Shas'Saal

Default Good Idea...

Ok I am building a Genswick Rifles army. For my doctrines I am taking

Drop Troops
Sharp Shooters
Close Order Drill
Heavy Weapon Platoons
Conscript Platoons

Since I am not planning on getting an army bigger then 1000 Pt's speed and maneuverability are essential at this level. My general plan is to Deep Strike my normal infantry at objectives or behind cover. Close Order gives my Deep Striking squads some protection in case they are assaulted. My conscripts are there for sheer numbers and will be armed with a Commissar to give em some backbone. Only my conscripts and Heavy Weapons start on the table. Fluffwise my men have dug out from their trenches are appearing out of little holes. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions? Also some questions...Do you need to model Cox-Casters if you have a Master Cox? And will a Commissar execute himself if he fails a leadership test?
Old 22 Apr 2006, 18:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Good Idea...

Just remember with those doctrines you are going to plop down, stand real close together, not fire any heavy weapons for the turn you drop and pray you don't loose your entire army in the second turn.

consider you are putting all your troops under blast markers and within heavy bolter range. Your heavy weapons squads will not shoot, but they will be shot the turn they land. You will most likely not land close enought cover to avoid small arms fire. And there will be little you can do but die.

Let us say you drop far enough away that most of your troops are safe from small weapons. The enemy will simply move all vulnerable heavy targets out of harms way thus rendering your now stationary heavy weapons useless.

While I applaud your willingness to try, I think you'll find it not a comfortable method for IG.

I've yet to see any IG drop troops survive more than a turn in any battle.

W
Old 22 Apr 2006, 18:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

if youwant speed and manuverability, you dont want conscripts.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 20:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Kais

I say drop the conscripts and take armoured fist instead. You will also need to take independent commissars if you intend on having just the one commie for your gun-babies

-Kais

>>Latest Sig<<
Old 22 Apr 2006, 20:56   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kais
I say drop the conscripts and take armoured fist instead. You will also need to take independent commissars if you intend on having just the one commie for your gun-babies

-Kais
ill have to agree with kais. conscipts have suc a low leadership, that the commissar will kill them all just out of failing tests. also, try to get some armour. i dont mean the slow tanks, but try to get some sentinels.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 00:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chase Glenister
ill have to agree with kais. conscipts have suc a low leadership, that the commissar will kill them all just out of failing tests. also, try to get some armour. i dont mean the slow tanks, but try to get some sentinels.
The commissar is actually there to boost their Leadership to 10. They won't fail much.

Speed and manouverability.
Keeping with some of your current selections, for speed you don't want conscripts. Your going to probly want
Drop Troops-I'm guessing it in your fluff and it allows you more (yet less) control over where your troops will go.
Rough Riders-These guys are fast(speed and manuverability)... simple as that.
Sharp shooters- Well you picked it and it will allow your heavy weapons a good chance of hitting more often.
Heavy weapon platoons- Seems reasonable but deploy them either in your deployment zone or away from the enemy but still in range
Light Infantry- This will allow you to move faster (speed) in difficult terrain and if you can't Drop in you can infiltrate.

If you want to keep your conscripts and still be speedy and manouverable. you should consider.
Drop troops- As above
Conscripts
Independant commissars
- These guys will boost the morale of your Conscripts and prevent them falling back. They can alos add a little extra punch in Close combat
Sharp shooters- As above
Heavy weapon platoons- as above.

Hope this helps

Old 24 Apr 2006, 20:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Genswick rifles? You mean the one in Gaunt's Ghosts? No drop troops! Totally not fluffy! How is a siege regiment going to drop in the middle of an enemy?
Sharpshooters isn't really fluffy either. These guys die really fast. They need reinforcements right away. They won't be in training for very long!
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 24 Apr 2006, 21:16   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

This topic exemplifies why I hate Doctrines...

"I've got an idea for an army so I'm going to give them Doctrines to suit... well, they once saw a Parachute, so that makes them Drop troops! They spent ten minutes on a shooting range, so they must deserve Sharp Shooters! Oh, they've been on Parade! That's CoD covered! They once had three Heavy Weapons in the same spot, so from then on they used HW platoons! Now for Conscripts... oh, they just recruited someone!"

I do so wish people would use Doctrines properly for once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 25 Apr 2006, 02:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Very funny wargamer... yet so very true.

Doctrines should be used to represent the background and upbringing. Not the fact they just picked up one new recruit and got conscrpits etc. (as wargy said basically)
Old 25 Apr 2006, 04:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to king.com

Yea, drop troops tend to die horribly really quickly. I hate doctrines too (maybe not as much as some). Other than the restricted troops ones you can use are:

Mechanised: steel legion only people! or a really big game. Rearly use it.
Iron Displine: useful but can be limited.
Close Order Drill: its free... thats about it.
Veterans: use if you dislike storm troopers (how can not like hellguns?) or if you like lots of special weapons.

I dont think anything else can cut it, but thats just me.