Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Unsung Heroes RATLINGS
Closed Thread
Old 04 Apr 2006, 03:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default The Unsung Heroes RATLINGS

"Often the butt end of soldiers jokes, more then one unit has had cause to be grateful for the covering fire of a unit of Ratling snipers" (43, IG codex)
With a low WS, S, & T for more points then a stormtrooper these little guys are often over looked as too pricy and not worth the risk. But these little guys arnt's meant to be thrown in the middle of a CC fight like Ogryns, they are meant to be sneaky little snipers and they do it well. Many look at them and see their low stats and high point cost and pass them over but they fail to see their bonuses. They get a bonus for hiding in cover that increases the already effective cover saves that cant be negated except by blasts or close combat. A good way to counter this is would be placing them behind your lines or in heavy cover so they can pick off enemies with relative impunity with their sniper rifles. The sniper rifle itself makes up for many of their flaws, hiting on a 2+ and wounding on a 4+ no matter the shooters BS or the targets toughness they can be used to hit most anything with the same degree of success ranging from heavy infantry with T4 to light infantry with T3. To show this lets look at some stats

A Storm Trooper with a hellgun has the following hit percent on a T3 opponent
2+ armor save = 5.5% chance of unsaved wound
3+ = 11.1%
4+ = 16.6%
higher = 33.3%

meanwhile a Ratling with the sniper rifle has the following percent on a target of any Toughness
2+ armor save = 7.14%
3+ = 14.3%
4+ = 21.4%
5+ = 28.6%
higher = 42.85%

looking at that we see that even pitting storm troopers against opponents of average toughness the Ratlings still have a higher % of hitting no matter the toughness. If you take 10 Ratlings you can be relatively sure that even a SM squad will fall losing at 1-2 men a turn. Of course no squad of rats with guns is going to replace an Ogryn in CC or a Storm Troop/ Veteran squad at versatility. But if you need snipers will a low profile (pardon the pun) to pick of those pesky high toughness troops dont forget these unsung heroes that are really pretty cheap considering what they can do for only 100 odd points. But then of course this is only my opinion and feel free to voice your own or correct any errors.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 06:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: The Unsung Heroes RATLINGS

well mate, your statistics show that ratlings are better at killing stuff with T3 and 2+,3+,4+ or 6+ armour save. but if you take into acount the fact that strom troopers are one points cheaper, it tips the balance slightly. and lets face it, the ratlings are only slightly ahead of them. then there's the fact that stormtroopers have carapace and a high leadership, meaning they'll last longer. and dont even get me started on stormtroopers rapid fireing. so while ratlings are pretty amazing at such a low points cost they hardly compare to a solid stormtrooper squad with a melta or two.

Old 04 Apr 2006, 07:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Then you also have to take into account
-movment
-Armour
-CC ability
-The fact that stormtroops have access to a variety of weapons
-Ratlings are 0-1
Old 04 Apr 2006, 14:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ratlings rule. I once lost 4 terminators in 2 turns to a single squad of ratlings. If they hadn't been fearless, that would have been 2 pin checks, 2 fall back for 25% casualties checks, and, in the end, a man alone check. Not to mention that the 4 termies more than paid for the snipers. Snipers are great against monstrous creatures, expensive infantry of any sort, and anyone pinnable. There are armies against which they are worthless, like termie-less marines, necrons, mechtau, armored company/battalion, and so on. But against orks, 6 snipers drop 4 models per turn, and pin smaller units. Against other IG, they do really nasty things against weapons squads, command squads, ogryns, and even sentinels. Against elves, they are the best solution to the wraithlord problem and great for dealing with those smaller specialized (expensive) squads. TMCs fear them. So do broadsides. Regardless of who you're facing, snipers can nearly always find something worthwhile to do.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 05 Apr 2006, 02:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
well mate, your statistics show that ratlings are better at killing stuff with T3 and 2+,3+,4+ or 6+ armour save.
not just T3 opponents but all opponents with any toughness thats why they are so good they have the same chance of wounding a Greater Demon as a Termie or Marine, and still have a better chance at doing so then stormies. Now I'm not saying that they are better then Stormies or Ogryns as i said
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaruTal
Of course no squad of rats with guns is going to replace an Ogryn in CC or a Storm Troop/ Veteran squad at versatility.
But for what they do theirs no better in the IG army, and being 0-1 means you only can take one and still need to take the versatile stormies/vets or brutish Ogryns. Its just every army i have seen here i am yet to see a single Ratling and figured their goodness should be spread to all.
Old 06 Apr 2006, 00:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

While I like using snipers, I've never really had to use them for any target shooting. Even though I don't use Ratlings, a sniper squad is sure to pin something, especially when 3 mortars join in. Against orks, the combination is deadly, their bad armour saves easily negotiated by the massive array of pinning firepower.

I once pinned a squad of Slugga Boys about to rip apart my command section, but they were pinned in place, and a few meltas changed their mind, and the xenos scum ran off.

In my opinion, you want to target the most adept assault unit on the oppisition and attempt to pin them. Although I've used mortars for anti-infantry before, I primarily use them for thier pinning abilities and long range suppression.

Best o' luck!
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 06 Apr 2006, 02:31   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

First off, Ratlings and Storm Troopers are different units. Storm Troopers have more veratility yep, but if you take into account that with all those expensive gadgets, like meltaguns, grendes, or even a transport, it quickly tips the balance for pure points value out of the window. For what the Rats are, they are excellent at they are there to do, and as such, Storm Troopers are there for what the Storm Troopers were bought for.

Although you may say that one squad is better then another, when this in itself is wrong. All units in the game have differing strengths and weaknesses, and will excel in different roles and situations, and in light of this fact, Storm Troopers and Ratlings are nothing alike! I only mention this in that Elassar comment about Storm Troopers being better then ratlings. He has a point in that he may well favour storm troopers over rats for the roles he wants to employ the said unit and ratlings would be in a terrible state if he used them the way in which he uses storms. Like wise, if you hid your Storm troopers all the time in some cover, your wasting your Storms really. Anyway, rant over...
Old 06 Apr 2006, 21:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to smurf

The statistics are all well and good, but theres a better way of solving this.

They're small.

They're funny.

They wound anything on a 4+

They have a tendency to do so

And finally, they can hurt tanks, and do, and storm troopers cant.
Nothing in life is forever, but none of your deeds were in vain
Deep in our hearts you will live again, you're gone to the home of the brave
R.I.P Kangaroo Joe
Old 07 Apr 2006, 01:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yeah...if they can see rear armor :

And stormtroopers can take meltaguns, which works on front armor.

why do people continue to compare snipers and stormtroopers????

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 07 Apr 2006, 01:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
yeah...if they can see rear armor :

And stormtroopers can take meltaguns, which works on front armor.

why do people continue to compare snipers and stormtroopers????
I know, it's like comparing apples to battle crusiers.
Closed Thread