retinue who was getting quite close to my lines.

As it was, it came out a victory for my team! As the objective was "there must be a scoring unit of orks on the refinery terrain peice on the last turn" to win the game, and the wasn't, you could call it a win. Had things gone on, however, it would have been a very different story.

All in all, it was a great game with much joy for all. Every turn there were plenty of "oh, no, this can't go on" 's followed by many "OH YEAH! I"M THE BEST! I OWN YOU!" etc, etc.

All I need now is a Baneblade for these things...
Old 25 May 2006, 05:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

From reading the battle report, I can tell that the Tau player was ewither very cautios or totally new to this. It looks like his only contibutions to the game were to stun a tank and smash up a wartruk. (you alos mentioned that all he onwed was the codex, so yeah, newbie).

The game probobly would have been a lot diffrent if he had taken the Devilfish and ran it up one side, getting the Firewarriors into effective weapons range of the facility. Oh, and if he had put more effort into helping the Orks, and less into shooting them.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Old 25 May 2006, 05:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

All i own are my codecies... like i'm going to go out and buy a $70 book when it's all in my head.

Nice report. Even though medusa hasn't even started

karma given
Old 25 May 2006, 18:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Nice battle but sorry it had such a bad ending for you. Great read though ;D. And Mathhamme rarely comes out on top of luck, which I seem to have alot of when I'm losing for some reason.

Old 25 May 2006, 23:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks for the karma, JD. There will be more of these to come in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiznti
From reading the battle report, I can tell that the Tau player was ewither very cautios or totally new to this. It looks like his only contibutions to the game were to stun a tank and smash up a wartruk. (you alos mentioned that all he onwed was the codex, so yeah, newbie).

The game probobly would have been a lot diffrent if he had taken the Devilfish and ran it up one side, getting the Firewarriors into effective weapons range of the facility. Oh, and if he had put more effort into helping the Orks, and less into shooting them.
It was his first game, actually. I hadn't planned on him being there as, well, we just didn't have the "slot" for him. (as it was, he was a pretty minor annoyance). However he goes to my school, he's friends with the DA player... and I didn't see to much harm in having him come.
The funny part was that in painstaking detail, I explained the FoF tactic to him... and he had the necessary components... but he used the devilfish like it was a battletank, quietly taking pot shots with the burst cannon at every opportunity. In addition, he seems obsessed with drones, and thinks they are amazing units that will win the game with ease every time. Obviously, he's got a bit of catching up to do. In this game, the battlesuit commander's shield drones did seem to work, but that was about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis 5-41
Nice battle but sorry it had such a bad ending for you.
Thanks, but it was actually a win if you read the end bit. Just might have been different. Now that I think of it though, I don't think the ork player would have had a scoring unit on the refinery... I think everything would have been in close combat or under half strength.
Old 26 May 2006, 02:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's floor hammer, whenever I get involved in team games one opponent always quits halfway through. Anyways nice job
Closed Thread