Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

hey
Closed Thread
Old 04 May 2006, 06:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to SuicidalPheonix
Default hey

so.. im going to be starting an imperial guard army soon, and i wanted to know what i should start off with for a 200$ budget?

plus, i want to know if strategy is all that important. i mean, tactics and all that. or do you just charge at your opponent and hope he doesnt see you ;D. im thinking i should go pretty much straight infantry because im facing necrons and he has the stupid thing that owns vehicles... lets infantry destroy them or somthing.

i also want to get stormtrooopers. (lol not the ones who couldnt shoot a paper bag if it was on the gun) the ones that look like the hellgaust in killzone.
I used to play with 1/26th the points of a necron army, hence SuicidalPheonix (Pheonix being the name of my Hunter Cadre) but now he'll play points. plus i effectivly tripled my army size in one go. im still under 700 pts i got 653 points!!!

I be da coolest dwarf
Old 04 May 2006, 06:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: hey

okay... $200 what? Aus, US, Ca...??

Also... Tacticas are improtant (dont charge) shoot.
Read through the topics at the top of this board for ideas.

Stormtroopers? Check out some of the grenadier lists floating about (there are ALOT).

As for hellghast?... they don't look anything like them. Look more like the marines then the Hellghast
Old 04 May 2006, 11:41   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I've just looked at his webpage and it says he's canadian.
But I suggest you but yourself a codex: imperial guard first.(assuming you don't have one already)
Old 04 May 2006, 11:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, you may need more money, but I wrote this a while back. Enjoy! [Its reply number 8, so scroll down]
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=23092.8

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 04 May 2006, 12:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually, read the whole topic that stankov linked you too.

Assuming you're starting plastic Cadians. (Don't let wargamer hear me say that...<gulp...&gt You'll want to start with the Battle Force, if you have a lot of money. Ha.

The Cadian BattleForce gives you a platoon of infantry, which is one of your troop choices, except, you lack it's command squad. It gives you three heavy weapon units, which can either be mixed into the infantry squads or separate, as a heavy weapon platoon. It also leaves you with a Leman Russ, with the battlecannon and side sponsons, can really bolster your defence.

To fill your second Troop Choice, you can either get an Armoured Fist Squad which will give you mobility and a bit of extra heavier firepower from the Chimera.

or

You can purchase another Platoon Of Infantry to add more lasguns to the mix. But I do suggest and Armoured Fist Squad. It adds the second level of gameplay, and a bit more variety to your force.

Even if you do get an armoured fist squad, you'd still want to purchase another Platoon Of Infantry. These models are invaluable, even if they don't fill out your troop slot, you have 20 more legs and bodies and heads, you can potentially model your two command squads (Army HQ and Platoon HQ) and still have 10 bodies left over to use the extra pieces of your heavy weapon units. You can make missile launcher teams that are standing up, or even mortar teams that are standing up.

You'll want some Junior Officers, who will obviously be used as the leader of your platoon, and the extra can be used as your Senior Officer until you (optionally) get the Cadian Command Squad
Personally, I don't like the command squad, it's 'what you see is what you get' option is very low, as you basically have to take a medic, master vox, standard bearer and meltagunner.
But, you could mix things around, and add the meltagunner to your Armoured Fist Squad...the choices are endless!

In the end, you'll be well equipped with a large variety of men.
Two tanks-Chimera and Leman Russ
Thirty(30) Infantry- 20 in the first Platoon and 10 armoured Fist
At least three (3) heavy weapon units, but with conversions, you can have a full 5 (autocannon, heavy bolter, mortar, missile launcher and lascannon) with one unit. Lucky you!
Ten (10) command squad members- 5 from your army HQ and 5 from your Platoon HQ
That's a lot of soldiers ready to serve the Emperor with vigilance!

Don't forget Your Codex!

Good luck! For the Emperor.
Old 04 May 2006, 13:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix Cadre
so.. im going to be starting an imperial guard army soon, and i wanted to know what i should start off with for a 200$ budget?
eBay!!!!...you can get a whole army for $200

Quote:
plus, i want to know if strategy is all that important. i mean, tactics and all that. or do you just charge at your opponent and hope he doesnt see you ;D. im thinking i should go pretty much straight infantry because im facing necrons and he has the stupid thing that owns vehicles... lets infantry destroy them or somthing.

i also want to get stormtrooopers. (lol not the ones who couldnt shoot a paper bag if it was on the gun) the ones that look like the hellgaust in killzone.

Strategy is all important for IG....and that strategy is shoot for all you're worth and pray the enemy doesn't contact you .

Lots of infantry is very good, but if you do nothing else get a Basilisk to hide behind terrain, a unit of Rough Riders for counter-attack, and some Sentinels (great low cost mobile gun carriages).

I'm not a StormTroopers fan, but each to their own....I prefer a Veteran unit with an Autocannon playing on BS4
Old 04 May 2006, 15:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

There are a few things that cost a lot of money in IG.
1. Ogryns. You have to buy each one individually for 15 bucks. If you want a squad of them, you will quickly find yourself spending 100 dollars (US).
2. Rough Riders. 10 bucks each.
3. Stormtroopers and steel legion. For 10 Steel legionaries you can expect to spend 35 US. For 10 Storm Troopers you can expect to spend 40 dollars. Cadian Soldiers are 35 US dollars for 20.

How to save money with IG
-maximise your HW squads through modding or creative allocation of parts. There are many articles on the boards about this.
-Play an army that doesn't have so many men. IG has a huge hidden cost. Trimming flash off 200 cadians alone is a massive task, and then you have to primer and paint.
-Don't buy the command squad metal figures unless you intend to use them all. Buy 3 commanders individually (one for your HQ and 2 for your command squad for platoons) and use standard cadians to fill in the other members of your command squads.
-Battle Boxes are nice. 1 Leman russ, 9 heavy weapons (if you mod creatively), 20 cadians. Get two if your going cadian (read: not stormtroopers).

Summary
-IG is not a poor mans army. Hope this helps.
Old 04 May 2006, 18:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

id start off with the cadian battleforce for 90 dollars, this gives you a russ, 15 Hweapons(pm, or search for instruction on how to), and some infantry. then id buy two platoon box sets (35 each) and 2 officer blisters(10 each) and a chimera(35). with this you have a sizable platoon, plenty of heavy and special weapons, and leman russ, and an armour fist. thats slightly more than 200, but you've got a full army right there.

Old 04 May 2006, 18:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:

1i also want to get stormtrooopers. (lol not the ones who couldnt shoot a paper bag if it was on the gun) the ones that look like the hellgaust in killzone.
If you are Canadian or in the United States I would suggest buying your miniatures from http://www.gc-minis.com/cat463_1.htm

For your $200 we can get the following

1x Cadian Battleforce $91
-20 shock troops
-3 Heavy Weapon Teams
-1 Leman Russ

1x Cadian Shock Troops Box Set $28
-20 Shock Troops

1x Chimera $31.50

1x Imperial Guard Command Group $28
-5 Models

1x Cadian Officer Blister $11.20
-2 models

This would give you your Command HQ, Platoon HQ, 40 guardsman, 3 heavy weapon squads and 2 tanks. Enough to build a starting army for under $200 and if you are in the US you can add another blister of special weapon Cadians because of the currency difference
Old 04 May 2006, 18:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Guard Or Go Home
Quote:

1i also want to get stormtrooopers. (lol not the ones who couldnt shoot a paper bag if it was on the gun) the ones that look like the hellgaust in killzone.
If you are Canadian or in the United States I would suggest buying your miniatures from http://www.gc-minis.com/cat463_1.htm

For your $200 we can get the following

1x Cadian Battleforce $91
-20 shock troops
-3 Heavy Weapon Teams
-1 Leman Russ

1x Cadian Shock Troops Box Set $28
-20 Shock Troops

1x Chimera $31.50

1x Imperial Guard Command Group $28
-5 Models

1x Cadian Officer Blister $11.20
-2 models

This would give you your Command HQ, Platoon HQ, 40 guardsman, 3 heavy weapon squads and 2 tanks. Enough to build a starting army for under $200 and if you are in the US you can add another blister of special weapon Cadians because of the currency difference
Right on. That's perfect advice. I'd add sentinels to the "too expensive for a starter army" list. Especially since you need at least 5-6 for it to be worth taking them at all.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread