Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IG forward observers
Closed Thread
Old 08 Apr 2006, 13:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default IG forward observers

Since the IG use a lot of ordnance weapon don't you think we should have a forward observer model or upgrade for a veteran.

The model could cost 5pts like a medic or vox caster and allow you to reroll the scatter dice for one ordnance shot per forward observer that you have in your army. Of course the model would have to have LOS to the target but I think it would fit with the IG and fluff of a standard army. He could carry a laser rangefinder etc which fluff wise would allow him to give exact range to an ordnance weapon which would take into account the reroll of the scatter dice or could allow the distance scattered to be reduced by half. d3" instead of d6".

What do you guys think?
Old 08 Apr 2006, 13:30   #2 (permalink)
Dom
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dom
Default Re: IG forward observers

I like the fluff behind this idea, but 40k is too small to be using heavy artillery. Forward observers are used for things like bombards and basilisks. Granted, you can use them both in 40k but I believe they shouldn't be there. The ranges involved in a game are far too small for artillery and the "real time" length of the battle is measured in seconds for a 6 turn game.

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent. The idea is good but I think it suits Epic better then 40k

Dom
Old 08 Apr 2006, 14:10   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Buy IAvol1. The Armoured Battlegroup list has rules for a Forward Observer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 08 Apr 2006, 14:14   #4 (permalink)
Dom
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Dakari
I would have to disagree there. I love artillery, and I think this would work really nice, you could always change the game length for something longer, say 10-15 turns.
Thats true, but think of the carnage that takes place in just 6 turns. Imagine how much army you would have left after 15 turns. Its not worth playing it for that long. If its large scale engagements and the use of artillery (and I mean proper artillery) then epic is the game you want. 40k is more of a skirmish with platoon sized forces.
Old 08 Apr 2006, 14:53   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'd go with Dom's suggestion, and look at Epic; that is a game system much better suited to how Artillery should be (why is the Basilisk in 40K anyway!? It should be 5,000" behind your table edge!).

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 08 Apr 2006, 14:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

The thing is, the targeting equipment is already so advanced, the forward observer cannot really change factors such as wind and rain, which would affect the accuracy of the shell-causing the scatter- you know?
Old 08 Apr 2006, 14:57   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Wouldn't they be trained to compensate for that anyway? There's more to an Observer to jumping up and down shouting "Shoot this way!"

Quote:
Old 08 Apr 2006, 15:05   #8 (permalink)
Dom
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterCresent
The thing is, the targeting equipment is already so advanced, the forward observer cannot really change factors such as wind and rain, which would affect the accuracy of the shell-causing the scatter- you know?
True, but as Wargamer said, they do more than shout "shoot here!"

13th Legion by Gav Thorpe:
http://www.blacklibrary.co.uk/produc...9022&type=Book

Details a Navy Forward observer, who was finding out the exact weather patterns directly over the target zone. Admittedly, that kind of ordnance only comes down, but its the same idea!

Old 08 Apr 2006, 15:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, no matter the compensation, no matter the amount of people jumping upsidedown and doing handstands, you can't stp the sudden gust of wind!
Old 08 Apr 2006, 18:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

no offense but lets keep on topic there are some people that like him as president so lets not make this into a political shouting match. In other words KEEP ON TOPIC.

Honestly i like the idea of a forward observer. But i would more of think of it as a 2 man team of sniper/scouts, one guy with a sniper rifle and the other a spotter who adjusts for wind and other factors. That way they fill 2-3 roles forward scout, sniper, and ordinance targetting. They can relay back vital troop information and positions, eliminate key command officials with the sniper and pinpoint high priority targets like tanks, gun nests ammo depots for barrages from a distance.
Closed Thread