Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Chimera Weapons Platform
Closed Thread
Old 11 Apr 2006, 01:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default The Chimera Weapons Platform

The Chimera seems to me to be a moving weapons platform that can devastate infantry like no other, mount a hull and turret bolters mortar or rocket launcher in back and have 6 guardsmen that thing would be a freakin tank. Light armoured but packing a punch thats nothing to laugh at, at a decent price too.

Leman Russ
-Hull Heavy Bolter
-Heavy Bolter Sponsons
-Pinlte Heavy stubber
-Track Guards
-Extra Armour

Armoured Fist Squad
-Missile Launcher
Chimera
-Track Guards
-Pintle Storm Bolter
-Extra Armour
For five more points you get an impressive amount of fire from the Chimera
The Russ may shoot either
-Str8 blast OR
-x9 Str5 AP4 and
-x3 Str4 AP5 shots

As long as the Chimera doesn't move more then 6in it may shoot all of this, at separate squads even since I'm pretty sure the infantry and Heavy Weapons count as one unit and may target specialty from the Chimera's weapons. (correct me if I'm wrong)
-Str8 AP3/ or a Str4 AP6 blast (the missile can fire either)
-x6 Str5 AP4
-x2 Str4 AP5
-x6 Str3 AP-

the big differences are AV and troop choice.
Yes the Chimera has pathetic armour against any heavy weapons but AV12 is good enough to stop most basic infantry. The open top might be a problem but you dont have to use the Missile launcher and keep it closed. But if the Chimera is Destroyed, which is likely considering the fire this thing may draw once they see the payload it can unload the troops can just pop out and still lay down fire and in general be a pain in the ### forcing the player to spend a turn wiping them out before continuing on to your main troops. Another thing to keep in mind is that it is only a troop choice you can still take 3 Heavy Support choices to back them up. Take a 2 leman russes a demolisher for some good tank and heavy infantry hunting then 2 of these Chimeras to cause general havoc, use them as shields for you advancing demolisher so he can get up close to use his plas cannons or Demolisher cannon. OR take all your infantry in these Chimeras plus your command and have an entirely mobile army of weapon platforms kinda like armoured core army but infantry pop out of these when you kill them.
P.S. Im not sure if something like this has been posted before but if it has im not trying to steal ideas or anything just tossing out ideas.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 04:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The Chimera Weapons Platform

Chimeras are really nasty. Mine generally run at 100 with a heavy stubber and smoke.

So at 12 inches I'm firing:

3x heavy bolter shots
3x multi-laser shots
3x heavy stubber shots
12x lasgun shots
2x plasma gun shots

Or I can unload the storm troopers and add in some more hellgun and plasma shots.

The are probably the third most powerful transport in the game behind Eldar Wave Serpents, and Devilfishes with smart missiles.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 04:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I believe that they are best when you run them as standard: 85 pts multilaser and hull las.
Then all that you do is mass them. Get around a dozen in your army.
What's cooler than that?

Chimeras Forever!
Old 11 Apr 2006, 06:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
Chimeras are really nasty. Mine generally run at 100 with a heavy stubber and smoke.

3x heavy bolter shots
3x multi-laser shots
3x heavy stubber shots
12x lasgun shots
2x plasma gun shots
i dont know where you got the plasma shots from, chimeras only have one fireing point, not two like rhinos *mutters about bloody smurf players not reading their tactica imperialis*

Quote:
The are probably the third most powerful transport in the game behind Eldar Wave Serpents, and Devilfishes with smart missiles.
i believe that place is taken up by the landraider, or manta if we get into forgeworld stuff.

Old 11 Apr 2006, 08:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
Quote:

3x heavy bolter shots
3x multi-laser shots
3x heavy stubber shots
12x lasgun shots
2x plasma gun shots
i dont know where you got the plasma shots from, chimeras only have one fireing point, not two like rhinos
I believe that the plasma shots are from that single firing point. The heavy bolter and multilaser are standard to the vehicle, the heavy stubber is pintle-mounted and the 12 lasgun shots come from the 6 passenger-operated lasguns on the hull.

It's really an impressive amount of firepower to come from a single vehicle - and sine Vimes is using stormtroopers, the plasma and lagun shots will be at BS4. I'd say that it even beats an SMS-armed Devilfish for sheer firepower, although it doesn't have the maneouvreability to employ it as effectively.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 18:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yeah...except that you'll never get to fire 12 lasgun shots...or fire the lasguns at the same target as the hull mounted heavy bolter. The three have different firing arcs...and the models that are inside firing the lasguns can only engage one target...and they're in some serious trouble if that one target is on both sides of the vehicle!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 11 Apr 2006, 19:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
yeah...except that you'll never get to fire 12 lasgun shots...or fire the lasguns at the same target as the hull mounted heavy bolter. The three have different firing arcs...and the models that are inside firing the lasguns can only engage one target...and they're in some serious trouble if that one target is on both sides of the vehicle!
'

Don't the lasguns on the Chim act just like sponsons on a tank? As per the diagram in the rulebook both sponsons can shoot directly to their front, therefore why couldn't the lasguns? Remember modeling does not limit the field of fire, just cause the lasguns can't physically spin etc doesn't mean that they can't shoot. At least thats the way I have always seen the game played.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 20:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yes they are....yes they are.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
Old 11 Apr 2006, 20:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

How about...

Hull Heavy Bolter-3
Turret Heavy Bolter-3
Heavy Stubber-3
Rapid Firing Lasguns-12
Back Hatch-Heavy Bolter-3
Hunter Killer Missile-1

That's a lot to shoot.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 21:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

speaking of HKs, does anybody kno the limit on them? and if you can get multiple, can they be shot at different targets in the same turn?

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
Closed Thread