Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guard Character: Gered "Caesar" Larsen
Closed Thread
Old 15 May 2006, 17:20   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Imperial Guard Character: Gered "Caesar" Larsen

Thought I'd move this here, post format has been edited to comply with sub-board rules.

Name:
Jered Larsen (aka "Caesar")

Regiment/battlegroup:
Jaeden 144th Shock Company

Stat line:
[table][tr][td][/td]
[td]Cost[/td]
[td]Ws[/td]
[td]Bs[/td]
[td]S[/td]
[td]T[/td]
[td]W[/td]
[td]I[/td]
[td]A[/td]
[td]Ld[/td]
[td]Sv[/td]
[/tr][tr][td]"Caesar"[/td]
[td]100[/td]
[td]4[/td]
[td]4[/td]
[td]3 (4)[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]4[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[td]9[/td]
[td]4+[/td]
[/tr][/table]

Weapons and Wargear:
Hellpistol, Enhanced Powersword (+1 to Strength), Carapace Armour

Special Rules:

An Imperial Guard army of 1500pts or more may be led by Jered Larsen. He counts as a HQ choice, and must be used exactly as described here.

Independant Character
Fearless
Scout (is extended to accompanying Command Squad)

Intimidating Command:
Gered is known for both his tactical and strategic brilliance, but is also rightly feared as slightly psychopathic.
- Jered will execute members of his squad in the same way Commissars do.
- All friendly units within 6" may use Jered's unmodified leadership value for morale and pinning checks.
- If Jered is killed all friendly units within line of sight must take a leadership test.

Cityfighter:
The Ceasar has led and participated in scores of geurilla operations and grueling midnight back-alley skirmishes. As a result he is an expert in these types of warfare.
- Jered and his squad gain a +1 bonus to any cover save. This gives them a 6+ cover save in open terrain.
- Jered prefers to stay mobile, to take full advantage of oppertunities that arise in fast-paced cityfights. No heavy weapons may be taken in a squad he joins.

Fluff:
"Jered Larsen is a fearsome man, ruthless and effiicient. He commands all of Jaeden's 150 companies and is known for his brutal training regimes that he insists even his most basic troops undergo. Prefering to fight from the front he is currently in direct command of the Jaeden 144[sup]th[/sup] Shock Company, with a small 'bodyguard' force of Shock Assault Troops and Heavy Armour that are often used in surgical insertions in enemy territory. He is widely feared within the ranks of his own forces, for he does not tolerate weakness. The Jaeden forces are extremely disciplined, with a strong command chain (Commisars maintain a stong commanding presence) and excellent communications network. However they are prone to over-estimating their abilities (a good example of this is the Gheeden massacre at the hands of Chaos traitor leigons) and are considerably less efficient if their communications are somehow disrupted unless a Commissar is around to hold things together. Jered's troops are firecly loyal to him, he has proved his mettle on more occasions than most men see war in a lifetime.
He has laid seige to many cities, great and small, and few have managed to free themselves from his iron grip. He has conquered so many territories and continents that he has become known as the "Ceasar".

- Rezzy
Old 15 May 2006, 18:22   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe
Default Re: Imperial Guard Character: Gered "Caesar" Larsen

I like it. Its characterful and not over powered.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 15 May 2006, 18:28   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Thanks.
Any ideas of a better name than Gered? Does it look better with a J? (Jered)
Old 15 May 2006, 18:30   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Not bad. I'd go for about 85pts in terms of cost... assuming he's an Independent Character. If he has a Command Squad like normal Guard officers, make it 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 15 May 2006, 18:33   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

Jered be good.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 15 May 2006, 18:34   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Is it possible for him to be both (I.e. be accompanied by a Command Squad but impossible to single out in combat, like a Commissar)?
Old 15 May 2006, 18:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Hey man,

A few things for me:

Strength - I would take him down to strength 3. Alter his weapon to grant him a strength bonus if you think he needs it.

Leadership - Probably would come down to 9 (read below for why).

Everything else looks good on his profile.

Quote:
Equipment: Hellpistol, Powersword, Carapace Armour, Refractor Field - possibly more, but I cannot remember them off the top of my head.
I would alter his power sword to be special. Something that grants him a bonus +1 strength when rolling for wounds. I would drop the refractor field. He's a city fighter, give him a bonus to cover save instead.

Quote:
Gered is known for both his tactical and strategic brilliance, but is also rightly feared as slightly psychopathic.
In that case, maybe him and his retinue should have the Scout universal special rule?
And he should probably be fearless; as well as any squad he's attached to.

Quote:
- Any squad he is attached to may re-roll the first failed morale check each turn.
Kind of odd to me. I would drop this all together actually.

Quote:
- All friendly units within 12" receive a +1 Leadership bonus.
This is pretty powerful. I would instead, lower your man's leadership to 9. And have all friendly units within 6 inches be allowed to use his unmodified leadership value for moral and pinning checks (but not leadership tests). It would function very much like a book of st. Lucius. It's more balanced.

Quote:
- If Jered is killed all friendly units must take a moral test
I would alter this to be only friendly units who were in line of sight. This is City Fight after all, and even with good comms, it's not so easy to just retreat, even when you want to.

--- Bonus: Any squad he leads, gains a +1 bonus to their cover saves and may not carry heavy weapons of any sort.

Cheers!
Old 15 May 2006, 19:08   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Strength - I would take him down to strength 3. Alter his weapon to grant him a strength bonus if you think he needs it.
Makes good sense. I was originally going to give him a powerfist to increase his Strength...but wasn't so keen on the idea.
Quote:
Leadership - Probably would come down to 9 (read below for why).
Done.

Quote:
I would alter his power sword to be special. Something that grants him a bonus +1 strength when rolling for wounds.
Couldn't think of anything better than 'Enhanced' for now. ;D Good idea though.

Quote:
I would drop the refractor field. He's a city fighter, give him a bonus to cover save instead.
Yup, I was dubious about it (always seems a bit cowardly to me) but I didn't want him taken out too easily.

Quote:
In that case, maybe him and his retinue should have the Scout universal special rule?
I wish I knew what that was...oh, is it what Sentinels have?

Quote:
And he should probably be fearless; as well as any squad he's attached to.
Sure, just forgot to add that.

Quote:
This is pretty powerful. I would instead, lower your man's leadership to 9. And have all friendly units within 6 inches be allowed to use his unmodified leadership value for moral and pinning checks (but not leadership tests). It would function very much like a book of st. Lucius. It's more balanced.
Done, for balance (and tidyness).

Quote:
I would alter this to be only friendly units who were in line of sight. This is City Fight after all, and even with good comms, it's not so easy to just retreat, even when you want to.
Good point, it could be used as a huge advantage otherwise...

Quote:
--- Bonus: Any squad he leads, gains a +1 bonus to their cover saves and may not carry heavy weapons of any sort.
I can see the reasoning there (I think - no extra-tough heavy weapons right?).
Actually, you can't put Heavy Weapons in a Command Squad anyway? Or did you mean his squad couldn't be supported by Heavy Weapon teams?
Old 15 May 2006, 19:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Heya,

Scouts (always placed on the board, no matter what and may make a normal move before the game starts, showing his prowess as a city fight tactician). He has this, and if he is attached to a squad, they gain it as well as he leads the brave.

As for the heavy weapon thing, command squads can take a heavy weapon. But I would discourage it, because a city fighter wouldn't really want to sit still ever. It was basically for the command squad--if he takes on. If he doesn't take one, then it's no big deal, he'll just join other units and that's that. But if he takes a command squad, just for flavor of city fight, I'd disallow that command squad to purchase a heavy weapon (that does not keep you from buying heavy weapon fire support teams, etc, just the particular 4 men that join him as a command squad who cannot, who instead should focus on assault weapons).

Cheers!

Old 16 May 2006, 08:58   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Heya,

Scouts (always placed on the board, no matter what and may make a normal move before the game starts, showing his prowess as a city fight tactician). He has this, and if he is attached to a squad, they gain it as well as he leads the brave.
Yeah I believe that is what Sentinels are capable of? Sounds good.
Quote:
As for the heavy weapon thing, command squads can take a heavy weapon. But I would discourage it, because a city fighter wouldn't really want to sit still ever. It was basically for the command squad--if he takes on. If he doesn't take one, then it's no big deal, he'll just join other units and that's that. But if he takes a command squad, just for flavor of city fight, I'd disallow that command squad to purchase a heavy weapon (that does not keep you from buying heavy weapon fire support teams, etc, just the particular 4 men that join him as a command squad who cannot, who instead should focus on assault weapons).
Ah right yeah I remember now two members of the squad can make up a weapon team...I wouldn't usually bother with that anyway because I prefer having the Assault Weapons, Medic and Vox.

Thanks again.

P.s. Still curious about this:
Quote:
Is it possible for him to be both (I.e. be accompanied by a Command Squad but impossible to single out in combat, like a Commissar (because he is an Independant character)?