Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Super Guardsmen......??????
Closed Thread
Old 09 Apr 2006, 19:25   #1 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Default Super Guardsmen......??????

Hi, I've just come back from my local GW after having a great time. But there is one thing that is honestly gonna drive me insane! I'm not sure if any of you have heard of 'Super Guardsman' but its spreading like a virus. To explain i am a eldar player, i used to have guard the good old 100 guardsmen & a leman russ but know it's changing. The guard players at my local GW are taking every damn doctrine in the book! in 1000pts some kid had 20 guardsmen with carapace armour, hardened fighters, Iron discipline & sharpshooters etc. They're more like damn space marines. I know people enjoy using doctrines but what these guys use is in an insult. I figured out that they are terrified of losing troops, i mean they lose a 10 man squad and their crying and arguing every point saying that (seriously) that the dice are fixed and the usual that's not fair your wraithlord is T8.

So to conclude what I've just moaned on about is that how can i stop these people, i mean i would soil my self if i battled someone with 100+ guardmen and now its fading away gradually. Oh and if this is happening to the guard players in your local GW please tell me as its slowly ruining mine & everbody Else's gaming.

Thanks.

(Apologies for any inconvenience)

Old 09 Apr 2006, 19:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Super Guardsmen......??????

how do you stop these people? dont bother, they die out. people who want super guardsmen are merely space marine players who got confused with their army choice. once they realize they are paying twice as manypoints for a marginaly better guardsmen they will realize their folly and give up. then you can go on eBay and buy their army at low low prices. if all else fails bring an army of vanilla guardsmen with heavy bolters, kick the crap outof him and show him how the 6 point model can rock the 40K universe.

Old 09 Apr 2006, 19:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Ah yes, Doctrines... can't live with them, can't live without them.

Frankly I see no problem with a sparing use of doctrines used for fluff reasons, but like everything they can be (and frequently are) overused and exploited. Expect to hear from Wargamer fairly soon - he will give you plenty of reasons to hate them and the people who use them that way.

Welcome to the boards by the way.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 19:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

You act like over tooled guardsmen are a problem.

That said, rack up the VPs!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 09 Apr 2006, 19:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

An Infantry platoon with Carapace Armour, Sharpshooters, Bionics, Hardened Fighters, and Die-Hards comes to 130 points, I believe...

Quote:
if all else fails bring an army of vanilla guardsmen with heavy bolters, kick the Klkn outof him and show him how the 6 point model can rock the 40K universe.
Agreed. My honest advice: borrow some models, and go to the next game with an undoctrinated SIGAFH. Beat the sorry bejesus out of them with standard-issue Guardsmen.

Or, just keep beating them with Eldar and then suggest that they drop a few doctrines to try the effect. They'll either break down in tears and quit the hobby, or figure out how to realy play Guard... with dolts like that, either option is acceptable, IMO.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 20:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

In my opinion, you're deserving each other, as you're trying to out-cheese and out-cry one another.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 20:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

How in the Occularis Terribus do these suggestions mean 'cheese'?

There isn't a single post about cheezing out a list to fight the super-guardsmen, unless you consider using a Wraithlord cheezy :.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 20:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Why do you need a super list to beat over doctrinated Imperial Guard? Honestly, it's just victory points for you and the sign that the person you are going against has no idea what they are doing. Also, rember that there are a bunch of units they cannot take if they have doctrines unles they opt to buy them back.

I looked at the doctrines. Want to know what I took? Iron Discpline, close order drill and Gernadiers. The gernadiers was just to get the one squad of Storm troopers I had back into organization and Close Order drill is free. That is all I bother to take. The only reason was that I would be possible to regroup below half strength.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 21:12   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think this should be moved to the Guard forum since it is primarily about Guard.

I personally use no doctrines in my larger Guard army, and Hardened Fighters, Priests, Warrior Weapons, Ogryns and Conscripts in my smaller Guard army. I occasionally swap the Hardened Fighters for Rough Riders should I see the need to include them. But other then that, that's explain away in the fluff for the army.

As for the people that use said super guardsmen, tell them to get Space Marines instead and show them how a true Guard army fights...
Old 09 Apr 2006, 21:16   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charn
Ah yes, Doctrines... can't live with them, can't live without them.
On the contrary, the Guard survived for over twenty years without Doctrines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread