Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Unstandard Patrol
Closed Thread
Old 18 Apr 2006, 04:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Unstandard Patrol

We are playing a campaign in my area and right now i have to use a force of 400 points with no command squads. Basically a patrol with no command squads and i can use a single Leman Russ. So the list im currently planning on using is this

9 Troop
-grenade launcher
1 sergeant
-CCW & Las Pistol

9 Troops
-grenade launcher
1 sergeant
-CCW & Las Pistol

Fire Support Squad
-Autocannon
-Autocannon
-Autocannon

Leman Russ
-Hull Bolter
-Bolter Sponsons
-Heavy Stubber
-Track Guards
Total 408 points
I am wondering if i should keep the Heavy botler squads since my enemy will be chaos iron warriors or eldar. I'm hoping that the Leman Russ and Autocannons will be able to take care of any vehichles and heavy infantry they toss out, since they are limited as it is mostly like patrol with a few exceptions due to campaign rules. But should i trade in the Autocannons for Bolters or keep them the way it is.

The fluff for all this is that these troops are reinforcements for the frontlines but their transport got shot down by eldar then some rangers decided to pick off the officers before they could regroup. The survivors hunted most of them down and are now doing their best to make it to the front without the officers help. If i win this any survivors of this i get as free reinforcements during the next battle so im realy hoping that the russ will survive more then anything else. I mean who wouldnt want a free russ poping up on the side board on turn 3-4 to cause some confusion. But anyway looking for somments on force please advice or gurus of IG.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 05:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to akthomas89
Default Re: Unstandard Patrol

I'd drop the stubber and track guards on the russ - you need to keep things cheap and they're both pretty unneccessary if you ask me. Track guards are just plain bad and you'll still have 3 heavy bolters to fire with if the turret goes down.

I'm really not feeling the autocannons - they thin out the force too much, make your heavy weapons vulnerable, and aren't really adding all that much overall - especially when you could still have 2 autocannons by just putting them into the troop squads as it is.

I think putting the russ into 400 points is really pushing it as it is - but if it's a must I'd say just go for HB/Plas and Las/Plas squads to fill up the rest of the points. Otherwise you'll be too thin on troops.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 22:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmm... I'd say scrap the upgrades, and keep the sponsons. Add a lascannon hull-mounted, just because he may have something worth taking down.

Keep 2 autocannons, and add 1 HB, just to keep things varietized. That will give you some breathing room when he brings a bunch of guardians, or teh Iron Warrior brings some Oblits.

Just my prefernces...

Good luck!

Stankov

By the by, that sounds liek a cool campaign... I think I'll steal the idea!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 18 Apr 2006, 22:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

I would advice to note have the Russ at all. It sucks up too many points, and is actually too easy to take out. Sure it has the good stuff, but all enemy fire would be consentrated on it, and it will surely fall. Take a couple of guardsman squads instead, a lot more survivability.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 03:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanks all for the idea's i want to try to keep the russ cause if it surivives i get it for free as reinforcements in a later mission and thats always nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalissimo Stankov
Hmm... I'd say scrap the upgrades, and keep the sponsons. Add a lascannon hull-mounted, just because he may have something worth taking down.

Keep 2 autocannons, and add 1 HB, just to keep things varietized. That will give you some breathing room when he brings a bunch of guardians, or teh Iron Warrior brings some Oblits.

Just my prefernces...

Good luck!

Stankov

By the by, that sounds liek a cool campaign... I think I'll steal the idea!
if you want more fluff we are doing this campaign on a jungle world on the edge of nkown space. The chaos have discovered an ancient temple resonating with warp energies and are trying to take it from the small detachment of IG and a few SMurfs who are trying to destroy it. The Eldar are claim that the temple is theirs and are trying to keep anyone from taking or destroying it. Battalion was assigned to recruit a native force of IG from a small colony when they are shot down by Eldar. That mission played out as wreckage in the middle with eldar deploying around on any side. All my command squads start outside being that they recover faster they are vets after all. The following turns i roll for reinforcemtns from inside the wreckage to come out to represent them crawling out from it. My oppontent of coruse takes a dark reaper squad and some rangers and slualghters my officers before i rout them off the table. THats why i have no officers. The reason i havea russ is because my troops manged to salvage one from the transport and several weaponsm as well as rescue trapped comrades allowing my to reinforce/rearm my troops still no officers though. My small force of survivors are now heading to the small village in the mountains behind enemy lines in hopes of getting more troops and then launching a sneak attack on the enemy temple deep in the mountains while the bulk of my allies (IG & Smurfs) attack head on through a valley. Ill try and remember to tell you how it turns out.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 03:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

Whats your oppenent got.Nothing really heavy mostlikely.Just troops,take off a autocannon and add an HB, should take them down.It may not make a difference but trade in your sgts ccw laspistols for a lasgun,more shots,more chances of hitting,your choice.
Let us know how it gos.
Closed Thread