Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ogryn CCW
Closed Thread
Old 04 Apr 2006, 01:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Ogryn CCW

Does anyone know what an "Orgryn close combat weapon" is?

I've been wanting to use this set of rules (below) but don't know what type of weapon it's referencing. If the answer to this question is copyrighted, then any page in the rule book or codex where I can find it would be appreciated.
http://www.armageddon3.com/English/C...ps/krourk.html
Old 04 Apr 2006, 01:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Ogryn CCW

Sounds to me like a really big weapon meant for ogryns, check the rules on ripper guns. Maybe they'll enlighten you as to what it does for the ogryn.
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, " Where are you going? You just shot my waiter"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Learn punctuation it changes the meaning of your sentinces. If you don't I'll destroy you.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Old 04 Apr 2006, 06:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

As far as i know... an Ogryn CC weapon is it's Ripper Gun, as they make for a brilliant club
Old 04 Apr 2006, 06:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

thats an old rule back from 3rd ed. basicly it gave the ogryn +1 strength, but now ripper guns do that so there's no need to add ogryn close combat weapons to their profiles.

Old 04 Apr 2006, 14:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Actually, I remember even in 3rd edition, the ripper gun was described as being so tough that when wielded as a club it not only sustained no damage but had the effect of the ogryn having S5. There is the option somewhere of fielding ogryns with 2 close combat weapons instead of a ripper gun, but this trades the extra point of strength (and the ability to shoot) for an extra attack at their basic strength of 4. Screw that!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 04 Apr 2006, 15:26   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Aaaah yes the good old days :.

Basicly the ripper gun is now a ogryn close combat weapon. BTW you do have Ogryn close combat weapons in the 4th edition, but it is simply called close combat weapons as these things give no additional bonus whatsoever. It can only be used for Ogryns from the abhuman doctrines.
I wouldn't advise on these guys as don't even have a gun to shoot with :P.

Greetz,
Alexander

"With all those big and shiny guns, it sure impresses ya when you're fighting them, but in the end it's the Imperium who is victorious"-Colonel Iskandor Craitz about the Tau

"This Craitz figure is a intresting human, he is loyal to his fractioning Imperium, but still he has honour that other humans lack. It will be a shame killing him"- Shas'O M'Yen Mesme

Armies:
Imperial Guard mech force: 1500 pts (work in progress)
Imperial Guard Infantry: 1000 pts
Tau: 1500 pts
Necrons: 2000 Pts
Old 04 Apr 2006, 17:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

From reading those rules this is probably what you want:

White Dwarf (303 Australian page 98)
There is a Feral Ogryn Doctrine that allows Ogryns to be taken as troops.
These also use an aditional close combat weapon but can't use a transport or a bonehead.
This comes at a small price per model (can't be specific).

(Remeber that they can't shoot)

Chimeras Forever!
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Actually, I remember even in 3rd edition, the ripper gun was described as being so tough that when wielded as a club it not only sustained no damage but had the effect of the ogryn having S5. There is the option somewhere of fielding ogryns with 2 close combat weapons instead of a ripper gun, but this trades the extra point of strength (and the ability to shoot) for an extra attack at their basic strength of 4. Screw that!
Actually, trading in your ripper gun for an Ogryn CCW gave you +1 Str, upping him to Str 6 and giving him an extra attack. The Ogryn close combat weapon was quite useful!
Old 04 Apr 2006, 19:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Um...in 2nd edition or something? I play ogryns...lots. Their base Strength is 4, and the modification in parentheses is from the ripper gun functioning as a huge club. Trade the ripper gun for a pair of CCWs (giving +1A, per the usual rules), and they revert to their base strength, on account of having ditched the ripper gun. That's the way it was in 3rd, and that's the way it is in 4th. Never heard of a "ogryn CCW" that gave S6. Please cite a source. And, yes, the ogryns with 2 ccws instead of a ripper are a special doctrine...like warrior weapons, ogryn edition.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 04 Apr 2006, 19:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Um...in 2nd edition or something? I play ogryns...lots. Their base Strength is 4, and the modification in parentheses is from the ripper gun functioning as a huge club.
Check your dex again, both 3rd and 4th ed.