Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000pts Mechanised Imperial Guard. Tourney list (and fluff).
Closed Thread
Old 07 Apr 2006, 01:36   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 2000pts Mechanised Imperial Guard. Tourney list (and fluff).

Hello everyone,

With 40k Online down, I'm going to post my list here becuse im so close to almost finishing it (I have all the models, 10% painted) but im just doing some final list checking before I set it in stone. This list will be for Tournaments and regular gaming with mates.

I'm also including some of the fluff im writing (it will be in teh next post, so you dont have to wade through lots of writing to find my list) becuase most Tournaments I go to require at least 500 words on your army (you actually get points for your background story!) so I thought, if im going to do it, im going to do it right damnit.

Anyway, without the need for my dramatics, here it is.

Marshal "Tread Heads" Goyders Caprician XVII Mechanised.

Doctrines
- Mechanised
- Sanctioned Psykers
- Caprican Hunters (Ratlings)

Note: Just a pure guard list. I didnt want any other Doctrines, I just wanted Chimera's. I then "bought" back the units that I really wanted to use in my list.

HQ
Marshal "Tread Heads" Goyder (HSO)
- Power Weapon, Storm Bolter, Bionics, Carapace Armour

Lord Psyker Kerrigan
- Honorifica Imperialis, Force Weapon, Laspistol

4 x Guardsmen
- 2 x Veterans
- Medic, Standard Bearer (Company Standard)
- 2 x Plasma Gun

Chimera
- Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter, Searchlight, Smoke Launchers

TOTAL HQ COST = 283pts

Note: Its an expensive HQ, I know. But its what I want my HQ to be, and my commander is kitted out the way he looks, "effeciency" be damned. Ill try and post a picture of him and tonight. Dont try and sway me on the Psyker either, Psykers are an integral part of the fluff to my army, and I love the little T'auk'cka'era. It also gives my HQ a massive punch if needed.

ELITES
8 x Caprican Hunters (using rules of Ratling Snipers)

TOTAL ELITES COST = 88pts

Note: Snipers are AWESOME. 'nuff said.

TROOPS
COMMAND SQUAD X
Lt. Bodenwallis (JO)
- Laspistol, Power Weapon

Sanctioned Psyker Dio Eloclaire
- CCW, Laspistol

4 x Guardsmen
- 4 x Plasma Guns

Chimera
- Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter

SQUAD XI
10 x Guardsmen
- Plasma Gun
- Lascannon Team
Chimera

SQUAD XII
10 x Guardsmen
- Plasma Gun
- Lascannon Team
Chimera

COMMAND SQUAD XX
Lt. Murray Hamblin (JO)
- Laspistol, Power Weapon

Sanctioned Psyker Franz Ferdinand
- CCW, Laspistol

4 x Guardsmen
- 4 x Plasma Guns

Chimera

SQUAD XXI
10 x Guardsmen
- Plasma Gun
- Lascannon Team
Chimera

SQUAD XXII
10 x Guardsmen
- Plasma Gun
- Lascannon Team
Chimera

TOTAL TROOPS COST= 1084pts

Note: Just as many Chimera's, Troops and heavy weaponary I can pack. There is a valid fluff reason why they only carry around Plasma and Las Tech. (Its also got to do with my love for all things plasma, not becuase its AP3 ROXXNORS!).

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Battle Tank "Black Betty"
- Hull Lascannon, Sponson Heavy Bolters

Leman Russ Demolisher "Blue Lizzard"
- Hull Lascannon, Sponson Multi-Melta's

Leman Russ Demolisher "The Galactic Menace"
- Hull Lascannon, Sponson Plasma Cannons

TOTAL HEAVY SUPPORT COST = 545pts

Note: People who've been around wargaming forums should know my love for my tanks. And yes, Sponson Multi-Melta's are EXTREMLY good if you know how to use 'em. I'm a big fan of making the Demolisher be specific in its field of pain (though that Demolisher shell can still hurt anything else too!).

TOTAL ARMY COST = 2000pts

Comments appreciated!

If you cant be bothered reading the fluff, skip the next post.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 01:39   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: 2000pts Mechanised Imperial Guard. Tourney list (and fluff).

And here is the fluff, not finished yet (As i am yet to talk about their Military Doctrines, and my armies themselves).

HOME SYSTEM

The Caprican system is located towards the eastern fringe of the galactic rim, located very close to what is know known as the ‘Tau Empire’. Out of the 12 planets located within the Caprican system, only 3 are capable of Sustaining life, the rest of the planets being dead worlds or completely inhabitable of sustaining life for many reasons.

“Homeworld” or; Caprica VI
Type: Hive World
Population: 10,000,000,000
Tithe: Various Ores, Military and Monetary
Current Governor: President De Gaulle, Elected every 10 years.
Defences: Considerable Space fleet and Orbital Defences, large and well trained PDF as well as a considerable Interplanet Defence Army (IDF. Current status: 20% engaged in the Cadian System, 30% at Vermillion and 50% elsewhere).

The primary planet of the Caprican system is Caprica VI, or, as it is called by those who live in the system, “Homeworld”, as it is the planet in which all human life originated from in the System. It has 4 major continents, taking up roughly 76.45% of planets surface. The Majority of these land masses on Homeworld are covered with mighty cities, whose tallest buildings touch the very heavens, and house hundreds of thousands. However, there are still a few Forrest and mountain ranges, but these are off limits to the general citizenry, and are used for Military Training purposes. There are however, many “simulation areas”, which represent vast forests and mountain land scapes for moral purposes. The planet is remarkably clean when considering the amount of population that live within the cities. 100% of the populace is employed in either the IDF, PDF or various other needed industries, such as Administration, distribution etc…

Everyone on the planet is Literate and articulate, which works well with the greatest Propaganda tools that the Governor has in store; Education. History, Science and everything else is modified as the situations sees to it to ensure that everybody works their best in any situation. In fact, astute people would notice that the location of Caprica VI changes on the galactic map depending on the situation. When being called up for Soldiers for the Cadian sector, a map showing Caprica VI very close to the Cadian system was displayed, proving to all that the “Homeworld” was in very real danger (the Cadian System and the Caprican system are both on the opposite ends of the Galaxy). During the Tau Empire’s sudden expansion, maps where shown with Caprica VI to be very close to their Homeworld! (It is in fact, rather distant). However, people who have noticed that their planet has this amazing ability to shift galactic planes, or realising that just the Governor that may have been “voted out” still looks astonishingly like the old governor but with a different name seems to go missing.

The populace also seems to have a High number of Sanctioned Psykers it is noted that they may be used in the disappearance of [Information removed due to Inquisitorial mandate X32.E16734.] although most are given great respect.

Caprica III
Type: Agri World
Population: 1,000,000 humans
Tithe: Food stuffs, Liho Sticks
Current Governor: President De Gaulle
Defences: Some orbital defences, small PDF, Respectable Space Fleet

Caprica III is the food source for the entire sector, its highly advanced Hydroponic and cloning labs attained from Vehiclous via the pledge of Lord Techpriest Ivan Lienstien. This allows very few workers and a small amount of space required to produce massive amounts of food. The huge plains make excellent breeding ground for large numbers of animals used for meat and dairy. A plant native to Caprica III can also be smoked, and is used so in the production of Liho sticks which are exported in massive quantities to planets and armies all over the galaxy. The planet is famed for its Long-Las Hunters, who, although not as strong as a pure human (due to the planets lower Gravity) are excellent shots.

Vehiclous
Type: Forge World
Population: 200,000,000 (servitors and humans)
Tithe: Weapons, Tanks, Ammunition and other Technological marvels
Current Governor: None; Lord Techpriest Nor’ Tham residing.
Defences: Highly advanced orbital defences, Small Adeptus Mechanicus legion, Permanent IDF settlement as part of Treaty conditions.

What was originally Caprica X was turned over to the Adeptus Mechanicus in what is known as the “Proliferation of Arms and Machinery for protection” treaty, pledged by Lord Techpriest Ivan Lienstien to Governor President Clara Nightingdale. This effectively turned the world into a Forge World, And, in exchange for the people from Caprica VI to help defend the planet, the Forge World produces practically everything for the Capricans. Within the treaty was also the allowance for the Caprican IDF to ‘field test’ new and advanced weaponry. This means the IDF is generally very well equipped with the newest plasma, Las weapons or Warmachines the Imperium has to offer, as well as other more secret, and advanced weaponry. The Forge World is also the Reason why the Capricans have a high number of Armoured, and Mechanised Divisions.

Caprica I, II, IV, V, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI
Type: Dead Worlds / Inhabitable
Population: 1000 – 10,000
Tithe: Minerals and Ore
Current Governor: President De Gaulle
Defences: Laughable.

These planets are either dead or inhabitable. Press gangs are generally sent there to mine for precious Minerals and Ores needed for Vehiclous or Caprica VI.

Vermillion
Type: Contested
Population: Primarily Evacuated
Tithe: None
Current Governor: None
Defences: Large military force consisting of substantial Space Fleet and IDF defending Neutral Zone against the Tau expansion.

In recent times, the Tau Empire surged ahead rapidly and violently. Their expansion of their small Empire collided just outside the Caprican system on the planet of Vermillion. Knowing that if Vermillion was to be captured, the tau would have a stepping stone into the Homeworld, A large IDF was sent to combat, and send the tau packing. The Tau, fighting unlike most foes of the Imperium, caught the Capricans off guard, and casualties where initially 72.5356% higher than expected. However, commanders learnt from their mistakes, and started to bait and trap the Tau forces. Eventually, the Tau come under the threat of a Tyranid Splinter fleet, and through several pressing issues thrown on the Governor, a cease fire was declared and a Neutral Zone declared and drawn up. Both forces remain on a constant Alert, and it is not uncommon for skirmishes on the land and in space to occur. But for the time being, both sides are waiting for the right time to renew an attack.

Comments are appreciated!

Cheers/
Old 07 Apr 2006, 01:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Florida, USA, Earth, Sola segumuntum, third arm of spiral milky way galaxy, the universe.

Nice fluff, interstign list, but its a little hard to justify 2-4 plasma guns per Officer squad.... > Well, you don't HAVE to justify it! jsut Pwn those +2save nOOBS. :

Khanaris: Rocks and pointy sticks are inexpensive, easy to maintain, and require little training, and almost never malfunction. That hardly makes them a perfect weapon.

"I know not what world war three will be founght with, but world war four with be fought with sticks and stones."
Old 07 Apr 2006, 02:14   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

The fluff is pretty confusing... 'Homeworld' being in two places, or was this a product of the propeganda put out by the homeworld?
Old 07 Apr 2006, 02:33   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Tyross
The fluff is pretty confusing... 'Homeworld' being in two places, or was this a product of the propeganda put out by the homeworld?
My Fluff is in the draft stages, so I could do with some cleanup, but I thought I did mention the fact that it changes due to propaganda. I'll clean that up and clarify it a bit better. Cheers.

Basically, to insure that the IDF fights to the best of its abilities, and to get the backing of the public, the locationg of the Homeworld changes so that everyone realises that they themselves are under a very real threat, and they fight their hardest, work their hardest to insure the survival of their planet. Its pretty much safe (except for the expanding Tau Empire), but they say that its not, and thus, "Homeworld" moves around on the galactic map in Galactic maps in school etc... The only people who know the truth are Officers of High Ranking, Psykers and other Trusted officials.

This was also kind of a take on the awesome book, 1984, in the way that they changed history and facts depending on who they where at war with etc...

Thanks for the comments.

Old 07 Apr 2006, 03:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Replace one plasma gunner in the command squads with a medic. With that many plasma guns, they're going to explode a lot. A medic will do a lot to keep the three gunners alive.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 04:02   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
Replace one plasma gunner in the command squads with a medic. With that many plasma guns, they're going to explode a lot. A medic will do a lot to keep the three gunners alive.
I was thinking about that, but I decided not to becuase I have a hatred of forking out $18 for 2 models, when I'm only going to use one of them. And I would especially hate having to do it twice.... I suppose I could do an order from GW UK though.

Its also trying to find those extra points to convert a Guardsmen into a Vet, then give make him a medic. I'll definatly think about it and have a look.

Cheers.
Old 08 Apr 2006, 04:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It's only one point more for a veteran medic than a plasma gun. Shouldn't be too hard to find that two points.

Medics aren't to hard to convert. Just find a small box of some kind and put in a guardman's hand. Paint a red cross on it and you've got a medic.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 03:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Heh...

something sounds veeeery familiar about that name "Caprica". Did you think of that one yourself, or did you get it from a very fine TV show?

(doesn't bother me, really, just wondering)
Old 10 Apr 2006, 04:09   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
something sounds veeeery familiar about that name "Caprica". Did you think of that one yourself, or did you get it from a very fine TV show?

I'm not sure what you're talking about! The fact that my BFG capital ship is called the Galactica is also coincidental.