Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hello..a visitor from chaos
Closed Thread
Old 16 May 2006, 00:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Hello..a visitor from chaos

Hello All,

for some reason, after taking a gander at some of the Imperial Guard models, (and that I love war movies - Saving pvt Ryans, The Great Raid) I think I might start Imperial Guard soon.

I seem to like the Cadian models, and the steel legion ones. I was wondering if you guys can tell me the two army's playstyle,advantages,disadvatanges etc.
Also, can you include Cadian and steel legion forces together?
I also have no idea what to get, other than the Codex.
Any advice for a beginner to IG is appreciated, thanks!

P.S. I heard rumors that Steel Legion models are not being produced anymore. Any clarification?
From the adventures of Tiny tim and Wargamer, a epic story.
AIM: CreepyDope

Armies I'd like to start next:
Imperial Guard
Tyranid
Orkz
Old 16 May 2006, 00:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Hello..a visitor from chaos

Ah... Chaos and IG have very different play styles. In chaos, what models you use actually makes a difference.

IG models do not make a difference. SL and Cadian can go together... although I suggest you go with SL, as then you won't be "just another cadian player" like most of us, myself included.

Good things to buy for starters: (in order, and only if you want to go Cadian)
Codex
Battleforce
Command Squad (only if you like the models, and the weapons in the squad kit. I personally happen to hate both)
More guys
Sentinels
More tanks
More guys
Old 17 May 2006, 01:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Alright thanks guys for your help.
Colonel Sanders, thanks for the help, and yeah, most of the IG players are cadian I think, but they are popular because they look awesome! As for the steel legions, are they a very mechanized army, or do they count as elites/or some other type of troop type in an cadian army? I also hate the command squad, the senior officer looks pretty dumb, so Ill probably use some covertin

And general dakari, heh yeah, I gave myself a rule not to buy more models until I painted all of them, and Im sticking to it (well, trying at least)

Imperial Guard
Tyranid
Orkz
Old 17 May 2006, 08:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You can use any Guard model in your army- they really don't make a difference. Steel Legion (as the Steel Legion from Armageddon) are mechanised and require a whole army of the SL models, but there is no reason why you can't have the models as, for example, hardened veterans in your Cadian army (it doesn't have to actually be a 'Cadian' army either...). You can literally use any regiment models and it won't matter, but I suggest you use them for different squad types to avoid confusion.

Don't worry about being 'another Cadian player'. Collecting Cadians over metal regiments is like collecting plastic Marines over Grey Knights without any points-cost difference (so, you will be spending a lot more and will find it a lot harder to do conversions. On the other hand, you will have a more unique force). It's all up to you, really.
Old 19 May 2006, 07:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

if you play armageddon steel legion then your going to need alot of chimeras, 5 minimum. every squad of basic guardsmen and every command squad is going to need one. this means that steel legion generally only have half as many models as other guard armies ahve, but get alot more heavy weapons per squad.

if you want to use steel legion models, however, you dont neccesarily have to make them a mechanized army. you can really make them whatever you want, aslong as its represented on the model(with the exception of warrior weapons and carapace this shouldn't be a problem)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipingRanger
As for the steel legions, are they a very mechanized army, or do they count as elites/or some other type of troop type in an cadian army?
you can count them as whatever you want. you can have half cadian have steel legion and say that they are two regiments that were merged due to casualties. or you can have steel legion models as hardened veterans(counting them as elite). you could have them as armoured fists, and say they are support squads taken from another, fully mechanized, regiment.

Old 19 May 2006, 22:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Awesome, thanks ellesar for the help.

I think once I start IG, I will have a cadian army, with hardened vets from steel legion.

Imperial Guard
Tyranid
Orkz
Old 21 May 2006, 16:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

I would suggest heavy weapons crews and (like all gaurd armies) heaps of tanks
Old 22 May 2006, 00:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

what to buy
codex
2 packs of guys to start
armoured fist squad? if you want some guys to have some mobility
hellhound? if you play horde armies
leman russ
heavy weapons team to put some haevy weapons in your normal squads
stormtroopers or convert some veterans
comand squad you can buy some guys and convert them or you can buy the ones that are premade i would suggest you put a commisar in one of them.

bigger list
another pack of guys
armoured fist squad if you havent already
leman russ demolisher
basilisk
put heavy weapons in pretty much all your squads
heavy weapon platoon? if you want serius fire power
special weapon team [snipers]
hellhound? if you play horde armies
sentinals with a autocannon or lascannon if you dont have much anti tank yet
rough riders? i like having them with hunting lances and meltabombs you dont have to have these i just like em
another comissar? if you like beefed up HQ sguads
orygons if you really like close combat
stormtroopers? if you really love special weapons and hate missing

dont get everything at once otherwise youll never get around to painting them all
I think a all steel legion army would be awsome but it would be very pricy
and i would recomend only using them for your armored fist squad and your stormtropers/ veterans

best
gorloth
Old 22 May 2006, 21:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

I'd say that you could just separate the gaurd sauads from the heavy weapons squads? Because then the squads can move about and the heavier troops can lay back and fire
Annie
Old 23 May 2006, 15:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin
I'd say that you could just separate the gaurd sauads from the heavy weapons squads? Because then the squads can move about and the heavier troops can lay back and fire
Annie
but it also makes your hevay weapons an easy kill and stops your infantry from being a real threat.

Closed Thread