Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Troubling Tau Empire
Closed Thread
Old 07 Apr 2006, 21:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default The Troubling Tau Empire

I'm a relatively new player, I use Witchunters, Eldar and most recently Imperial Guard and the one problem I've yet to overcome effectively is the Tau. Every army has it's difficulties but the Tau are the only race I've consistently lost to every game aside from a couple good luck days. The Tau player in our group essentially takes the same thing every game although Empires has changed it up a little bit.

2-3 Fire Warrior Squads with Network and Normal Markerlights + Multitrackers
1-3 Hammerheads with Railguns and all the fluffy upgrades
1-3 Sniper Teams
3-6 Crisis Suits usually with Fusion + Plasma but on occasion Fusion + Missle Pods
1 Stealth Squad with Targetting Arrays (usually 6 man)
1-2 Broadside Squads
An Ethereal (with an Honor Guard)

I have a much harder time dealing with this array using my new Guardsmen than with my other armies mainly on account of manueverability. As of right now I've tried to approach the problem from every angle and it always boils down to either not being able to see anyone when it's my turn or losing half my army on the first turn regardless how I try to conceal everyone.

Essentially what happens is the Fire Warriors begin at the table edge sometimes in cover and they do not move all game, the Stealths and Crisis suits dance circles around me popping into my firing lines to shoot and then jumping out of them behind a forest or hill all the while the Hammerheads are destroying my tanks with BS5 Railgun shots and firing Half a dozen missles over the woods into my helpless squads. While the Fire Warriors can be shot down it leaves me open to attack from every other source while I kill a 100 point squad slowly over more than one turn becuase nothing else is targettable.

The stategies I've tried in the past fail I believe in part becuase I can't survive more than a few turns before everyone is too crippled or broken to do anything once they are in range. The doctrines I'm toying around with in my head now are as follows.

Sharpshooters - Has always been useful to me for that lascannon or melta shot and helps when a 1 comes up.

Light Infantry - I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to play this one out, infiltrating a few squads may be good but trying to bring in your entire army has proven to be a liablity in the past as a smart player will usually know how to limit your chances of getting very far past your deployment if he see's it coming.

Special Weapon Teams - Demo Charges are very threatening looking, the short range non-static firepower can be handy.

Veterans- Cheap BS4 troops that can take a heavy. Less armor than a storm trooper but 90% of the time I don't get to make the armor save anyway.

Chem Inhalers - I've never been a fan of this one but with the Empires codex out and all those -5 pinning tests flying around It might be worthwhile to be able to pass one or two. Opting to be pinned makes the squad remain a threat as well drawing fire off other squads.

Any suggestions on what I should be doing to better deal with this situation would be appreciated.

Old 07 Apr 2006, 23:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Default Re: The Troubling Tau Empire

Well for one, you have too much doctrine stuff. The extra 30pts per squad is killing you. Try playing a game without doctrines.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 23:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

in my experiance your going to want

-Light infantry- This will get you close and close is somthing the Tau dont like.

-Veterans- Always a good idea to go for a squad of these guys... good in any role really.

-Storm troopers- These guys will kick the pants off Tau in the right circumstances.

-Hardened fighters- Excellant doctrine when you plan to go CC (which you probly will)

-Ogryns- If you have them take them! They will absolutly crush Tau. give them a chimera to get them to the lines quicker
Old 07 Apr 2006, 23:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??
in my experiance your going to want

-Light infantry- This will get you close and close is somthing the Tau dont like.
An item of note: The only disadvantage a Fire Warrior has over a Guardsman in CC is lower initiative. Statistically, they have identical chances of hurting each other.

Bringing 30 Guardsmen into rapid fire range with this is nasty for sure, though.

Quote:
-Veterans- Always a good idea to go for a squad of these guys... good in any role really.

-Storm troopers- These guys will kick the pants off Tau in the right circumstances.
Deep striking these into the rear with a few meltaguns is a nasty trick, it's worked against me before.

Quote:
-Hardened fighters- Excellant doctrine when you plan to go CC (which you probly will)

-Ogryns- If you have them take them! They will absolutly crush Tau. give them a chimera to get them to the lines quicker
That transport will get shot down pretty quick, I wouldn't bother with it. Then again... Ogryns are like Marines with a crappy armour save... they'll probably go down pretty quick too... unless you figure out some way to start them next to his lines, I don't think they have much chance of survival.

1. Fill all your Heavy Support choices with Leman Russes or Basilisks.
2. Bring as many Conscripts as possible. Statistics are irrelevant when you have a hundered times the dice you need.
3. Don't use doctrines.
4. Bring about 12 lascannons in Heavy Weapons Teams.

It may not make the game very interesting, because it will probably all come down to who gets first turn, but at least you'll be able to show him what the Imperial Guard is REALLY capable of. ;D

For the record, I play Tau, and the best I've ever done against this army is a draw. I've NEVER defeated this list.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Old 08 Apr 2006, 00:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

IG are THE army Tau were almost DESIGNED to beat. Get used to it. Your Leman Russ isn't so kickass, our HH can easily take it out first turn. Our basic troops wound on 2+ and allow no save... and expect them to be hitting on 3+ or even 2+.

That said, one Bassilisk is MURDER to suits everywhere. Uhhh... damn. What else makes we wet my pants...

Damn. Think of as shooty Marines, and unload more firepower into us than we do to you. It is hard, but try.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 08 Apr 2006, 01:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

It isn't hard by any stretch of the imagination.

Theoretically, an Imperial Guard Player can have as many Lascannons as points allow, where our limitation is FOC slots.

An IG player can outshoot, outnumber, and outfight (CC) us. All at once, and easily, too... :

As I said, just bring lots of Ordinance, especially Battle Cannons. Bring at least one Basilisk with Indirect Fire for his suits, and 9-12 Lascannons for the Tanks. Or perhaps Missile Launchers would be more effective... but regardless, after that, bring as many troops as you can. Skimp on HQ.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Old 08 Apr 2006, 02:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

One concept I have tried a few times in smaller games but may be effective in larger is an all infantr army. Of course this takes allot of infantry which you may not own but if you do try it. 12 mortars, 6-12 heavy bolters and as many grenade launchers as you can fit is not something to laugh at. Plus the mortars are indirect fire so they can hit thoughs jump suits that try to hide behind trees and if he trys to send a HH around you can pop it with some lascannons. http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=21797.0 is one idea, its not perfect since it doesnt meat all the rules but you could make one with the same principles. The whole idea is waste his Broadsides and anti-vehicle by not having any vehicles which every one expects from IG. What you want to do is overwhelm him with 36 range heavy bolters and 48 range mortars and lascannons. if he kills one or even a whole squad so what you have a dozen others to keep shooting. Try it
Old 08 Apr 2006, 07:54   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I run no doctrines every so often, I think the best thing I can do for myself is take a Basilisk and some Mortars to provide indirect fire and make it easier to keep some of my points.

Suits are one of my biggest problems, I don't know if its the way the terrain is set up but I've had games where there was nothing but one suit left and I would lose 12 models trying to kill it as it hopped over and around obstacles, forests and hills all the while outranging and outmanuevering everything I have on the table.

Deepstriking normal Stormtroopers was something I've overlooked on account of lacking sufficient models but seems like it could be useful for a suicide mission into a suit or tank. The question I'm asking myself now is whether it's even worth getting close. Would it be better to use massed indirect to cause havoc, while I establish a few firing lines and hold them forcing his suits closer to my army? The problem I forsee is the fact that I'm going to be outranged no matter what, the farthest I can shoot with anything short of the Basilisk and Battle Cannon is going to be 48" while a Railgun can easily sit at the table corner and still be able to fire its BS5 submunitions into me. I really hate the idea of running more than one Basilisk or Mortar team as it seems powergame-ish but I don't really know if I can avoid it things being as they are.
Old 08 Apr 2006, 11:05   #9 (permalink)
Dom
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dom

Quote:
Suits are one of my biggest problems, I don't know if its the way the terrain is set up but I've had games where there was nothing but one suit left and I would lose 12 models trying to kill it as it hopped over and around obstacles, forests and hills all the while outranging and outmanuevering everything I have on the table.
This is indeed a problem, but one sure way to beat them is to keep an eye on the victory conditions. If one or 2 suits are annoying you, ignore them. Don't waste you're time (and you're men's lives) by trying to kill them. When you get into that situation, take time to remember what the objective of the mission is. If it's holding table quaters, then make sure you have a scoring unit in each one. As soon as a unit no longer counts as a scoring unit, then use it to try and hunt down those pesky suits, otherwise just hide. Use the terrain. 9/10 missions in the rule book can be won without killing all the enemie's army.

Dom
Old 08 Apr 2006, 11:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryakas
as mention Deep striking meltas are a good idea. but another great idea is Hunter seeker missles. you dont have to worry about LOS if i remeber correctly so you can fire these at anoying suit and that will be the end of it.

another thing is knowing where to let the enemy come to you if you move correctly he will have to come to you and that means that he will have to leave his cover
Closed Thread