Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Assault Guard? Should it be done?
Closed Thread
Old 13 Apr 2006, 06:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Assault Guard? Should it be done?

I recently thought up an idea of how to do assault guard you know with warrior weapons, hardened fighters the whole shabang. I was just wondering if anyone had done it before and if it was successful or not

Cheers :P
Old 13 Apr 2006, 06:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Assault Guard? Should it be done?

Read through this topic. It shoud answer your question.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=5900.15
Old 13 Apr 2006, 06:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

ive got an army based around warrior weapons. their fluff(originally) was that they where feral people recruited by the greyknights to fight orks, and the best would be singled out during battle. my soldiers saw the marines as gods, and weapons such as lasguns and heavy bolters as holy gifts from these gods..

i used warrior weapons, hardened fighters, rough riders, orgyn, light infantry. for the ones that where on their homeworld(querinteed by the inquisition). for soldiers that fought on ork worlds under leadership of the greyknights i used
warrior weapons, rough riders, xenos fighterrks, light infantry, special weapon teams and greyknight squads

these kind of armies work well if you know how to use them. dont bother equipping them with heavy weapons unless in a dedicated heavy weapons team. give them meltas, lost of them. veteran sergeants are a must, both for the extra attack and leadership. ogryns are only good in chimeras(which is why i dont take them often since my regiment is feral) if you dont go with feral than sentinels are also extremely usefull. dont give everyone powerfists, its to expensive, power swords work better. try and keep your platoon commanders cheap, with only a melta and powersword, this way you can throw them into space marine command squads as cannonfodder while the rest of your army brings down the tactical squads. once they're done throw everything you ahve at the commandsquad and try to overwhelm them with attacks.(applies to warlords, seer squads, inquisitor squads, and any other expensive command squad. but not nids, nids are their to be shot at)

to model them ive used cadian sword and pistol arms, with the odd cadian torso. catachan knife arms with pistols or cut down las carbines. men-at-arms from the bretonian sprue for a few shields and feral armour, but the bulk of my army are chaos marauders. using this gives you loads of CCWs, but few laspistols.

Old 13 Apr 2006, 14:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

assaulty IG are possible...but not using normal guardsmen. If you want assault troops, take rough riders, ogryns, or large mobs of conscripts (with independent comissars to keep them in the fight). Why? Conscripts are cheap and will always outnumber the enemy 3-1 or more. and I'll take 100 S3 WS2 attacks any day of the week! Rough riders are good for two things. One is using hunting lances to eviscerate a squad of MEQs on the charge, then die. The other is to tie up a shooty unit (like devastators) while dying as slowly as possible. Ogryns have two uses. Full squads in cover (preferably out of LOS) to respond harshly to anyone wishing to assault your gun line. Second, squads of 6 in chimeras to assault the enemy gun line. Those are the options you have...unless you are a soulless bastard who is too poor a general to win on your own merits, and take allies. But then it's really no longer an assaulty guard army, is it?

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 13 Apr 2006, 14:40   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
i used warrior weapons, hardened fighters, rough riders, orgyn, light infantry.
Pretty much my list of doctrines for my Primal army, although drop light infantry and rough riders and replace with conscripts (insert evil laugh here) and priests.

Although I've only used them once, it was a close fought battle considering what I was facing was a Hormagaunt heavy Tyranid army. I think the most memorable bits of that battle was when HSO, his priest and 4 Veterans pounced on a Lictor. Literally, they ran through some woods in a flank charge whilst it was moving towards the Conscripts. He seemed mesmorised by the conscripts, but then again, who can blame him... I was fielding forty in one unit...

Mind you, I will never forget my opponents face when he charged the leading Conscripts with two units of Hormagaunts and he asked how many were in that unit of Conscripts and I said forty and then the fact that I outnumbered him at the start of combat at 2 to 1.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 14:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

hehehe...what's really funny is 50 conscripts charging against 15 kroot....100 attacks against...30. The expected number of wounds on each side is pretty equal, but the conscripts get a 5+ save! It's a riot to see the assaultiest unit in the tau empire get beat by a bunch of 4 point models, be outnumbered 3-1, break, and get run down. I think that guy dropped kroot from his army after that...

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 13 Apr 2006, 21:50   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

It's just a numbers game most of the time with Guard.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 22:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Tyross
It's just a numbers game most of the time with Guard.
hey with a 3-all stat line and 5+ save you try and come up with something better. and dont say armoured company, at 140+ pts per model its also about numbers.

Old 14 Apr 2006, 03:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Chugmuffin

Personally I do not use it, but that's because my bro plays tau and believe me, my guys are either falling back or dead by the time I get even close to his troops. I think it really depends on who you're playing, when I did try it i had fun so go for it. Though you will probably need a lot of guys to do it. Probably a Russ or Basilisk to back them up.
- Wargamer...
Old 14 Apr 2006, 03:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

warrior weaponed consripts backed by a commisar with 'fist?

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
Closed Thread