Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New IG army
Closed Thread
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:04   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New IG army

Hello people ;D

I'm starting an IG army, but I'm having difficulty choosing my forces. I've already included a HQ Command Squad, Leman Russ, Platoon HQ & 2 squads, not to mention an Armoured Fist squad, but once I get there I'm stuck.

I can't decide between a Storm Trooper squad (rep.ed by Karskins), Sentinel Squad, or a Hellhound. I do have the 'Hardened Fighters' skill, & the 'Iron Discipline' but I'm still stuck.

Could you guys give me a hand and some advice? ???
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard
Default Re: New IG army

I could tell you what I'd choose, but that probably wouldn't help you much.. It's your army, and the Guard has a lot of choices.

So what kind of army do you want your army to be? What's your fluff? What's your gaming style? What are you missing when play a game? What do you think you're going to need? Give us some more info and we'll be able to tell you what units are best capable of doing what you want.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:44   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well as a next step I would choose the stormtrooper squad, these guys are always a solid choice. Fit them with 2 plasma guns and they can be a real killer, but this is just me...It all comes down to what you prefer yourself, I mean dozens of people can post their opinions here, and we are all willing to help, but a little background info and playstyle might be helpfull.

Greetz,
Alexander

"With all those big and shiny guns, it sure impresses ya when you're fighting them, but in the end it's the Imperium who is victorious"-Colonel Iskandor Craitz about the Tau

"This Craitz figure is a intresting human, he is loyal to his fractioning Imperium, but still he has honour that other humans lack. It will be a shame killing him"- Shas'O M'Yen Mesme

Armies:
Imperial Guard mech force: 1500 pts (work in progress)
Imperial Guard Infantry: 1000 pts
Tau: 1500 pts
Necrons: 2000 Pts
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hellhound. Never misses what it shoots...unless you have no manner of luck at all.

Shoot and hit at BS, then all under template are hit. Shoot and miss, then all under the template are rolled individually to hit at 4+. cover 10 guys, somebody's getting hit with Str6 flames

Wanax
Old 04 Apr 2006, 20:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmm... forget the Sentinels... I hate them... unless youre playing AC. I suggest a Hellhound if you'll be facing some tough infantry units, or horde armys; in support of Stormtroopers, they are great for taking down equally tough and numerous units, albeit not as tough.

Of course, a Hellhound will be destroyed in one nice hit with a lascannon, whereas a Storm trooper squad can take a bit more.

Best of Luck!
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 04 Apr 2006, 20:41   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If you have an army that you seem to face alot, like a friends, tell. I would go with the sentinals, for the cheap anti tank shots, out of those choices but you can never go wrong with more troops. I have a friend that I made lists for that have 150 conscripts and maxed out platoons and then some sentinals... (seems a bit like nids)
Old 04 Apr 2006, 22:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to akthomas89

I'd say go for redundancy before neat toys. Guardsmen are your best and most expendable friend, don't load points on making them 'better', and don't load points into other trinkets that will cut into your guardsmen budget.

Though if you insist, I agree with Wanax. I'm quite the hellhound fan.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 22:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

GO HELLHOUNDS!
Remember everyone. This is the Imperial Guard. We have room for both stormtroopers AND Hellhounds. The only restriction you got is the Force Organisation slots. I myself use 2 squads of stormtroopers (grenadiers) and one Hellhound. Planning on a second. And the hound also have rather good armor for it's points. As strong as a dreadnought. Even the side armor is good. And don't worry about the hound being hit by lascannons. For every shot against the hound, one less against your Russes/Bassies. Keep in mind:
We are the guard! We fight as a whole! Each unit is only a small cog in the machine! An expandable cog, that is
Old 05 Apr 2006, 20:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I love to think like that, but my personal style of play makes me think otherwise.

The bottom line, methinks, is that by getting a few single-shot units [lke AFV's] is hanging your assault support on a thread. A whole stormtrooper squad can't be killed by a lucky lascannon, but a Hellhound can. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE tanks, but relying on the Hellhound is not often as safe a bet as one may think.

Go with the coolest model... works for me!

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 06 Apr 2006, 02:36   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, judging from what he's got already, I'd suggest the infantry-based Storm Troopers or the Hellhound. The sentinel's key role is sort of nullified by the fact that you have an Armoured Fist squad. But more information would be helpful.
Closed Thread