Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Armoured Company Advice
Closed Thread
Old 24 Apr 2006, 21:48   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Armoured Company Advice

I was thinking of starting up an Armoured Company list, and was wondering about what general guidelines to use when making a list. I personally plan to avoid doctrines completely, as they severely increase the cost of each vehicle, reducing the already low model count.

I am not particularly familiar with Imperial Guard, but having played Tau I am quite disappointed with the selections in the IG vehicle armory.

Essentially, I would like to know whether anyone finds that any of the vehicle upgrades are necessary/particularly useful, or whether it is better to stick with the hull and sponson weapons and save the points normally spent on upgrades for another vehicle.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or further advice on Armoured Company in general.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 22:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Armoured Company Advice

Quote:
I am quite disappointed with the selections in the IG vehicle armory.
as am i....as am i.... should definitely be more....have you checked imperial armor? some neato tanks in there.
I find extra armor pretty useful, as well as pintle mount guns on non-ordanance vehicles.
for the doctrines, you can stick AT shells on you HQ tank and save some points on a Vanquisher.
personally, my tanks tend to die instead of only getting the b-cannon blown up. hull and sponson weapons are pretty much your choice, some people go for only hull to max # of vehicles, some people go heavy bolters all-round (sponsons) to max on infantry killing, just in case. i go with a standard hull lascannon and sponson HBs because thats how how the models i got were built, so i gotta lump it.

HQ and tank ace tanks are good with AT shells or vanquishers or destroyers or exterminators, to take advantage of better BS.

hellhound is great against hordes, it will roast tau, scouts, stormtroopers and the like if you can get it close enough too.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
Old 24 Apr 2006, 22:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Wargamer wrote somthing on this, i belive. Check the IG tactica and do a forum search, then you might just want to ask him, he'll give the best advice, being the tactics god he is.

Anyway if wargamer didnt write it there was somthing that answered all of your questons.
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, " Where are you going? You just shot my waiter"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Learn punctuation it changes the meaning of your sentinces. If you don't I'll destroy you.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Old 24 Apr 2006, 22:52   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks a lot.* I'll check that right away.

By the way, would you consider the Leman Russ Conqueror a usefull mid-range HQ tank?
Old 25 Apr 2006, 00:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

AC really doesn't need any upgrades. A typical game goes something like this. AC player deploys all his tanks along his board edge and shoots for 6 turns. Typical List is something like this in a 1700 pt game (not using IA)

1x Leman Russ HQ

5x Leman Russ's

2x Storm Trooper Squads (2x Plasguns) with Chimera (capture objectives etc)

2x Basilisks

9 pie plates a turn from 48+" away with 14 AV on all tanks but 4

Old 25 Apr 2006, 01:05   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Do tanks not count as scoring units? Because that could be a serious problem.
I was thinking of a list something like this:

HQ: Leman Russ Conqueror
Hull lascannon+Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Elite: None

Troops: Leman Russ

Leman Russ

Fast Attack: Hellhound

Hellhound

Heavy Support: Destroyer Tank Hunter

Total: 1000 pts

The idea here would be to maximize the number of models in the army.
The Destroyer and hull lascannons on the command and troop tanks should be sufficient to deal with enemy armor, while pretty much everything else makes a real mess out of any infantry threats. The trick is that a lot of people see all the Ordinance in Armoured Company and try to destroy it, while they are in fact ignoring the mass amounts of heavy bolter/inferno cannon shots wiping out their squads. Essentially, the Hellhounds have the virtue of being overshadowed by all the other scary stuff out there, increasing their combat potential.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 03:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvesa
Do tanks not count as scoring units? Because that could be a serious problem.
I was thinking of a list something like this:

HQ: Leman Russ Conqueror

Elite: None

Troops: Leman Russ

Leman Russ

Fast Attack: Hellhound

Hellhound

Heavy Support: Destroyer Tank Hunter

Total: 1000 pts

The idea here would be to maximize the number of models in the army.
The Destroyer and hull lascannons on the command and troop tanks should be sufficient to deal with enemy armor, while pretty much everything else makes a real mess out of any infantry threats. The trick is that a lot of people see all the Ordinance in Armoured Company and try to destroy it, while they are in fact ignoring the mass amounts of heavy bolter/inferno cannon shots wiping out their squads. Essentially, the Hellhounds have the virtue of being overshadowed by all the other scary stuff out there, increasing their combat potential.
Tanks are scoring units, dedicated transports are not. A 1000 pt AC is rather weak as you just don't have the numbers. You have 6 models, your avg marine player will have about 45 marines + vehicles. Your 2 pie plates just won't cut it, eventually they will get close and either melta you or side/rear armor you. That is why you need mass pie plates. Proper spacing will nullify your 2 biggest threats and hellhounds destroyer won't make up the slack. sure you have HBs but you are still BS 3
Old 25 Apr 2006, 03:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Wow...

I finally see why some people think AC is beardy.

How am I supposed to take that down?

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 25 Apr 2006, 03:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Easy. A IG army should have at least 5 lascannons and a Marine should have at least 1 pred annialator.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 03:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Thats 2 Leman russ, one Conquerer, and a friggin Hellhound! In 1,000 points!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread