Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mech tactics - where can I find some
Closed Thread
Old 23 Apr 2006, 00:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Mech tactics - where can I find some

I'm sorry if I've done soething wrong, but I can't find any mechanised tactics.
If anyone can post a link some tactica or possibly post some advice on this thread. I'm especially interested in how to use my mech against tau, as the idea of sending chimeras against their firepower doesn't sound like fun . Thanks in advance.

Chimeras Forever!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 00:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Mech tactics - where can I find some

Imperial Armour (not sure what volume... probly all of them) should have Tactics for mechanised and Armoured Companies.
Failing them i think the Tactica Imperium will have a section on mech tactics when it is completed.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 01:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'll see if I can whip up some...

Thats something we missed in the Tactica, eh?

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 23 Apr 2006, 03:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well, here's my list, for what its worth:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=13874.0

there was a lengthy discussion a while back about mech tactics... can't find it, however.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 05:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks a lot.
I haven't put much thought into it yet, but I assume there are many ways to make it work. I just don't want to re-invent the wheel (track).
I think certain space marine tactics like the refused and pulled flank attacks can work if you have some tanks to draw/provide covering fire and one can also advance the whole force at 6"intervals behind a screen of heavier tanks. Failing that perhaps just sit back and shoot. 8 multilasers, heavy bolters and lasacannons on to of all the other special and ordanance weapons could be nasty. Just a few preliminary thoughts.

Chimeras Forever!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 06:26   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The only Tactica written on Mechanized Guard that I know of was back in 3rd edition on Dakkadakka. A lot of the basic maxims apply and it is a helpful resource. It can't be found online anymore I think, but PM me if you are interested.

Sitting Back and letting the opponent have it have always worked against most lists I have come up against (all-infantry guard are still a problem though). Though forcing one flank with your Chimeras might also be a good option... also limits the Chimera Parking LOt a bit if you can eliminate one of your opponent's flanks and use that gorund to your advantage (did that make sence).

Though even Tau would seem to have a problem with dealing with all that medium armor in a Mechanized list... the railgun may be an awesome anti-tank weapon, but most Tau lists I have seen down really pack to many of them. Just hope that your MBTS/Demos can hold them off long enough for your Infantry to either kill the threats, or your Chimeras to have wasted enough Fire Warriors that you opponent will have to fight an uphill batle to recover.

Hope this helps.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 15:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There was also a tactica written on The Command Tower...

but that too can't be found.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 02:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Basic tactics for mechanized guard is thus:

1) Put long-range runs on your chimeras. Don't waste time with flamers. I prefer turret multi-laser and hull heavy bolters, because I'm lazy and don't feel l ike converting anything this configuration gives you a bit more flexibility, with the multi-laser for hitting higher toughness or AV targets, but not losing any shots against hordes.

2) Deploy your chimeras side-by-side, so that you present a wall of AV12, with each tank's side covered by its neighbor. Deploy your troops behind the wall of chimeras, with their heavy weapons able to fire down the gaps between the chimeras. You can even put a row of troops between the chimeras, as leaving an inch between the tanks will still cover their sides ok. As long as the troops aren't in front of the tanks, your enemy will have to at least test priority to shoot your infantry.

3) Shoot shoot shoot.

4) On turn 5 or 6, hop whichever troops are still alive into whichever chimeras are still alive, and go and claim the objectives.

You should be able to put out a whole lot of decent anti-infantry firepower straight from the chimeras, so your heavy weapons should be more anti-armour/anti-heavy infantry based. Lascannons and plasma are good.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 19:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard

4) On turn 5 or 6, hop whichever troops are still alive into whichever chimeras are still alive, and go and claim the objectives.
I am sure you know this but dedicated transports can only transport the troop they were bought for. So troop A Chimera cannot transport troop B
Old 24 Apr 2006, 23:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That's an interesting idea for destroying a mech regiment's mobility. Target chimera A and Troops B. Flamers have a role in counter assault. Or I assume you could have a flamer army from hell with an assault based force.

Chimeras Forever!
Closed Thread