Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some Guard Tactics I've Been Wondering About
Closed Thread
Old 07 Apr 2006, 03:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Some Guard Tactics I've Been Wondering About

Well, first of all, I'm making all of my regular sergeants into vet. sarges, and I'm thinking about giving them bolters. Is this a good idea? I have never seen a guard player do this, and so am wondering if there's a downside of equiping them in such a manner.

Second of all, I'm going to get 8-man remenant squads with meltaguns. The whole purpose is to hunt tanks. I'll have my main anti-tank units further away from the enemy armor, and have the remenant squads move in closer. That way, either my opponent has to shoot at the cheap guardsmen toting meltas or my lemans. If they do the latter, my guardsmen should be able to get into close range with their meltaguns. And if they opt to shoot at the remenants, then my leman russes will pound them into dust. Is this a good idea?
Old 07 Apr 2006, 04:46   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Some Guard Tactics I've Been Wondering About

It sounds like what you want is a little something we like to call "suicide squads".

This means, they have one task, and one task only, they do the job and they generally bite the bullet after completing said job. The best boys for this kind of work is Storm Troopers with Infiltrate or Deepstrike. Why Storm Troopers? Because the only problem with Remnant squads doing this, is that they will generally bite the bullet before they get to enemy to use their Melta Gun. And generally, if you have a guard squad running in with a bunch of LRBT's, they're going to attract a fair bit of firepower too.

A small Squad (5) of stormtroopers, with infiltrate or Deepstrike with 2 melta's will cost you 75pts.

A remnant squad ( 8 ) (bloody smilies...) with one Melita will cost you 58pts. That's a difference of 17pts. But with the Storm Troopers, you get them where you need to be, they have better Leadership (in case of misshap that may cause the survivors to run before getting to use their weapons), better armour and you get 1 more Melita. Also, they have a bigger chance of being able to destroy said tank with the Melta before they bite the bullet, and they wont have to be "walked" like your remnant squad up the field, which will most likely attract a lot of fire.

Yes, its a great idea, and it works for many, but I think using Storm Troopers rather than Remnant squad would be more beneficial. Unless of course, you've used up your elite choice allready!
Old 07 Apr 2006, 07:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

your better off using stomtroppers like goyder suggested or getting drop troops and special weapon squads. deepstrike them, 3 meltas up the rear, they die next turn. but the absolute best for this is hardened veterans. they get 3 meltas isntead of one, same BS as stormtroopers, get to infiltrate for free, same leadership and cost less points. only downside being they dont have carapace (which is a big downside against tau and marines)

Old 07 Apr 2006, 11:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You can do even better. There is no better use for lieutenants than suicide missions. Deepstrike a junior officer (drop troops) accompanied by 4 melta gunners. Statistically, you'll get melta hits against side armor...unfortunately, those will generally be outside the 6" bonus range...but two S8 hits against side armor with only 1D6 penetration is generally enough...But always expect the team to get gunned down immediately, unless they were smart/lucky enough to land where the vehicle they just destroyed blocks LOS for them...

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 07 Apr 2006, 16:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Stormtroopers have the added bonus that they are Bs +1, yet they only cost 4 more points then a guardsmen. Also, stormtroopers can take more then one meltagun, so the chance that you miss goes down by a lot.

Old 07 Apr 2006, 16:46   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Or better yet, drop those anti-tank squads and give everyone krak grenades .
Old 07 Apr 2006, 18:29   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks guys, these options are really good.

However, I've already filled up my elite slots with a group of ratlins, a full squad of stormtroopers, and hardened veterans. Otherwise I would have just used the 5-man stormtrooper squad Goyder suggested.

As for the deep-striking part, i didn't take a doctrine system yet, so I can't use that.

What about vet. sarges wielding bolters? Could somebody give me their input on that?
Old 07 Apr 2006, 19:30   #8 (permalink)
Dom
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
You can do even better. There is no better use for lieutenants than suicide missions. Deepstrike a junior officer (drop troops) accompanied by 4 melta gunners. Statistically, you'll get melta hits against side armor...unfortunately, those will generally be outside the 6" bonus range...but two S8 hits against side armor with only 1D6 penetration is generally enough...But always expect the team to get gunned down immediately, unless they were smart/lucky enough to land where the vehicle they just destroyed blocks LOS for them...
This is true, but there is a flaw in this, as the whole platoon will have to deep strike for your JO and his squad to melta a tank. Not really worth it just for that IMO.

As for the Vet sarges with bolters, I don't see the point unless you have a couple of spare points to spend. You really need to use these weapons (as well as all basic troop weapons) en masse for them to be useful. I would give your vets nothing, just use them as a leadership beacon.

Dom
Old 07 Apr 2006, 19:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTemplar
Thanks guys, these options are really good.

However, I've already filled up my elite slots with a group of ratlins, a full squad of stormtroopers, and hardened veterans. Otherwise I would have just used the 5-man stormtrooper squad Goyder suggested.

As for the deep-striking part, i didn't take a doctrine system yet, so I can't use that.

What about vet. sarges wielding bolters? Could somebody give me their input on that?
Stormtroopers can pay points to be allowed to deeps strike. It's in their profile.

As for bolters, yes, it's a very good idea, for such a cheap price, bolters pack a huge punch, adding a lot to a squad of guardsmen...although, the price of getting the sargeant to a Veteran rank isn't always worth it, bolters are great in groups.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 22:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I play old guard, so I believe I'm allowed to equip a 5 man vet squad with 4 bolters. Ouch!

Anyways, march10k, I believe, according to teh new Codex, a command squad or section may only have 3 special weapons and/or 1 heavy weapon. Therefore, your little sheme will be minus a melta, but a JO and VS with power fists and 3 meltas is pretty scary!

Back to the main point.

I would drop the remnant down to 5, get 3, and get Droptroops. Why? Because it will present 2 more meltas, elimanate the problem of quick transportation, get your objective achieved quickly, and nullify the leadership issue.

That said, unless I'm facing an AC, I would stick to lascannon squads with sharpshooters. Hide them in little nooks in the corner, and use the LRs for advancing fire support, or stay back and support a main advance with sponsons.

Best o' luck!
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Closed Thread