Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vostroyan Doctrines
Closed Thread
Old 22 Apr 2006, 00:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Vostroyan Doctrines

I got my new White Dwarf in the mail today, as well as my Vostroyans. The White Dwarf article about them lists the doctrines that are semi-official for the Vostroyans.

Carapace Armour
Sharpshooters
Hardened Fighters
Heavy Weapon Teams
Special Weapon Teams

Now, my Vostroyans are going to serve almost exclusively as inducted guard in my inquisiton army, so the whole doctrine thing won't be applying to them. But, it strikes me that this is designed as a newbie guard army. Without any extra weapons, your basic squad can cost 105 points - nearly double what it should. For 110 points, I get 10 Sisters of Battle, with a better gun, a better BS (even factoring sharpshooters), and better armour. Heck, for 100 points, you can run 10 stormtroopers, with a better gun, better BS, equal armour, and grenades.

UG!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 01:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Vostroyan Doctrines

Hmm... interesting.

For the Vostroyan's i wouldn't have picked sharpshooters.
Carapace is a given as it's on the models.
Hardeneed fighters is iffy but i'd let it slide.
and heavy and special weapon teams is good. Fluffy for them too

But i can't see Sharpshooters being used
Old 22 Apr 2006, 01:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hey redbeard.

Carapace Armour: Well,I guess it's a given-they do live in a forge world!

Sharpshooters:Perhaps due to their long lasguns...kinda questionable.

Hardened Fighters:This is the one I kinda disagree with, you almsot imagine vostroyans as the Black watch, which would mean you'd want close order drill. Hardened fighters is weird, because you can only do so much with a lasgun and a bayonet.

Heavy Weapon Teams/Special Weapon Teams:Reasonable. They come from a forge world, lots of equipment for them to use. "Your heavy bolter's busted eh?"... "Well, don't worry, we'll have you 98,098,0675,833,561 replacements by tomorrow."
[hr]

You know what Vostroyans are. Trying to give the IG a Space marine feels, which attracts Space Marine players. Although, they won't like the results, Guardsmen, no matter how beefed up, are not Space Marines.

Edit: [fixed a couple of errors that were misleading (typos where another word was prduced)] JD
Old 22 Apr 2006, 01:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain

I think they chose sharpshooters because, it takes a good shot in a rubbel ridden area thats filled with dust, and often theres enough cover behind and inside the broken down buildings.
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 01:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well i would definently replace Hardened fighters with CoD

As for Sharp shooters? i suppose Far_Shot's reason justifies it
Old 22 Apr 2006, 03:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yea, its a shame they dont get custom stuff like the old rules for fielding savlar, armageddon ork hunter, tanith and such. i think i saw those in a chapter approved somewhere.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
Old 22 Apr 2006, 04:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
I got my new White Dwarf in the mail today, as well as my Vostroyans. The White Dwarf article about them lists the doctrines that are semi-official for the Vostroyans.

Carapace Armour
Sharpshooters
Hardened Fighters
Heavy Weapon Teams
Special Weapon Teams

Now, my Vostroyans are going to serve almost exclusively as inducted guard in my inquisiton army, so the whole doctrine thing won't be applying to them. But, it strikes me that this is designed as a newbie guard army. Without any extra weapons, your basic squad can cost 105 points - nearly double what it should. For 110 points, I get 10 Sisters of Battle, with a better gun, a better BS (even factoring sharpshooters), and better armour. Heck, for 100 points, you can run 10 stormtroopers, with a better gun, better BS, equal armour, and grenades.

UG!
What do you mean "semi-official", they either have the doctrines or not I am not sure what you are trying to say. Is this your opinion based on nothing, or is it GW fact to be used until the new dex containing these units?
Old 22 Apr 2006, 05:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Semi-official means it's what they have chosen for the moment but is not final.

It's like Harliquins are semi-offical.

As for the new dex... do you mean an army overveiw like in the back of the current one or actual new units?
Old 22 Apr 2006, 12:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Semi-official, meaning, The doctrines that the studio army chose for the article on the Vostroyans. It's not a codex thing. It's not a chapter approved thing. The article says you can give them any doctrines you want when you play them, and that you can choose to forgo doctrines altogether as well. It's just what they did.

I'm kinda bummed that they are not making autocannons or meltaguns for these guys - nor rough riders. I shall have to convert some.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 12:40   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard

Carapace Armour
Sharpshooters
Hardened Fighters
Heavy Weapon Teams
Special Weapon Teams

UG!
Well, this looks kinda like what we guessed in the other thread.

There is also another aspect of the special weapon teams doctrine: the fact that snipers are unequalled in urban areas, given that they have taken up a good position. Vostroyan snipers are also due for release. And by the way, the doctrines don't have to apply to all units in the regiment. For instance, the sharpshooters doctrine works perfectly with heavy weapon platoons, and less good when spent on infantry squads who incidently can make the most use of hardened fighters. Carapace armor is expensive, yes, but my opinion is that the pros outwigh the cons here. 5+ save is in nearly all cases, except CC, no save at all, whereas a 4+ save can help you out of a lot of trouble. It's not even that expensive. I admit that the total cost of carapace in an all carapace army becomes tough to deal with, but trooper for trooper it's a mere 2 pts keeping them alive a bit longer.

Sorry about that, back on topic:
Here's my thoughts. These doctrines can easily be dismissed as a newbie guard setup, but with the correct use, this regiment may become a worthy adversary of any army out there.
Closed Thread